Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #1

White Hawk 27RBOK Outside Kitchen

I am on a "shake-down" first trip with my unit. I hooked up the city water and everything seemed fine until about an hour passed. After returning from the beach we came back to a FLOODED unit. When sliding the Outside Kitchen back in place (stored) the faucet handle rubs against the top of the storage area and turns on. The water filled the plastic sink - which does not drain at all. Then the water overflowed into our camper. Another poor design by Jayco. The quality in these campers is non existent. Not one but two problems caused this. 1. faucet handle turns on when storing the Outside Kitchen. 2. The drain is plugged and water does not drain. All of this on a brand NEW unit.
1Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Same happened on our maiden voyage with our 24mbh. Our cold faucet would slightly rub the upper shelf and open, although we had the drain plug in so it just overflowed. Went to Home depot and bought a $10 faucet and switched out the handles to lower height ones.
tjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #3

Outside Kitchen

Thanks for confirming that you had the same problem. Being new to the RV scene, I didn't realize that the Grey Water tank would fill and also overflow. Once I figured that out and dumped the grey tank, it was fine. Guess that's why I took it on a "shake-down cruise". Is this problem worth taking to Camper World? I can replace the faucet but what about all the other unaware buyers out there?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

I read in a previous thread that it is a good practice to always turn off the city water connection when leaving the camper. Too many things can go wrong. Sorry you found this out the hard way. Design defects seem to be a common occourance in all brands of RV's and at all price points,.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cruzin View Post
Thanks for confirming that you had the same problem. Being new to the RV scene, I didn't realize that the Grey Water tank would fill and also overflow. Once I figured that out and dumped the grey tank, it was fine. Guess that's why I took it on a "shake-down cruise". Is this problem worth taking to Camper World? I can replace the faucet but what about all the other unaware buyers out there?

Don't worry about the other owners. You should worry about drying 100% of the water from the floor system.

I don't know if whitehawks use "ultra lite weight" flooring, or if they use joists and plywood.

Either way, you can not allow water to remain trapped by insulation, or worse... Trapped by the waterproof membrane that is glued to the exterior Underside (facing the pavement) of the floor.

If you have any water trapped in an ultra lite floor, and ignore it... Total loss.

And insurance doesn't cover water damage.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

Thanks Lolead.....point well made. I take it in for service tomorrow and I'll insist they check for water in insulation. I did see it coming from the membrane underneath the trailer when I was trying to surmise the problem.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

Thanks Craig....I'm pretty sure that water was captured by the membrane. I'll take it in for service tomorrow. Not sure how they will check this but hopefully it isn't too bad.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Craig, thanks for your input to my post. I took the unit in today and Camper World agreed that there is a design flaw with the Outside Kitchen (water faucet handle turns on when the compartment is returned back into its storage position, causing water to flow unknowingly from the faucet when City Water connections is made.) Camper World said they will contact Jayco for repair instructions.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #9
Site Team

Question for 1Cruzin : Is the outside sink designed without a drain or is it a defect?

Just wondering, never had any experience with os kitchens.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

Norty, it sounds like at first he thought it didn't drain, but then realized that the water ran until the gray tank filled, then overflowed the sink. So the defect here is the handle rubbing on something when the outside kitchen is closed.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want someone to look at it as I did and thing that they left the sink drain off.

Maybe just smaller handles would clear it up as someone noted.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 08-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

The OSK (Outside Kitchen) has a drain. It worked as designed. However, so much water from the faucet filled the grey tank and backed up into the OSK sink and overflowed into our unit around the bathroom and part of the living area. Once I realized that it wasn't a drain problem and that the tank was full, I immediately opened the gate and released the water from the grey tank. It is all a result of the faucet handle rubbing against the top of the storage compartment and turning on. There is not enough clearance between the top of the storage area and the faucet handle.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 PM   #13

Yes shorter handles would do the trick. I'm going to wait until I hear back from Camper World who made an inquiry with Jayco to determine what they should do to fix the problem. I didn't buy this RV to make modifications but will if I have to. There all the same. I owned an AirStream before this one and it also had manufacturer problems from the factory.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cruzin View Post
Yes shorter handles would do the trick. I'm going to wait until I hear back from Camper World who made an inquiry with Jayco to determine what they should do to fix the problem. I didn't buy this RV to make modifications but will if I have to. There all the same. I owned an AirStream before this one and it also had manufacturer problems from the factory.
If that's your only problem you will really be Cruzing! Enjoy the rig.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #15

Thanks.....appreciate your input.