Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #1

White Hawk 28 DSBH... Soon...

OK, I'm done looking. I'm done comparing. For what I need, what's listed in the title will suit us fine. However, the stealerships seem to want me to pay off that big loan they have on their property all at one time so I haven't actually bought it yet... but I did try. Now the game begins... it's called flinch. If I flinch and call them first, they win, and I pay way too much. If they call first, I'll know that they don't have very good prospects for selling it and I'll probably still pay too much, but not quite as much as in the first scenario. I knew that they wouldn't give much fro my trailer, but the difference was a bit stark. I might as well give my trailer to one of my sons instead of trading it in...... So, while waiting for them to flinch, I have it up for sale. I know this will sound like a bit of a brag, but someone will be getting a TT in first-rate condition if someone buys it. I wish it still fit my needs, because everything is fixed, everything works, and nothing leaks. Oh well........
Old 07-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

to my experience, you can always do better selling to an individual than a trade in to a dealer
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

Yes, I always come out better financially, by selling. However, we have a trip planned in October and we will need the extra space. I'll be trying hard to get it sold so I can work out any bugs in the new one before the trip. This is my retirement present... and we're going to see our daughter, son-in-law, and their kids. We'll be taking them with us for a few nights in the trailer....
Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #4

I've accepted a good offer for my Surveyor trailer today and that will happen Saturday, so this is coming faster than I thought. My Surveyor is clean and works well, and I keep everything fixed, so it sold to the first looker. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll be a Jayco owner.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #5

We're going in Saturday morning to look at three White Hawk models. I'm pretty well sold on the 28DSBH, but the wife wants to look at the 28BHKS and the 33BHBS(?)... the one with the rear master and the crosswise bed in a slide. I'm already thinking way more dollars and a much longer trailer than I'm used to with the 33. The 28BHKS is also quite a bit higher but has 2 air conditioners... and I'm all for that... Wish me luck. I think I'm gonna need it...
Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
RAZ

The 28DSBH bunks are far taller than the BHKS. I liked the shower in the BHKS, but the bunk height was a deal killer. I was not all that big on the outdoor kitchen anyway, so the 28DSBH was our choice. It's about 1250 lbs. lighter overall than the BHKS. After pulling the 28DSBH on several trips ranging in various, significant grade changes, I am glad that we went with the 28DSBH. Your 2500 CTD may not have trouble with the extra 1200+ lbs, but I am certain that my 1500 hemi would not have done well with it.
CURT Round Bar WDH
RAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

The biggest draw for the 28bhks for me is it has 2 air conditioners. The 28dsbh is the same size but not available with 2 ACs. I'm not big on either bathroom, and not that hot for an outdoor kitchen. I do like the extra storage under the bunk on the dsbh, even if it's on the street side. I also like that it's 4 to 5 grand less... I can buy a lot of fuel and camping fees for that... We've both decided the 33bhbs is just too big for what we need. It will be interesting to see what the Minister of Finance says when we're looking at them...
Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

So much fun looking though, isn't it?
Camp Winican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

Yep!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Good luck with your new toy
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #11

Thanks for all the kind words and wishes. We looked at the 3 this morning and stuck with our first choice, the 28dsbh. I'll deliver a cashier's check and pick it up on Wednesday morning. It's not like me to pick the cheapest, but this one just suits our needs so well... we think. From all I've heard this dealer is decent with service... and stellar compared to some others. PDI will be very thorough. I'm stoked and ready to spend a night in it to check it out, It's first real trip will be to Virginia and back pretty soon...
Old 07-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #12

Congrats!

We love ours. I've learned there's no such thing as a perfect RV layout. It's all a series of compromises. The 28 DSBH checks off the most "gotta have" boxes when we started looking at the many different layouts.

The one option I wish the 28 DSBH offered was 2 AC's. Would be nice to have in middle of summer.
Campbellizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellizer View Post
Congrats!

We love ours. I've learned there's no such thing as a perfect RV layout. It's all a series of compromises. The 28 DSBH checks off the most "gotta have" boxes when we started looking at the many different layouts.

The one option I wish the 28 DSBH offered was 2 AC's. Would be nice to have in middle of summer.

Truer words were never spoken. That's my one reservation, too. I have actually said I'd never have another TT with only one A/C... Never say never...
Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Congrats!

We have a Jayflight 28BHBE w/ a single 15K air conditioner and it has worked great in the southeast Summer's of 95+ and humidity. Hope this helps.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinepartner View Post
We have a Jayflight 28BHBE w/ a single 15K air conditioner and it has worked great in the southeast Summer's of 95+ and humidity.
With a little shade, my 15K unit will maintain the temperature in the low 70's and cycles on and off. But, in full sun with no shade, my 15K unit is just OK. It will keep the trailer around 75/76 degrees but runs continuously. And that's only if I start the morning out with the thermostat at 70 degrees and keep the bedroom doors closed. I'm very hot natured. I like it COLD!

Swinepartner, have you camped in full sun with no shade? If so, what temps were you able to maintain?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:44 AM   #16

Quote:
With a little shade, my 15K unit will maintain the temperature in the low 70's and cycles on and off. But, in full sun with no shade, my 15K unit is just OK. It will keep the trailer around 75/76 degrees but runs continuously. And that's only if I start the morning out with the thermostat at 70 degrees and keep the bedroom doors closed. I'm very hot natured. I like it COLD!

Swinepartner, have you camped in full sun with no shade? If so, what temps were you able to maintain?
We've stayed at several places w/ no shade in the summer. And we keep the thermostat around 70 and it keeps it comfortable to cool duramax nag the day and cold at night. Our girls stay comfy in their bunks also. But if you like it COLD, then the 2 ACs are what you need. It's better to have it and not need/use it than not have it at all.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #17

28dsbh

We just bought a 2014 White Hawk 28DSBH in May of this year. Was pretty much brand new... got it for 19,900. Pluses..Bunks are huge, Separate entrance for bathroom, tons of storage inside and out, TV swivels between bedroom and living room, counter overhang for bar stool. The gas outlet at the rear bumper is smart . Only negative i can think of is the outside fridge is under the main bed and cycles on and off all night. No real easy way to shut it off other than rewiring it to switch off. Oh and of course the mattresses are ****...lol.
mobilehomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #18

So.... we need a bit of help getting ready. I can't find the dimensions of the bunks or the hide-a-bed. Somehow I think I've seen that the bunks are 74 X 54. Is that right? Also, that hide-a-bed doesn't look comfortable. What have others done to make that more comfortable? And, again, how big is it? Also, have you added anything to the bunk mattresses to make them better? (I might get kicked outa the bedroom sometime and would like to have a comfy place to go, if she lets me stay in the trailer, that is... )

I'm not too worried about the single A/C unit. I'm handy and if I have to I'll figure out how to incorporate another unit I can plug into the 15-amp circuit in the pedestal. My other choice for this purchase was a Winnebago Ultra Lite 28ddbh. I couldn't get 2 A/Cs in it, either... .. and the Winnebago dealer had several of those at the beginning of the model year, but they sold them all in a very short time and didn't get any more. (wazzup wid dat???) To me this White Hawk would be the perfect trailer with a second A/C... I'm actually glad the Winnies were not there because I think this just might be a better trailer. The timing is certainly better for us.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 PM   #19

Jack,

We have a 2017 28DSBH and we just camped for 3 days in 95-97 degree temperatures with very partial shade. Our 15K BTU AC had to work hard the afternoon we checked in, especially because we were in and out a lot as we settled in. But once we were all buttoned up and had the awning out and shades drawn, it did begin to make a difference pretty quickly. We closed the ducted vents in the bathroom and front bedroom so the main cabin would get all the cooling to start. It got us down to 75 degrees by dinner time (took about 3 hours), which felt downright chilly compared to the 97 degrees outside, and overnight we were able to get it down to 68 degrees in auto mode on the thermostat. The rest of the trip we were easily able to maintain 70 in the cabin during the day and 66 at night (I like it cool when I sleep). Of course, we did all of our cooking outdoors on the trip, so that definitely helped.

I did upgrade the analog thermostat to digital, and that allows the AC to cycle on and off far more efficiently (the crappy analog thermostat has a 5 degree swing, it was really annoying to set the temperature to 70 and not have it kick on until the interior temperature reached 75!). I think that the 15K will do the job for us in all but the most extreme conditions. I am planning to cut some reflectix panels to cover my windows if we ever encounter insane, unshaded hot weather, and I've been reading threads on insulating the AC unit to improve its efficiency, but I won't do that unless I find it needs it.

I DO wish we had an exhaust fan in the main cabin, however. I upgraded our bath fan to a Vortex II and it helps pull heat out when the AC is first cranked on, but I need a second quality fan to help do the job, and centrally located would be better. As heat rises and cold air sinks, running two ceiling mounted exhaust fans while the AC is trying to cool the cabin should make a WORLD of difference to initial cool down speed. It's a mod I definitely plan to make.

For the queen bed, we added a two inch memory foam topper (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and then a really plush, quilted pillow top mattress cover. No complaints from DW or I, felt like a good residential mattress to us. And BTW, the ducted AC works great in the bedroom at night, especially if you close the bathroom vents and one in the main cabin to send more air to the bedroom. And the AC is pretty quiet when you're in bed with the doors closed, which is great.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else, I'll do my best to answer any other White Hawk questions that I can.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehomeguy View Post
Only negative i can think of is the outside fridge is under the main bed and cycles on and off all night. No real easy way to shut it off other than rewiring it to switch off. Oh and of course the mattresses are ****...lol.
The thermostat for the fridge has an off position on it if it's like mine. The thermostat is located on the back side of the fridge close to the compressor. Mine had some paneling covering it. I cut an access panel into it so I can easily turn the fridge off when I'm not using it.