Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #1

White Hawk 28DSBH Purchase

My wife and I bought our first trailer, a used 2010 Jay Flight 26BH, in 2012. This year we decided to get a bigger unit and really liked the White Hawk 28DSBH. I have done a lot of reading on this forum and would like to add my buying experience for other first time new trailer buyers. This is not meant to be a criticism of any company just a account of our dealings.

We shopped the local Camping World (Gulf Breeze FL) as they had a 2016 28DSBH in stock.

List was $35,127

asking price $28,299
delivery 1,700
license fee 250
prep 599
dealer fee 499
sales tax 1,742
Total 33,089

Also wanted to see what they would offer on our 2010 26BH which was in great shape no damage. NADA for that trailer is somewhere in the 9-10k range. Their offer was $2,000. I knew I wouldn't get 10 grand but 2 was a little low. When I showed them a 2010 26BH for sale in an different Camping World with a asking price of $13,999 they had no response. No big deal didn't really expect they would want our trailer. When we told them the White Hawk was too high they countered with $31,037. Since we had a RVOne quote for a 2017 our counter was $25,000. They said there was no way they would make any money at that price and if we could really find a trailer at $25K we "should run for that deal". We thanked them and left. At that point we figured we would order a trailer out of RVOne in Orlando about a 7 hour drive. My wife was cruising the internet and found a 2016 28DSBH at the Camping World in Pooler GA with the asking pricing of $19,992.

I ended up driving to Pooler and this is how that deal went down

List $35,877

price 21,190
sales tax 1,271
license fee 250
doc fee 499
Total $23,210

$8,000 below Gulf Breeze for a unit with more options. For whatever reason Pooler had the mark down and Gulf Breeze did not. Almost want to take it to Gulf Breeze for warranty work and tell the salesman there what a great deal I got.
MarkH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

If you take it there you'd better be prepared to wait a looooooooong time for them to work on it, if they will at all. I was living in Amarillo for a short while and the biggest RV dealer there advertised that they would "Beat any deal... Anywhere!" Short version... when I took them a deal that was much better I was told... "Well, just don't bring it here for service." Needless to say I'll never darken their door again. Not wild about my current dealer that has "Warranty Forever"..... so long as you're willing to pay $300- every year for them to inspect it.

It really makes me wonder how this industry became so completely consumed by scam artists...

Good luck with your new toy... I got mine in August and I'm not disappointed. And... welcome to the forum!
Old 12-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

I just bought a 28DSBH also! I pick it up this Friday. Good luck with yours, I think my family and I are really going to enjoy ours. I was happy with my purchase, I bought it from a small local dealer that only sells Jayco. Again, best of luck with the new camper!
Buowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #4

I don't t think it really matters as far as which dealer you buy from. The dealer I bought from suks big time for ANY Warranty work!!

The only thing to hope for is that you NEVER need any work done at ANY dealer.

Thinking maybe the mobile RV guys are who to have do something you can't.

Good Luck and CONGRATS on your purchase.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #5

These seem to be pretty popular. Our dealer sold 3 in the week we got ours. Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum! Wow, you got a great deal off the list price for your new trailer. Good job! If you have a chance, post some pics of your new accommodations. Have fun and happy camping.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buowill View Post
I just bought a 28DSBH also! I pick it up this Friday. Good luck with yours, I think my family and I are really going to enjoy ours. I was happy with my purchase, I bought it from a small local dealer that only sells Jayco. Again, best of luck with the new camper!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new White Hawk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I don't t think it really matters as far as which dealer you buy from. The dealer I bought from suks big time for ANY Warranty work!!

The only thing to hope for is that you NEVER need any work done at ANY dealer.

Thinking maybe the mobile RV guys are who to have do something you can't.

Good Luck and CONGRATS on your purchase.
The dealer I TRIED to buy from suks big time for sales (I drove 3,600mi round trip to buy mine), but they have been AWESOME for warranty and other service work.
I know that is not the usual case. Go figure.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #8

Congratulations and welcome! We loved our WH, but traded up to the Eagle for a little more space.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

Welcome and that is a great rig.
There is also a White Hawk group within JOF at
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...wk+owners.html

We had to buy out of state to get the deal we wanted and did a 6 hour PDI.
I took my own tools including ladder and creeper.

I made sure we had water and electric - enough to run A/C and Microwave at the same time.

We fund they had lost the factory keys and changed some locks thus every key did not work. Found this by testing every lock.

Found some items missing and asked to see the shipping invoice and they put the propane tanks and cover back on.

Found a screen missing this was replaced by taking it from another unit.

Microwave tray was broken, found this only when we tested the unit by cooking a bag of popcorn.

I am half way thru the 2-year warranty - and have done all work myself so far.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote