Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

White Hawk 30DSRE tow weight and Max

Our new White Hawk only leaves us about 900 lbs of "stuff" before we reach the max tow weight for our 08 Silverado [7500lbs]. Our first strategy to minimize weight added was to sort all of the stuff we removed from our old TT to get rid of all the duplicates and extras accumulated over the last 7 years. I eliminated 25lbs alone in tools. The wife redid the kitchen with lighter weight dishes etc and save quite a bit in duplicate pots and pans. Our motto was if we haven't used it more than once in the last 2 years, we don't need it. If its a low use item and less than $20 or so, buy it when you really need it. Of course we travel with empty tanks [3 gal of fresh water for the potty and coffee on the road] and don't pack a bunch of soft drinks, can goods, and consumables that we can purchase near our destination. Usually hit a Wally World close to the end of the trip and load up. The WH came with 2 20lb propane tanks [easier to exchange on the road if necessary] but thinking about carrying one empty and exchanging it at Wally world. Only one deep cycle which I think I'll stick with unless we're going to be dry camping for several days. One battery is plenty for an overnight on the road. TT came with 2 swivel lounge chairs and we'll leave one at home as a spare. We popped for the freestanding chairs and table and probably will remove 2 of the dining chairs.

Feeling real good with what we have accomplished but would love to hear suggestions from others. Its kind of been fun planning all this out. It also is a bit of an eye opener when you see the pile of stuff in the barn that we have purged from the old TT.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Since you putting all that effort into controlling TT cargo weight, I would take your loaded TV/TT combination to your local CAT scale for a final weigh-in. The CAT scale will tell you everything you need to know about your TV/TT weights, plus confirm that your WDH is adjusted correctly.

CAT scale "how to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Just a thought....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Since you putting all that effort into controlling TT cargo weight, I would take your loaded TV/TT combination to your local CAT scale for a final weigh-in. The CAT scale will tell you everything you need to know about your TV/TT weights, plus confirm that your WDH is adjusted correctly.

CAT scale "how to": http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...igh-Your-tt-tv

Just a thought....

Bob
I would agree with this and add the following caveats. In general 1/2 ton tow vehicle ratings are based on ideal conditions i.e. 60F flat ground, no wind, no passengers etc. and do not include any optional equipment on the TV such as DVD players, bed liners, fog lights etc. I would take the whole set up to a CAT scale and tell them you are going to drive across several times. I would weigh your TV by itself, weigh the trailer by itself, and each side. I bet you will be over at least one of your weights when set up to go. I went through the effort you are going through with my TT and I got the combination under the weight (barely) but it was still unsafe. I figured I would only load it to 7200# the max tow rating of my TV. I succeeded in doing just that but the experience was very poor for me and my family. I was pushing the truck way too hard. It also cost way too much in fuel. If you have side winds, go up long grades etc. it is a problem. Plus you will tear up your TV. I ended up trading in my TV for a one ton TV (max tow rating of 17,000# fifth wheel or 12,000# bumper tow) to tow a 7500# max JayFlight 29BHS which had a max GVWR of 7500#. The difference in experience was dramatic, the entire setup was very stable and predictable. Oddly enough I got much better fuel economy by going from a 5.9L truck to a 8.1L truck. Sad but when you are pushing your truck very hard you will tear it up.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

We took all this into consideration when we upgraded to the WH. Will upgrade to a 2500 TV in a couple years, but did not want to bite off both purchases at the same time. Have pulled the WH twice and it handled great, felt no different that our older shorter and lighter TT. Plenty of power and torq to handle the hills and no problems with sway and drift. The first was a 450 mile pull home from the dealer pickup. The 2nd was a 100 mile [each way] shakedown run with a full load. The only thing I have noticed is the extra 5 feet of length in the new WH. Really have to watch the turns into gas stations and in tight CGs. Seems most of the extra length is in front of the axles causing the trailer to drag to the inside on tight turns. Taped a note on the dash to remind me to take turns wide. I set the dash to show trans temp and it has stayed well withing dealer temp range and I noted that I can reduce tran temp by as much as 10 degrees by turning off the AC during climbs in hot weather. We are taking precautions during travel to midigate issues with the heaver and longer TT. I plan on doing the CAT scale as balancing is important as well as Total weight. In the mean time, we intend on towing with the 1500 at least for the next couple of years while we keep our eyes open for a 2500. If we were full timing or doing a lot of long tows annually I would be more aggressive in upgrading the TV but with one long pull to Florida for a month in Feb and another 2 of 3 short pulls to neighboring states each year, I'm confident that the Silverado will do just fine.

Now back to the weight management suggestions. Any ideas?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #5

Why the extra 20 tank. With 20s on the trailer you can exchange those. Or fill them when needed at a place that fills.

40g of propane is a lot when you aren't running the heater
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

FYI... You only get 15 lbs of propane in the exchange tanks.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #7

Agree that exchanged tanks are short filled when compared to having your empty tank refilled at a propane dealer. A lot of general service style stations also short fill just to make more money. I see no problem going with only 1 tank thus eliminating about 15 + pounds with the empty tank. My old TT had 2 30's like most of them a few years ago. I only had to switch out tanks a few times when we were dry camping and using gas for the fridge, water heater, and furnace. The furnace will eat propane pretty fast at temps near or below freezing. I guess the main value to leaving from home with an empty tank is that it allows you to do the exchange before the other one goes empty. Just throw it in the back of the truck when you make a run to the grocery or take a road trip. We always try to eliminate one purpose trips and hit the gas station, grocery, hardware etc in the same trip.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Have been looking for a CAT scale near my home. Closest is 47 miles [I live in the middle of nowhere]. At the suggestion of a friend, I stopped at a gravel quarry thats only 10 miles away and ask about weighing my RV. The lady in the office said no problem just drop by during working hours and here's the kicker, the cost is $1 per pass. Told her I was retired and on a fixed income and she laughed. $1 each pass. Anyway, now I have a plan.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
snip...... I stopped at a gravel quarry thats only 10 miles away and ask about weighing my RV....snip
CAT scales have three independent weighing platforms (reference my prior link), but most gravel pits have a single platform ....., just means a few more independent axle weight readings, and setting just the TT tongue jack stand on the single platform for a loaded tongue reading (disconnected from TV).

Lets us know how your weights turn out.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
CAT scales have three independent weighing platforms (reference my prior link), but most gravel pits have a single platform ....., just means a few more independent axle weight readings, and setting just the TT tongue jack stand on the single platform for a loaded tongue reading (disconnected from TV).

Lets us know how your weights turn out.

Bob
The set up is a little awkward compared to a CAT but its close to home and it will get the job done. Will find a day and time when they are "slow" and take a friend to help with the positioning things and disconnecting and re connecting the trailer for a TT only disconnected weight. Its a large operation so I know their scales are calibrated on a regular basis. They seemed happy to work with me and sounds like I won't be the first RV to use their scales. Its good to live in a rural area. For the most part people are helpful and willing to do things for you that big city businesses wouldn't bother with.