Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2022, 02:41 PM   #1

White Hawk and cold camping

I am going to take my 2016 Jayco White Hawk 29REKS out for the first time in “cold” camping conditions. By cold, I’m in southern New Mexico. The temps just before sunrise will probably dip down to around 25 or so. If a cold snap blows through, maybe it’ll be lower. But it could also be warmer.

I know that a number of other RVs are still being used down here in December and beyond. So, cold camping isn’t an uncommon thing.

What are the best precautions do take? Thanks!
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

During my winter stay in Texas I use a 25ft Camco heated hose from the RV resort water supply spigot to my softener inlet, and another Camco 10ft heated hose from the softener outlet to my TT's city water connection. My softener sits in an insulated bucket and I insulate-wrap the RV resort water supply spigot.

If there is a forecast for a multi-day hard-freeze, I will fill my fresh water tank because the RV resort shuts the water supply off during hard freezes.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #3

I have a 2017 Whitehawk and have no problem camping in weather down to about 25 degrees. Our underside is covered in black plastic. I used a Camco heated hose, just like Rustic Eagle, but every campground I've stayed in requires that you disconnect city water if temperatures drops below freezing. The one thing I did do after our first "cold" trip was go plug all of the openings into the interior. For example, in the bathroom closet the vent pipe ran through the closet, there was no insulation around the pipe where it passed through, and that part was open to the outside kitchen. Never had a problem with any of my water lines freezing.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote