Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #1

White Hawk - why can't I keep my mouth shut!!

We have a perfectly adequate Jay Feather, and by "perfectly adequate" I mean "I wish it had a little more room". On our last trip out I made the mistake of turning to the Little Missus and saying "you know, I wish we had a little more room". Once those words are out my friends, you can't put them back in.

So skip forward and we had settled on a Jay Flight 28BHS, having gone all the way through the dealer negotiation process. Yesterday we went down to the dealer to put down a deposit - we're ordering to get what we want - and my wife says she just wants to "take a look around". I don't know if any of you know how that goes, but the nice 7000 lb., 33' 28BHS suddenly became an 8500 lb., 36' 32BHDS and away we went!

Skipping forward again to last night and she discovered the White Hawk 31BH. It's a few hundred pounds lighter than the Jay Flight 32BHDS, but that money It's pricier than the similar floorplan of the Eagle HT 295DBOK. What kind of hoodoo is that?

I know we don't see much from White Hawkers on here - can anyone tell me why they're so expensive? And are they nice trailers?

Tom
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #2

This is our 2nd White Hawk. If it’s going to be Jayco, the White Hawk line is very nice. I’ve looked at Jay Flight and Jay Feather, but they use cheaper interior/exterior components.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
This is our 2nd White Hawk. If it’s going to be Jayco, the White Hawk line is very nice. I’ve looked at Jay Flight and Jay Feather, but they use cheaper interior/exterior components.

I really like the Jay Flight aluminum sided option. Such a classic look. White Hawks look great though, but man they're expensive. Guess I'll be emailing the dealer tomorrow. Thought we were done but we're just getting started.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

IIRC, when we were looking, the White Hawks were a lighter a less expensive alternative to the Jay Flights! That was a bit over 3 years ago, but maybe times have changed....
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #5

I remember the same Oldman and it wasn't that long ago when we bought our Jay Flight...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #6

We passed on the White Hawk and went with the Jay Flight 28BHS for one reason and that was the fresh water capacity. We boondock when we camp and the White Hawk only offered 39 gallson of fresh water I believe and the 28BHS with the Elite package doubles that capacity.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
I really like the Jay Flight aluminum sided option. Such a classic look. White Hawks look great though, but man they're expensive. Guess I'll be emailing the dealer tomorrow. Thought we were done but we're just getting started.

My Whitehawk is pretty doggone solid. It gets towed across cow pastures so I have a cool, dry place to sleep when participating in dirt bike hare scrambles and enduro races. My 24MBH has had no issues in just over two years and I'm a happy owner.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

Hello,

I have a 27 DSRL... Its nice.. I am not found of the layout.. My wife loves it.. Pulls well. Good quality. I like the 18's better. Nicer, more practical outside scheme.. and better layouts.
My main issue as another here called out is the fresh water, and grey storage. Lacking compared to other models. I would imagine their research says that people who buy these have a tendency to stay at sites with full hook ups. If you do.. I would recommend.. if you dry camp.. might look elsewhere.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #9

I just went through this last night. We are bringing home the JF 28BHS on Thursday. I believe the main difference in price is the White Hawk is fiberglass construction vs. the aluminum on the Jay Flight.
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

Quote:
We have a perfectly adequate Jay Feather, and by "perfectly adequate" I mean "I wish it had a little more room". On our last trip out I made the mistake of turning to the Little Missus and saying "you know, I wish we had a little more room". Once those words are out my friends, you can't put them back in.

So skip forward and we had settled on a Jay Flight 28BHS, having gone all the way through the dealer negotiation process. Yesterday we went down to the dealer to put down a deposit - we're ordering to get what we want - and my wife says she just wants to "take a look around". I don't know if any of you know how that goes, but the nice 7000 lb., 33' 28BHS suddenly became an 8500 lb., 36' 32BHDS and away we went!

Skipping forward again to last night and she discovered the White Hawk 31BH. It's a few hundred pounds lighter than the Jay Flight 32BHDS, but that money It's pricier than the similar floorplan of the Eagle HT 295DBOK. What kind of hoodoo is that?

I know we don't see much from White Hawkers on here - can anyone tell me why they're so expensive? And are they nice trailers?

Tom
Yes, I know that story. May the "mistake" of taking my wife to an RV show. What do I have to show for it? A new 28RLS and a new to me F-250 to tow it with.

Enjoy the new TT!

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
Yes, I know that story. May the "mistake" of taking my wife to an RV show. What do I have to show for it? A new 28RLS and a new to me F-250 to tow it with.

Enjoy the new TT!
Same situation. We love EVERYTHING about our 2017 275RlSW...except only 1 13500 ac and a 30 amp service. Looking all winter to see if we find EXACTLY what we want
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:20 PM   #12

The only problem is stick and aluminum don’t like hail. If my WH28RL was aluminum, both sides would be done already, with two spring storms. My fiberglass WH has zero damage even though when inside, it sounded like the windows were going to break. Big difference.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
IIRC, when we were looking, the White Hawks were a lighter a less expensive alternative to the Jay Flights! That was a bit over 3 years ago, but maybe times have changed....

The Jay Flight 28BHS and White Hawk 29BH are comparable in floorplan, length, and weight. Comparable but not exact. The Hawk is about a foot longer and is a few hundred pounds heavier. The difference in MSRP: White Hawk is $43,553, Jay Flight $29,303. That's not insignificant. The two "we" are looking at are also comparable: White Hawk 31BH is $47,219, Jay Flight 32BH is $32,826. That's roughly 1.5 times as expensive.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #14

Our White Hawk has been solid! As to expensive... if I remember correctly list was $37,000- or there about, and we paid $26,000- drive out... I didn't think that was too bad.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
Quote:

Tom

Hey Tom,

The first thing you need to do is put blinders on that woman. LOL
The second thing is take the computer and cell phone away from her and give a rock and a chisel.

What the heck am I saying!!!

I went thru the same thing with my wife.
As the old saying goes, doesn't matter how much money it cost you,
"Happy Wife, Happy Life."

I don't have a PhD, but my DD-214 is worth much more.

Live, so that when your children hear the words “Ethics,” “Integrity,” “Honor” or “Trust,” they think of You!
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #16

We have a 2017 27Dsrl Whitehawk. I compared it to a comparable jay flight. Yes th flight was cheaper. How ever it was cheaper. Interior. Appliances etc. I also like the more aerodynamic body. I also like th fiberglass and aluminum body. New about 38k and bought it for 29k.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #17

We really love our White Hawk. We had one huge advantage in buying it - someone had used it 4 times and traded it in on a bigger 5th wheel. Our gain, with a 6 month old trailer that was a few thousand less than new. It is a very nice rig. We use it in RV parks and dry camping, and use the "redneck shower" to keep from filling the grey tank when boondocking. That's a shower stall I made from PVC pipe, a light tarp, and some bungee cords that we put outside at the outside shower (using the hot water heater!). We have a couple of 5 gallon water cans that keep us filled up with freshwater.
Empty nesters - traded bunk beds for recliners

States camped in:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic50318_3.gif
Tom51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #18

Hi,
2015, 27' DSRL here. Bought new. List was around $34,000. got a "show special" and paid closer to $26,000. This was with Summit Edition and Polar package. We also chose different tires than the chinese OEMs and wanted 30 gal propane tanks. Point is, shop a little bit and you'll get a really nice trailer at a reasonable price that you will be happy with.
The only concern I have with Jayco today is that they're owned by Keystone. Before 2017 they were an independent company known for a quality product and pretty good customer service - often going way beyond what their warranty offered. Not sure if new company ownership will continue the tradition.
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #19

OOOPS! I know I said Keystone in above post. I meant Thor. Either way, my point was that conglomerates don't usually strive for excellent quality with outstanding customer service. They strive for excellent profits with outstanding dividends (to share holders).
G&BOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #20

We picked up our White Hawk about 17 months ago and we just came back from our 16th trip. This is our first trailer and fortunately we had an outstanding sales rep that got us pointed in the right direction. The biggest selling point for us was the Murphy bed. This is a 24' that lives like a 30'. At night we turn the trailer into a bed room and in the morning we turn it back into a living room. It's just my wife and I so this wouldn't work for everyone but for us it's perfect. The RV is very solid and only weighs in at about 5200lbs. Our last long trip was just over 2200 miles and I only spent $450 in gas. Lite is good! On the downside we just put the third new toilet in but I'm pretty sure most of that falls on the service department who has five pages of one star ratings on the website. I will be looking for a new repair shop as soon as the warranty runs out. Overall very satisfied with the White Hawk.
RonM is offline   Reply With Quote