Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 AM   #1

Whitehawk 24 MBH

Hi-

Went to a local dealer today and they don't ever carry this model because it hasn't been popular.

I really like the floor plan, so wanted to see if any current owners could share feedback on this model.

Is it spacious or cramped? How comfortable and big is the murphy bed? Do you recommend it or am I better off going to something like the 28 DSBH?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #2

We bought one a few months ago. Originally we were thinking about a trailer in the 26'-28' area. We decided on the 24mbh becuse it seamed more open with the bed up out of the way compared to having the bed always down and the partition wall. This being our first trailer we are extremely happy with it. As far as room we ( me, wife , 7 &3 year old and a boxer ) don't feel cramped while camping. The queen size mattress is hard as a rock. We wound up buying a 3" memory foam topper from Costco and it helped immensely. Any other questions just ask.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Scotty,
Had the '14 version that was a 23mbh for 2 years. It was a nice camper but got too small as the kid got bigger. Now we have a 27bhs Jay Flight and its much roomier.
The downsides I saw living with the 23mbh were, not a lot of storage, no pass through in the front due to the Murphy bed. The folding bed trick was neat for a while but it did get old. It's also kind of a pain if you want to go to bed and nobody else does because you're in the living room and the couch goes away when you go to bed. The rear bunks are fine for any kid up to about 14 in my opinion, then they are pretty small after that. The newer 24mbh may have bigger beds so that may not apply to you.
As for Murphy bed size ours was a queen but was 74" long instead of 80" like the Jay Flights are.
If you have a half ton pickup then it may be for you as it was easy to tow for sure. Never had a bit of trouble out of mine, pretty much why I stayed with Jayco for the next one.
Good luck with whatever you decide, there are other manufacturers that use a Murphy bed as well but they are kind of rare too.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #4

We just purchased a new 2015 23MBH and took it out for our maiden voyage. We are moving up from a Lance Truck Camper, so it obviously is much more spacious. It's just my wife and I right now, but every time we go camping our grown daughters want to go, so we always can use the extra room and bunks. Not to mention our new grand son. We wanted something bigger but wanted to stay as small as possible, under 28' if possible. That was hard to do with bunks. Because these bunks are on the end and narrower it helped. I think yours are front to back. We just think the use of the Murphy bed is so smart and such a space saver. 3 adults can set on the sofa with no problem. You also have the dinette for sitting also. We got a couple of those foldable ottoman's for foot stools and with the sofa, and it makes it great for watching the TV. The dinette slide out makes all the difference, but it's nice to know you can have the slide in and still put the bed down, at least in ours and I assume you can in yours. The murphy bed does cut off you pass through storage in front. We just put our stuff in the back of the truck or in the bunks when we travel. We had six adults in it the other night with no problem. We thought serious about a getting one with a regular bed down all the time, but most of them were much longer and seemed more cramped. Like I said, we moved up from truck camper, so take that in consideration. We love ours so far.
podunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
Went to a local dealer today and they don't ever carry this model because it hasn't been popular.

I really like the floor plan, so wanted to see if any current owners could share feedback on this model.

Is it spacious or cramped? How comfortable and big is the murphy bed? Do you recommend it or am I better off going to something like the 28 DSBH?
I thought it was too popular and they couldn't keep them in stock!

Floor plan is great. We are outside unless it's nasty outside. When inside and out of the elements there seems to be enough room for 3 adults to NOT be on top of each other every single second. I guess it would depend on how friendly you are with your traveling team.

Bigger is ALMOST always better if you can tow it. HD pickups are getting to be seriously stupid money. If you budget allows, why not go with more room? IMHO, the ALMOST part applies when trying to get into and out of tight spots or smaller camp grounds. Size hurts you there.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill777x View Post
Now we have a 27bhs Jay Flight and its much roomier.

This is another one on our list. This one the dealer normally carries, but did not have any in stock to show us. Is the front bedroom pretty cramped?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
I thought it was too popular and they couldn't keep them in stock!

I was surprised too. Apparently in the Chicago area, this floorplan is not a huge seller.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #8

We looked at that unit too! On one of our first shopping trips out the dealer had it on hand and we kind of fell in love...then I really looked at it online and it is missing quite a bit of storage-no large pass through and no underbed storage adn there is no overhead storage over the dinette either. Those were two biggies with me...plus the tanks sizes. But we have a 2500 truck so we don't need to worry about being light weight. I occasionally look at it to see if maybe we can make it work but I always ultimately decide it won't.

If you google that model number and go to videos Haylett RV does a wonderful walkthrough video on the unit and points out just about everything.
Moon8211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

It's not huge by any means but there is enough room to get around the bed and get to the cabinets. The bed also has storage underneath with gas struts to hold it up for easy access.
bill777x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

We love our 24 MBH. We came from an A Frame so maybe that's why? Our TV is a 15 Ram 1500 and it pulls great. True there is no pass through front storage but I would say there is more vertical storage in those front compartments. We have 5 gallon buckets in each of those compartments with plenty of room to stack stuff on top and around the buckets. The slide storage compartment is long an perfect for brooms, sweeper, fishing poles, tire chocks etc. Inside storage is ample and haven't run out of room yet with 2 adults, 2 kids, and our lab/basset mix.

I would say there is a sense of extra space in the coach when the murphy bed is folded up and the couch is out. The couch sits far back in the room to provide this extra space. The couch can seat 3 adults comfortably. We feel like we could add extra seats or bar stools around the counter top if needed for inclement weather while having friends over.

We love the huge awning and the outside fridge. Outside sink and stove is nice to have as well.

Only problems so far: Trim strip came loose on slide, trim strip came loose in bathroom. Both easy fixes. I striped the plastic plug trying to lube the antenna. Led is way too bright. Can be fixed with dimmer remote or polyimide tape.

Best of luck in your decision.
akadoggy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #11

When we started looking in December we toured at least 10 different rigs. The wife & I loved the 24MBH but we needed to sell our old motorhome first. We got it sold in April and when we called the dealer, the one they had was sold and the 2 in transport were also spoken for but they had one scheduled for build in June!?! After calling 4 different dealerships I almost gave up, but kept hearing that they don't stay in stock since they are so popular. But I did finally find one and ended up doing the deal via the internet and within the week we had it home.

We have used a few weekends and did one 10 day long trip and couldn't be happier with it. We travel with 2 kids (one tween & one teen) and 2 dogs. There are a couple things I wish it had, like a pass through for fishing rods, windows that open farther and a roof vent in the main living area with a fantastic fan.
themickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoggy13 View Post
We love our 24 MBH. We came from an A Frame so maybe that's why? Our TV is a 15 Ram 1500 and it pulls great. True there is no pass through front storage but I would say there is more vertical storage in those front compartments. We have 5 gallon buckets in each of those compartments with plenty of room to stack stuff on top and around the buckets. The slide storage compartment is long an perfect for brooms, sweeper, fishing poles, tire chocks etc. Inside storage is ample and haven't run out of room yet with 2 adults, 2 kids, and our lab/basset mix.

I would say there is a sense of extra space in the coach when the murphy bed is folded up and the couch is out. The couch sits far back in the room to provide this extra space. The couch can seat 3 adults comfortably. We feel like we could add extra seats or bar stools around the counter top if needed for inclement weather while having friends over.

We love the huge awning and the outside fridge. Outside sink and stove is nice to have as well.

Only problems so far: Trim strip came loose on slide, trim strip came loose in bathroom. Both easy fixes. I striped the plastic plug trying to lube the antenna. Led is way too bright. Can be fixed with dimmer remote or polyimide tape.

Best of luck in your decision.
Looking to order one soon but local dealer doesn't have one. Is there storage under the bottom bunk, and if so how do you access it? I can't find a picture online showing access at all.

Thanks!
vanspragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanspragg View Post
Looking to order one soon but local dealer doesn't have one. Is there storage under the bottom bunk, and if so how do you access it? I can't find a picture online showing access at all.

Thanks!
Yes there is storage under the bunk . You lift the matress and plywood base from the inside. I'm debating on removing the trim panel under the bunk and building shelves in the area.
tjcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanspragg View Post
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum and happy trailer shopping.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #15

Thanks for the info. I've seen the Rockwood 2509s has a pretty slick setup on theirs. It is one of the few things I prefer on their design. I'm certainly leaning more towards Jayco as we've had our 1207 for 10 years without any problems. Let me know what you come up with as I have a feeling that I will be making to modifications to that lower bunk storage. As a pop-up camper, I'm looking to get out of the business of lifting benches/beds to get to storage!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #16

Anyone have the Sanicon system or Auto level package on a 2017? I'm curious to see pictures of the Sanicon system factory installed on the 24MBH as well peoples review of the factory installed auto leveling system. I'm afraid I'm going to have order these options without even seeing what they look like. I can't seem to find one anywhere to look at with these option.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #17

Whitehawk 24 MBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
Yes there is storage under the bunk . You lift the matress and plywood base from the inside. I'm debating on removing the trim panel under the bunk and building shelves in the area.

I have been thinking about buying one of those telescoping ladders and storing it under there (if it will fit). One of those once in a while needed items. Unfortunately our trailer did not have a ladder when we purchased it. I am not a light person so I knew I wanted something aftermarket anyways.
akadoggy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj View Post
I found that under bunk storage area by accident!

Here is what I did with my under couch area:

Before:
After:

I put neodymium magnets on the front panel and it sticks to the black frame pieces you see above. It stays put on the road just fine. I use one clear bin and a couple of foot lockers under there to store stuff.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

We considered this unit but the bed was too uncomfortable and I'm getting old... so we ended up with the one in my sig.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #20

Just took our 24MBH out for its first trip. I picked it up from the dealer at 11am and we headed out for to the campground at 3pm. We had 5 people in the trailer since one of our girls brought her friend.

My thoughts so far:

Storage: Outside is pretty good. I put the "setup" stuff in one compartment. Tools go in the other side. Chairs and canopy go in the long one in the slide. Storage inside is spread out all over the place but sufficient. It needs more "big" storage spots in the kitchen, IMO (like for coffee makers or other small appliances).

Layout: The murphy bed setup is great. We camped with some friends and for one dinner we had 10 people eating in the trailer. Six kids sat at the dinette and four adults sat at the couch using the included folding table with two folding chairs. It didn't even feel crowded. When it was just the five of us, it felt very spacious. The couch is even nice to nap on when it's laid out flat. You don't even need to bring down the bed for a quick lie down.

Other thoughts: This trailer is high off the ground. The stabilizers are six inches higher than some other trailers we were looking at. I think that's a good thing as it makes it easier to go up steep driveways and will be nice when we take it boondocking off-road. Also, the included mattress is hard. It's going to need a bed topper or something. The build of the trailer is definitely more sturdy than our previous Jayco (a Jay Feather X213).

We had a good trip and enjoyed the trailer a lot.
Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote