Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Whitehawk 24FBS vs Jayflight 26RKS

Ready to buy a new Jayco. This will be our 4th TT, started with a 21' Wildwood, then migrated to first a 26' Nash, then a 27' Nash Bunkhouse.

Wife really likes the 26RKS. I admit, awesome trailer, love the floorplan. I'm just a little tired of towing big trailers at the top of my capacity (2014 F150 Ecoboost 4x4; 3:55, had a 2011 EB before that).

We spend most of our time somewhere besides camp grounds....normally high desert or coastal timber, and normally it's heat of summer or cold late fall hunting. The Jayflight certainly fits the bill, with the Elite package; big tanks, enclosed and heated underbelly, etc., etc.

It doesn't appear the Whitehawk is quite as appropriate for what we do; but it's still a well-built Jayco. There's a reason it's a lot lighter, it's built that way.

Given my circumstances, what would y'all do? It's probably not going to matter, as my wife of course has the final decision, but more information is always better.
Khensley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Personal preference

If weight is your concern, a quick view of specs on Jayco's website doesn't show much difference between the two models. I did not see a Whitehawk 24 fbs, but I'm assuming you were referring to the other, similar rear kitchen model in the Whitehawk line.

In either case, your truck should be able to handle either one of those easily, assuming you have all the requisite towing features, and a good hitch.

My wife and I compared Jay Flight and White hawk this summer, and chose the Whitehawk, due to the slightly lower weight and the appearance of a little more forward thinking technology. We added the glacier package and it seems to be well insulated, judging by the consistent temperature control and the lower outside noise heard through the coach.

If you are looking at the new, 2016 White Hawk, we also thought the styling on those was very nicely updated, which we hope will be beneficial at resale time.

We had a Keystone product before, and I believe the Whitehawk is better constructed. Time will tell, however.

But, as you infer, if you choose the one that makes the wife happy, everybody's happy :-).
Fastalker64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. Having owned trailers from both lines, the Jay Flights are a little more heavy duty. The White Hawks more upscale.

The 2016 White Hawks appear to have added some weight, in some cases #600 extra.

Jay Flight have bigger tanks and larger wheels, so may be more suited to your requirements.

You can also get a 8 cu ft fridge with the Jay Flight and larger propane tanks.

As a 70+ years old couple we are really happy with our floorplan and plan on keeping our current trailer for the rest of our RV lives.

Good luck with your search, take your time and go see them in person.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Sorry, it was a 24RBS, fat fingered the one letter!! The delivered weight difference was 1400 lbs.

Jayflight 26RKS 6200lbs
Whitehawk 24RBS 4800lbs.

Both aRe 2015 models.

The wife actually liked the huge counter space on the Whitehawk, and the amount of storage.

She preferred the wide open area of the big slide, and the center bath on the Jayflight.

In the end, we went with the Whitehawk. IT was a compromise both ways.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Congrats on your purchase. I was hoping you chose the 26RKS as I can't seem to find others on the forum with one of the newer ones, only the old models with the bunk beds.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

Congrats on your new Whitehawk!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #7

Plan on pick up Friday afternoon, stop at the house to lightly load, then a 60 mile tow to the coast for a shakedown weekend. Ok, and maybe some salmon fishing also!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khensley View Post
Plan on pick up Friday afternoon, stop at the house to lightly load, then a 60 mile tow to the coast for a shakedown weekend. Ok, and maybe some salmon fishing also!
Sounds awesome!

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:17 AM   #9

Welcome to the Jayco family and more specifically to the White Hawk family. We purchased a 2016 White Hawk 27DSRL about a month ago and have enjoyed our 1st two trips with it greatly. We went back and forth on some of the same considerations as you between the Jayco series of TT's. All of the above comments and advice seem spot-on from my limited experience as well.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkDr View Post
Welcome to the Jayco family and more specifically to the White Hawk family. We purchased a 2016 White Hawk 27DSRL about a month ago and have enjoyed our 1st two trips with it greatly. We went back and forth on some of the same considerations as you between the Jayco series of TT's. All of the above comments and advice seem spot-on from my limited experience as well.
Do you have any regrets? We signed the purchase contract last night, but not the rest of the paperwork yet. I told my wife if she wants to reconsider we can probably still change our mind this morning.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:48 AM   #11

My only regrets are of my own making. The White Hawk was and still is the right TT for us. However, we were so excited to make the purchase that we failed to fully accessorize properly prior to negotiation. A lot of these goodies can be had for significantly less money when negotiated into the deal. I lumped in the Reese Dual Cam WDH and max air vent but didn't have enough foresight to consider adding things like a roof ladder, folding stove cover, extra tv mount for bedroom (mine came with one on the exterior), and aluminum reefer panels (god, the black sticks out like a sore thumb). 30lb LP tanks are a must too, but they were already optioned onto my unit. My worst regret is buying into online propaganda & wasting my money on slide-out stabilizers.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:05 AM   #12

Good info!

The manager suggested I buy 30lb tanks from Home Depot or Walmart, much cheaper. I looked online and that made sense to me! I'll need to get a new tank cover though, but not a big deal.

COMPLETELY forgot about the vent covers, darnit!! Need to discuss that one.

Comes with a roof ladder and stove cover, so good to go there.

thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #13

Hi guys,
We just bought a 27DSRL from a dealer out of Michigan and saved a bundle. We started as well with a pop-up, then to a 199 sport and our final now the DSRL. Our first and only shake down was 1300 miles with extreme bad weather. We stopped in Ogala Nebraska and had a tornado watch with just under golf sized hail. 45 minutes of getting pummeled I thought for sure we would have to contact our insurance for damages. Both my Tundra and the TT came through with no damages. Says a lot for hard sided TT over the corrugated siding.
Jhnbggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #14

No regrets here. Aftermarket purchases include a taller bathroom faucet, showerhead, X-chocks for the wheels, BAL stabilzer arms, larger medicine cabinet, Samsung smart TV and a few storage totes that fit inside the outside storage compartments for organization and cleanliness.

Went fom Seattle to Ohio last June with just one hiccup that fixed itself.

Murff

Old 09-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #15

I was asked to post pics of the replacement medicine cabinet.

We walked through a number of different units in the selling dealer's inventory until we found a close match. Sorry, we not remember which model. The dealer ordered and installed it for us.

Murff

Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #16

My wife and I are in the process of deciding between the 2015 White Hawk 24RKS and the Jay Flight 26RKS. We're leaning towards the Jay Flight because the larger slide and kitchen drawers. The only thing we're questioning is the weight on the Jay Flight. I tow with a 2010 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L with tow package. Max tow rating is 8800 lbs. I see several folks here with Tundras. I think my Sequoia is comparable. I'm right about that?
happyretiree2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #17

Well, we have spent 8 nights in our Whitehawk 24FBS, and towed it 889 miles according to the app in my F150.

I talked my wife out of the Jayflight 26RKS. I was tired of towing big heavy stuff.

Lots of things we both liked better about the Jayflight. She liked the center bath, and the ability to use it without walking by anyone sleeping on the couch or dinette. I liked how high it sets off the ground, the bigger slide, more room, etc. The Whitehawk doesn't have many plug ins or small lights as the Jayflight, which is a bit frustrating.

We had 4 of us hunting out of it for 3 days, then just two of us for 4 more days.

Then I towed it the 380 mile trip home today myself. Towed like a dream, again. Did I mention that the official weight of the Whitehawk was 4800 lbs, and the Jayflight was 6200 lbs?

For us, we normally tow a pretty good distance. I plan on keeping my F150 five more years. I'm going to forget all the reasons why I like the Jayflight better every time I hook up the Whitehawk and race down the road with it.