Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

WhiteHawk Stabilization

Hello!

We recently bought a WhiteHawk 32BHS and have camped in it couple of times. All is well except the rocking! It came with electric stabilizers - which I follow the manual "Hold until the feet hit the ground, then release 1 to 2 seconds after". Along with that, I have normal wheel chocks... Still rocks - the trailer simply doesn't feel SOLID like it should. Any suggestions on what I need or what I'm missing?

Here's a basic setup. This picture was taken before I laid the wheel chocks down that day.

margareedaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #2

RV units get the tires airborne. Travel trailers don’t, so this is normal.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #3

Hello to you. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the WhiteHawk.

This is your first travel trailer, right? You say it doesn't feel 'SOLID' like it should, but in reality most RVs are not solid so your expectations are somewhat too high. There are additional steps you can take, but. IMO, to be realistic, you will always feel movement when others move around.

In the photo, it appears your rear stabilizers are in the grassy area. The sod and grass will compress so you may need to adjust them a bit every day.

You don't have any 'X type' chocks between the front and rear tires. Camco sells inexpensive 'X chocks' and there are others. This type of chock reduces front to rear movement. If you go this route, you have the wide-spread axles so you'll need the chocks that accommodate that.

Another thing would be a spacer of some kind under the trailer steps. This reduces the trailer movement when someone steps on the stairs.

Another is some type of jack to under the frame near the tires. This reduces the trailer movement from the springs and tires.

Well, that's a start!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #4

You could look into JD Strongarms on the front and rear. They won't take all the bounce out but will help significantly.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #5

As mentioned you will never get the bounce out of the trailer b./c of the equa-flex suspension, that said, using XL X Chocks made for the White Hacks by BAL help but to get most of the giggle out...you will need to invest in stablizers.

I had JT's on the last 3 campers...they do work, but on our new TT I put the Steadyfast system on. It using only 3 points of contact to drastically reduce sway side to side and front to back. Take a look, here . SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Trailer Stabilizer

Paul has great customer service. Since you have a new camper, you will also need to tell Paul that you need the extra C-Channel mounting brackets. The kit only comes with 1 now but he will send you the extra 2 for free.

Best to give him a call. He always answers his phone!

Cheers

RR
rollingrockTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Some bounce when walking around is normal. It will never feel 100% solid.
Put your stabilizer jacks on wood, and readjust on the second day if you are on soft things like grass.

X-chocks help a little. Airing your tires up to max sidewall pressure helps a little.

Steps that touch the ground (like morryde type) help a little.

If you are obsessive and staying in one place a long time, you could even use a bottle jack under the frame near the axles, which takes the suspension deflection out of it.

In the end, it's a question of how much work you want to do, and how much it bothers you.

I own the X-chocks but I stopped using them, because I'm lazy and the little bit of bounce didn't bother me.

I use the four corner stabilizers and I have the morryde steps. That's good enough for me most days.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #7

Hey y'all thank you so much for spending your time to respond with advice, and thank you for welcoming me! Is this my first trailer? No. However it is my first Jayco, and my first trailer that bounces and rocks when we walk around in it. Other trailers were shorter, and were rock solid once stabilized. I just don't get it.

I think at the end of the day I'll either have to get over it, or buy some heavy duty stabilizers to take the weight off the tires.

Otherwise, we love this bird - and find it a perfect fit for our family!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by margareedaville View Post
snip...
Is this my first trailer? No. However it is my first Jayco, and my first trailer that bounces and rocks when we walk around in it. Other trailers were shorter, and were rock solid once stabilized. I just don't get it.

I think at the end of the day I'll either have to get over it, or buy some heavy duty stabilizers to take the weight off the tires.

Otherwise, we love this bird - and find it a perfect fit for our family!
Happy to hear they trailer is perfect for your family, except for the 'rock & roll' motion.

Your other trailers were shorter, but in what other ways were they different than your current trailer? It seems weird to me that there could be such a difference between trailers! It's not 'rocket science': All manufacturers use virtually the same stabilization methods. What is everyone not seeing that makes this one different?

One thought: Did your previous trailer use similar electric stabilizers or standard manual, scissors jacks?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #9

We also found that the White hawk is very bouncy. We made the stabilizers with the 2x4 and ratchet straps, No more bounce! sorry I don't have a picture, but did get the idea from this form.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

Like others have said X-Chokes or similar will help. I commonly add a bit more pressure to my stabilizers the next morning. You can also add another set of stabilizers in front of the wheels this will help too. Like others have said, you will never get all of the bounce out of it.

We had an old Nomad that did not come with stabilizers. We used the square screw jacks. We found if we pulled them in from the corners by 5 feet or so, the TT was much more stable. I have considered do this with our current TT.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wing View Post
We also found that the White hawk is very bouncy. We made the stabilizers with the 2x4 and ratchet straps, No more bounce! sorry I don't have a picture, but did get the idea from this form.
I'd love to see what you're talking about!
Old 09-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by margareedaville View Post
I'd love to see what you're talking about!
Google Valterra V46-20106 and you'll see the design. Folks on this site have made it a DIY project with similar designs.