Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Whitehawk vs Jayflight

We currently own a Jayflight 24FBS and would like to move up to a larger unit. Because our tow vehicle is a F150, we know we have limitations how much larger we can go.

We've been considering the Whitehawk 27DSRL and note that there is also a Jayflight that is the identical floor plan. The kicker is the Jayflight is heavier and I worry it will put our payload and towing to the max. But we've been really pleased with our Jayflight and finishings seem nicer in Jayflight vs Whitehawk.

I find it confusing to figure out the differences between the two models, other than weight and would appreciate any thoughts on them and info on the differences.

Thanks!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Check out these threads on this topic:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...awk-23177.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-16356.html

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-19130.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

Thanks! Just did! Tough choice
Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

There are positives and negatives on both sides. If you do your research, you will find there is also a near identical floor plan in the Keystone lineup and Springdale lineup.

With that said, list out the positives and negatives and see which one suits you best. At least that is my opinion.
The finishings are cosmetic. I don't mean to down play them but there is only so much you can do for finishings in a TT. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it all. The stove, refrigerator, toilet, sinks are all made by the same company no matter which brand of TT you buy.
Again, my opinion, the Jay Flight is nice but you can get the same thing in a lighter weight package with the Whitehawk. To me that translates to less wear and tear on my TV and slightly better gas mileage for my TT (even though it may be miniscule and hardly noticeable, it would still be there).
One of the factors I did not even notice when purchasing our Whitehawk, but I noticed it immediately when we brought it home was the wide stance of the axles. My WDH has the sway bar control, my previous experience taught me; on the open road the sway bar is a nice thing to have. When we picked up our TT, the dealer pointed out the wide stance and recommended we tow it home without the sway bar in place and see if we notice the difference. Yes we did. It was a much more comfortable tow, even without the sway bar in place than my previous TT had been with the sway bar.
It will be a tough choice. Both seem to be nice rigs, and both are built by Jayco.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

Just to make the point, look online at the floorplan for the Keystone Outback Terrain 273TRL.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #6

When shopping - we both had requirements; DH focused on TV compatibility (weight, tow-ability), DW focused on amenities (storage, look-and-feel), and we both had to agree to the floor plan (key selling points were the outside kitchen, bunks for storage or the occasional guest, and dual-side entry to the bed). Of course, like everyone else, outfit it with things to make it an even better fit for you; we did a queen topper to convert the queen-short mattress, Magna nested cookware to maximize storage, 12-volt TV, lav faucet, etc.. Even now when we look at brochures (Jayco and others) or check-out campsite neighbors, the TT we keep returning to is exactly what we purchased!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #7

In addition to the lighter weight, walk-around bed, and outdoor kitchen, I liked the vacuum-bonded walls on the White Hawk. Having studied building science, I know the total R-value of the vacuum-bonded wall is much greater than the typical wood stud & batt insulation wall. But that was just a bonus when we were making our decision.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

It is a tough decision. It would be great if you could sit in both units and compare them side by side and find what works best for you.

We had a Jay Flight 26RLS, we liked it but when we lived in it for a bit there were features I wish we had in it. But those issues seemed to be addressed in the 27RLS.

The Whitehawk is more expensive but you can now get the Jayflight with the smooth siding. You will need to check the weight with the fiberglass.

Here is what I liked about the 27RLS, you get a pantry in the kitchen, otherwise you will be using the cabinets above the chairs and over the sofa for food storage. You get a regular sized queen bed mattress not an queen short. I love having night stands on both sides of the bed. The bathroom has great storage, porcelain toilet. (Much easier to keep clean) I also liked you can get a receiver in the back for bikes or cargo. You get larger fresh water tank, grey and black tank.

Compare Floorplans | Jayco, Inc.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #9

I'd also suggest a visit to the CAT Scale with your current TT. From that you can calculate how much "stuff" you load in your current TT. With the dry weights of the new TT's you can estimate what to expect in terms of GVW and tongue weight. Your truck only weight will let you know if your weights are good, bad or marginal.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #10

Redhorse, that's a really good idea actually. When the snow is finally gone around here, I'm going to do exactly that. Thx!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #11

What made up my mind to get the Jayflight instead of a WhiteHawk was the small holding tank capacities. On my trailer the Jayflight model holds 40 gallons more water and the black/gray tanks are nearly twice the size. That tells me that either the frame or axles are more robust and can handle abuse better. I think the White Hawks have a next gen Norco frame which I am not the biggest fan of if you are ever going to leave the pavement.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

White hawk 24rks

We just bought a White Hawk 24RKS, there is just the two of us and our 2 small dogs. We looked at tons of trailers at least 60-70 different brands and floor plans and decided on this one for the fact it was a Jayco, weight, the floor plan fit our needs, fiberglass construction, and 2 year warranty. We are pulling it with a 2014 F-150 4X4 5.0, no problems.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 PM   #13

I looked closely at both in the 28 foot BH models, and chose the Jay Flight over the WH and it was the little things like the main bed room wardrobe doors... The window valences wouldn't let you open the doors all the way. And there were a few more things that led me to the JF.
Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #14

There seems to be several options out there for you like the Whitehawk, the Jay Flight, or some other brand. We owned a 2013 Whitehawk 28DSBH (similar in weight to the Whitehawk 27DSRL). It was a good trailer and we really liked it, but we felt we did not want the light weight trailer anymore. We first towed it with a 2012 GMC, tow package, 5.3 engine, 3.42 rear end pickup, which did a fine job of towing that trailer. Then I purchased a 2014 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow to tow the Whitehawk. Not long after that we purchased a 2015 Jay Flight 27RLS, Elite Option with Fiberglass sidewalls. We feel it is more heavy duty and more stable when set up for camping than the light weight trailer (28DSBH). I had purchased a new 2014 F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow to tow my travel trailer, knowing I would purchase a heavier tongue weight trailer. I chose the F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow over the F250 because I wanted the better fuel economy when not towing. I have owned a 2008 gas F250 and a 2009 and a 2011 F350 diesel truck and pulled heavy trailers and fifth wheels with them. They are great tow vehicles. It is interesting that when I towed with them I managed to get heavier trailers/fifth wheels which pushed the GVWR limits on those vehicles when carrying passengers and cargo in those trucks. In my opinion, the Jay Flight 27RLS is close to requiring the F250 because of the heavy tongue weight. My tongue weight fully loaded at over 8,000 lbs. is between 950 lbs. and 1040 lbs. (actual tongue weight according to tongue scale) on the 27RLS, before the weight distribution hitch is hooked up. When I hook up the weight distribution hitch the tongue weight is redistributed lowering the tongue weight by about 100 lbs. according to the CAT scale. My Ecoboost Max Tow will handle the 27RLS fully loaded with passengers and gear without exceeding its limits, but I would be pushing the limits without the Max Tow. I do not exceed my GVWR or CGVWR on the F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow even when fully loaded. The F250 would probably be better if I needed the extra capacity to haul more gear, but I am very pleased with the F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow. I haul everything I need and still stay within the limits of the F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow. I haul up and down paved mountain roads in Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Montana, and on smaller roads, and on Interstate Highways. My 2014 F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow has plenty of power (surprisingly plenty of power to haul the heavy trailer), great handling ability and ample stopping ability to tow the 27RLS. I use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and Michelin LTX M/S2 tires and the feel of the towing experience is good at highway speeds between 55 mph and 65 mph. My 27RLS tires are rated for 75 mph, but I do not tow over 65 mph. (normally tow around 62-63 mph). I am pleased with my tow vehicle, travel trailer, and towing experience with this set up. Perhaps this might be of some relevance in helping you with your decision. Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGperson View Post
In addition to the lighter weight, walk-around bed, and outdoor kitchen, I liked the vacuum-bonded walls on the White Hawk. Having studied building science, I know the total R-value of the vacuum-bonded wall is much greater than the typical wood stud & batt insulation wall. But that was just a bonus when we were making our decision.

Ken
If the batt insulation gets wet, it can sag; even if it doesn't, its usefulness is greatly reduced. Whether or not your trailer will be vulnerable to termites is another consideration with the wood-and-batt construction. (We are choosing White Hawk over Jay Flight even though the Jay Flight is a bit less expensive and has floor plans that work for us.)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #16

White Hawk Construction

Here's a detailed presentation of the 2013 White Hawk construction. I have to believe the basic construction is the same for the 2015 models.

http://www.colerainrv.com/console/fi...ite%20Hawk.pdf

To be honest we didn't do much research before we purchased our White Hawk but I've been very impressed with the construction process post-purchase.

I will say though that I wish we had larger water tanks.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #17

My mom is picking up her 27 DSRL Whitehawk at the end of the month. She tows with a Toyota Tundra. the 27 DSRL doesn't weigh much more than the 24 FBS. A trip to the scale will help you out.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote