Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

Whitehawk vs Jayflight

We currently own a Jayflight 24FBS and would like to move up to a larger unit. Because our tow vehicle is a F150, we know we have limitations how much larger we can go.

We've been considering the Whitehawk 27DSRL and note that there is also a Jayflight that is the identical floor plan. The kicker is the Jayflight is heavier and I worry it will put our payload and towing to the max. But we've been really pleased with our Jayflight and finishings seem nicer in Jayflight vs Whitehawk.

I find it confusing to figure out the differences between the two models, other than weight and would appreciate any thoughts on them and info on the differences.

Thanks!

2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Check out these threads on this topic:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...awk-23177.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-16356.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...ght-19130.html

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks! Just did! Tough choice
Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

There are positives and negatives on both sides. If you do your research, you will find there is also a near identical floor plan in the Keystone lineup and Springdale lineup.

With that said, list out the positives and negatives and see which one suits you best. At least that is my opinion.
The finishings are cosmetic. I don't mean to down play them but there is only so much you can do for finishings in a TT. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it all. The stove, refrigerator, toilet, sinks are all made by the same company no matter which brand of TT you buy.
Again, my opinion, the Jay Flight is nice but you can get the same thing in a lighter weight package with the Whitehawk. To me that translates to less wear and tear on my TV and slightly better gas mileage for my TT (even though it may be miniscule and hardly noticeable, it would still be there).
One of the factors I did not even notice when purchasing our Whitehawk, but I noticed it immediately when we brought it home was the wide stance of the axles. My WDH has the sway bar control, my previous experience taught me; on the open road the sway bar is a nice thing to have. When we picked up our TT, the dealer pointed out the wide stance and recommended we tow it home without the sway bar in place and see if we notice the difference. Yes we did. It was a much more comfortable tow, even without the sway bar in place than my previous TT had been with the sway bar.
It will be a tough choice. Both seem to be nice rigs, and both are built by Jayco.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

Just to make the point, look online at the floorplan for the Keystone Outback Terrain 273TRL.
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

When shopping - we both had requirements; DH focused on TV compatibility (weight, tow-ability), DW focused on amenities (storage, look-and-feel), and we both had to agree to the floor plan (key selling points were the outside kitchen, bunks for storage or the occasional guest, and dual-side entry to the bed). Of course, like everyone else, outfit it with things to make it an even better fit for you; we did a queen topper to convert the queen-short mattress, Magna nested cookware to maximize storage, 12-volt TV, lav faucet, etc.. Even now when we look at brochures (Jayco and others) or check-out campsite neighbors, the TT we keep returning to is exactly what we purchased!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

In addition to the lighter weight, walk-around bed, and outdoor kitchen, I liked the vacuum-bonded walls on the White Hawk. Having studied building science, I know the total R-value of the vacuum-bonded wall is much greater than the typical wood stud & batt insulation wall. But that was just a bonus when we were making our decision.

Ken

2015 White Hawk 25BHS w/Outdoor Kitchen
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax
1985 Coleman Sequoia Tent Trailer
AKGperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

It is a tough decision. It would be great if you could sit in both units and compare them side by side and find what works best for you.

We had a Jay Flight 26RLS, we liked it but when we lived in it for a bit there were features I wish we had in it. But those issues seemed to be addressed in the 27RLS.

The Whitehawk is more expensive but you can now get the Jayflight with the smooth siding. You will need to check the weight with the fiberglass.

Here is what I liked about the 27RLS, you get a pantry in the kitchen, otherwise you will be using the cabinets above the chairs and over the sofa for food storage. You get a regular sized queen bed mattress not an queen short. I love having night stands on both sides of the bed. The bathroom has great storage, porcelain toilet. (Much easier to keep clean) I also liked you can get a receiver in the back for bikes or cargo. You get larger fresh water tank, grey and black tank.

Compare Floorplans | Jayco, Inc.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

I'd also suggest a visit to the CAT Scale with your current TT. From that you can calculate how much "stuff" you load in your current TT. With the dry weights of the new TT's you can estimate what to expect in terms of GVW and tongue weight. Your truck only weight will let you know if your weights are good, bad or marginal.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Redhorse, that's a really good idea actually. When the snow is finally gone around here, I'm going to do exactly that. Thx!