Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Who checks the units before the customer takes possession

Any one knows who is responsible (in my case a travel trailer) to check a unit before a customer takes possession? Is it JAYCO;White Hawk or is it the receiving dealer?

I purchased a 2018 unit on December 28, 2017, only to find that the slide is not working as it should. I brought the unit back about 2 weeks ago to have it fixed and add some options. The options are added but the slide is still not working.

I found out that the "Dealer" spent a week or more on the slide, assuming it was a Lippert slide... only that they found out, 2 days ago, it was a BAL slide.

I sent a message to JAYCO customer service/parts, provided the VIN, and asked to verify what slide I had on the unit. JAYCO customer service told me to contact the Dealer... Seems like this is turning into a circus.

So as it stands I am still waiting for my Dealer to fix the slide and JAYCO customer service provided no answer.

I am now wondering if it was such a great idea to downsize from my Motorhome (which I never had any problems with) to a JAYCO travel trailer. It seems to me that the MFG (JAYCO/White Hawk) should have verified that the travel trailer and all components worked before it was sent to the Dealer.
Sandy5288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #2

I think it's a bit of both. Ultimately it's up to the dealer and YOU to do a pre delivery inspection. I'm sure Jayco tests the slide at manufacturing but anything can happen from there. Perhaps during the delivery to the dealer, something got jostled on the road messing up the slide. Some units get to the dealer in pretty rough shape. The dealer should clean and inspect the rig prior to you even seeing it IMO, but that's not always the case. Some dealers are better than others. This is why I've always said that the dealer you choose is as important as the rig you choose.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #3

The real world answer is, it's the customer that should check the unit before taking possession.

Jayco doesn't do a good job at the factory, and the dealers generally don't do it properly, either.

My dealer did all they could to hustle me through the delivery process. They apparently prefer not to find any defects prior to my taking possession. I can speculate on why that is, but bottom line is, they prefer to have the customer find the defects after the trailer is in their driveway.

As to speculating on why, the short answer is probably an attitude of "get it out the door, get it out the door". Some defects will be handled by customers who figure it's easier to take care of the minor stuff themselves. Some defects might go unnoticed until the warranty expires. During the warranty period, the dealer is compensated by the factory for fixing defects, but I don't know if they receive the same compensation for defects repaired prior to the sale. I know I can't trust my dealer, so why should Jayco trust them not to make false claims on repair of defects prior to the sale?

Another reason could be, the dealer would have to pay one of their people to meticulously inspect each unit looking for potential leaks, faulty plumbing, faulty electrical, properly functions HVAC, radio, television, refrigerator, door hinges, mis-aligned axles, loose lug nuts, and so on. Doesn't it make a lot of sense to simply skip that process, because after all, the customer will do it for free.

Until Jayco and my dealer 'fess up and tell me why they ultimately deliver obviously defective units, I'm left to speculate. All I know with certainty is, it's up to the customer to provide a proper final inspection.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I think it's a bit of both. Ultimately it's up to the dealer and YOU to do a pre delivery inspection.
X-2. Dealer is supposed to do a PDI walk thru with the customer(in many cases an hour or so). They should open and close all the slides at that time as well as operate the leveling system if included.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
I think it's a bit of both. Ultimately it's up to the dealer and YOU to do a pre delivery inspection.
Ditto, and with that being said, if you're new to trailers it's easy to get confused during the pre-delivery inspection. With my first non- pop up camper, the check-out guy was suffering from an obvious hangover and was more interested in showing me how the radio worked. I had no real idea what to look for. All this led to me taking it back to the dealership after a few weeks to have them fix the things they should have caught in the first place. When picking up my next camper I went armed with a complete inspection list (you can find these on the web).

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #6

A good dealer should include in your purchase, a Demonstration of the camper. They should have the camper set up as if you're going to use it, and detail all of the interior and exterior features. This should all be at no additional cost. If they attempt to charge you for this, RUN! Any hidden fees should have been pointed out in the Sales presentation. When the unit arrives on the lot the dealer should have their PDI staff check it out and make any repairs. No one is perfect and sometimes a malfunction is found during the customer Demonstration. This is actually a good time to learn about the dealership and how they address problems. Hope this helps.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Each unit goes thru 4 checks...

1. Factory check - Not a detailed check, just a spec check to make sure that the unit meets factory or special order specifications.
2. Dealership post delivery check - A check to verify that nothing was damaged in transit from the factory, and that all parts and options are there.
3. Post sale check - The dealer verifies that there are no obvious defects, that the major systems are functional, and options/special orders are installed.
4. PDI - This is the big one - Expect to spend several hours on this... bring a flashlight, note pad, measuring tape, etc. Wear old clothes, because you'll be crawling under the unit, looking in hatches, under sinks, checking the roof, etc.

Insist that you see every system functioning, that includes heaters, appliances, air conditioners, slides, levelers, TV's, stereos, Blue-ray players, water systems, tank heaters, cameras, etc.

Always do your PDI early in the morning, so that issues (and there will be issues) can be addressed before you ever leave the dealership. Expect to see water system leaks! The delivery drivers are NOT gentle with the units!

Our dealer had all of the units systems running the night before our PDI was scheduled. They called us and postponed the PDI because they discovered an ammonia leak in the fridge. Jayco insisted that the fridge be replaced with a new unit (rather than repairing it), before we took delivery. Kudos to the dealership and Jayco!

Ultimately, making sure that the brand new unit is in good shape is the buyers responsibility. Perhaps not fair, but that's just the way it is. All manufacturers have the same issue with cutting corners and rushing the units out the door, but some give you better warranties to deal with those issues.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
A good dealer should include in your purchase, a Demonstration of the camper. They should have the camper set up as if you're going to use it, and detail all of the interior and exterior features. This should all be at no additional cost. If they attempt to charge you for this, RUN! Any hidden fees should have been pointed out in the Sales presentation. When the unit arrives on the lot the dealer should have their PDI staff check it out and make any repairs. No one is perfect and sometimes a malfunction is found during the customer Demonstration. This is actually a good time to learn about the dealership and how they address problems. Hope this helps.
We purchased a TT and then later traded it for a FW. Both times, our dealer took several weeks of prepping it before we showed up for our PDI. Each of our PDI's took around 3 hours. They explained how everything worked and then demonstrated it. Never felt rushed. We found one or two minor issues but they were taken care of at that time. Great local dealership.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #9

Sounds like you have a great dealer, not all are that thorough, trust me.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogman45 View Post
Any one knows who is responsible (in my case a travel trailer) to check a unit before a customer takes possession? Is it JAYCO;White Hawk or is it the receiving dealer?

I purchased a 2018 unit on December 28, 2017, only to find that the slide is not working as it should. I brought the unit back about 2 weeks ago to have it fixed and add some options. The options are added but the slide is still not working.

I found out that the "Dealer" spent a week or more on the slide, assuming it was a Lippert slide... only that they found out, 2 days ago, it was a BAL slide.

I sent a message to JAYCO customer service/parts, provided the VIN, and asked to verify what slide I had on the unit. JAYCO customer service told me to contact the Dealer... Seems like this is turning into a circus.

So as it stands I am still waiting for my Dealer to fix the slide and JAYCO customer service provided no answer.

I am now wondering if it was such a great idea to downsize from my Motorhome (which I never had any problems with) to a JAYCO travel trailer. It seems to me that the MFG (JAYCO/White Hawk) should have verified that the travel trailer and all components worked before it was sent to the Dealer.

The dealer should walk you through, but who is responsible? YOU are.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #11

I happened to stop at our local dealer to take a peek at a 2018 34' TT, it happened to have been sold but he let me walk thru it to check a few things out. When I got there, there were three techs inside and out, all access panels were off, sinks were full, gauges (electrical and plumbing pressure) were connected all over the place. I saw a pretty detailed checklist on the counter that appeared to be pretty extensive in checking all fittings, pipes, electrical , units (Heat, AC, fridge, stove, slides, etc...), I was very impressed with the attention given to every little detail before handing it over to the customer. I asked how much time this takes them and they said generally several hours.
Then the customer comes in for a full walk thru, they said to allow at least two hours.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #12

If you find problems at the PDI , the dealer has incentive to fix them pronto so you'll take delivery. If you find them at home you could lose the whole camping season at some dealerships.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.....I sent a message to JAYCO customer service/parts, provided the VIN, and asked to verify what slide I had on the unit. JAYCO customer service told me to contact the Dealer......snip
It's my understanding that Jayco has a production sheet listing all vendor components installed on any particular unit and a VIN is all that is needed to access this information.

IMO the "contact the dealer" response is common when a unit is still under warranty...., although there are a couple Jayco service representatives that will take the time and provide useful feedback.

Quote:
snip...... I found out that the "Dealer" spent a week or more on the slide, assuming it was a Lippert slide... only that they found out, 2 days ago, it was a BAL slide........snip
Strange dealer oversight. Every slide I've been under has an OEM sticker in plain sight attached (manufacture, model #, s/n, etc.) somewhere on the slide frame assembly.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Sorry for the frustration, I think we have all been there. The bottom line is that the factory, the dealer, etc., they are just people. Some do a good job, others don't. My dealer did a great walk-through though I also came with a complete check list which he really appreciated. His attitude was that if we complete your list you will be happy. If your unit is still under warranty I would use a PDI checklist now and do a complete inspection. In regard to your interaction with Jayco, call them instead. Every time I have talked to the Whitehawk support team they have either answer the question or returned the call within a day or so. All of the issues on a trailer are "mechanical" issues; find the problem and identify the solution. A lesson taught to me a long time ago, be friendly with the person and be firm with the problem.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #15

That is what they do good cop bad cop routine!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
The real world answer is, it's the customer that should check the unit before taking possession.
I think this is the most correct answer. Jayco should make sure they are perfect before they leave, but they don't. The dealer is the one that has the obligation to fix any mistakes before the owner takes it.

The owner suffers the consequences when the manufacturer and dealer don't fix it right. The owner is the last step in the quality control, making sure that everything is resolved BEFORE giving final payment and accepting delivery.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #17

Hopefully they can get you all squared away. Gotta be frustrating.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote