Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #1

who has had freezing pipes burst??

OK, I know the whole reason to winterize your TT is to keep from freezing/damaging the water/plumbing system. But I was just talking to my local RV dealer they are already de-winterizing several TTs now and mine has also been de-winterized due to the temps have bee steadly in the upper 60's daytime and 40-50's night time (we are heading out in a couple weeks for a trip). We had a cold snap last night where the temps reached 30-32 and was wondering roughly what temps have anyone heard of actual damage occuring. I know most of the exposed pipes etc are inside but what about the water heater/tanks etc?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #2

I understand that along with the temp, there is the longevity of the temp. Meaning it has to get below freezing and stay there for several days?
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

As long as the hot water tank is empty I would drain the water lines or blow them out you will not have to worry.
licamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #4

I would agree with the "sustained" temperature theory. 3-4 hrs in the 30-32 range with daytime highs in the 50's plus would not burst your plumbing. If however you could possibly get temps in the 20's with high winds and more than 6hrs duration make sure you have drained all the lines and tanks as a precaution.

If you are familiar with the process simply pull the low point drains and plug when going back to storage on the lines, tank and heater for the next month as a security.

You could also just turn on the heat and water heater for a night when freezing is a possiblilty as an alternative. That's assuming you have access to the unit and electric for the batteries to stay up.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

hot water tank was full, just drained/flushed with one of those wand thingies to remove scale/deposits and just left it empty until out trip also the lines inside are drained but no antifreeze in them.

So when you blow out the lines, you connect the air source up to the city water connection outside, bypass the hot water heater, pump/onboard water tank is bypassed and leave the faucets open or closed? sorry, never done this process just drained lines only
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Pretty much as you have it. Open every valve including outside shower, toilet and any other outlet you may have. Then open the low points and let air come out of them. Once you've done this you can leave the valves open if you like or close them all off, it's not going to make much of difference.

Also make sure you drain you tank.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

I always stick something in potty to keep valve open. I have succeeded in freezing and bursting two of them (potty water valve) over the years. Stick a stick in them to keep valve open.

Just got back from Tornado Disaster Relief trip last night. I drained everything today and left all valves open. Did not blow lines. Do not plan to winterize again unless we do have some low 20's headed our way probably will. Otherwise, just drain.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #8

You would have to see temps 32* for quite a long time before any damage would occur. The lines in the trailer are flexible for a reason.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #9

We live in a climate where we may get 29-32 degree overnight temps maybe two or three times in January and that lasts maybe 3-4 hours. In January and February we keep close watch on the over night forecasts, especially on the clear starlit nights (here the overcast/foggy nights are upper 40's-ish).

On those anticapted nights of 34 degrees or below, we put the heater on it's lowest setting. We have the heated enclosed underbelly. No probs in three January's so far. Odd though, this year it hasn't dipped down that low as of yet. When camping last month in a higher elevation, it did go down to 32, but no problems
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

If you blow out the lines just watch your air pressure. you don't want to blow out a line. I lower my pressure to about 30psi. I made a chuck to connect to the city water line.
Attached Thumbnails
iphone pics 011.jpg  
licamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

You can buy one of these gizmos at Walmart for just a few bucks... made by Camco.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote