Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman06 View Post
Not to say I don't have experience towing things I am a linemen with a CDL. I have been known to pull a 65' pole on pintle hitch. Loads up to 35000 lb been doing it for about 8 years now. So I think I can get by. Thanks for all the info all. I think I'm going to try a regular ball mount with friction sway controlled for now.
Don't see too many lineman on the boards :thumbup: Its hard to compare pulling a TT with a pickup to pulling a loaded pole trailer with a line truck... The aerodynamics (and your ability to balance you weights) are totally different.

I hooked up without the WDH once after getting the new truck just to see what it was like. Could the truck pull it... Yes... Is it a much more comfortable ride with the WDH and sway control... Even more so.

And one more thing to think about... At least in my state CDL drivers are held to a much higher standard by law enforcement and DMV officers then other drivers... Even when driving personal vehicles. (This is why i turned mine in when i left the field)
Should you have a problem that gains their attention you take the chance of losing your CDLs if they find that your weights are off.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #22

I agree with most of the previous replies. You definitely need a WDH for you 29' trailer. I'd go with the Equal-i-zer with built in sway.
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwest75 View Post
"The tow home was in a 30 plus MPH wind. The trip went ok but lots of sway."
mwest75 - Sway control arms also can help a great deal. Under 24' they say you can get away with just one side, I have sway control on both sides as well as the WD hitch. We live in Montana and on the open road, especially heading towards the Dakotas, the winds can really push you around. The sway control arms help immensely with keeping the tail from wagging the dog.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #24

I would like to tell you what I saw happen yesterday in Texas. There was a smaller TT entering the interstate when a pair of 18 wheelers went past. The TT did not have a WDH or sway bar. The TT jackknifed across 3 lanes of traffic and took out 2 other vehicles, plus the TV was hit by another car that was coming down the center lane. Add the cost of the TT, truck, insurance claims, and other related cost. The cost of a WDH and sway bar sure doesn't seem very expensive.

I have a jayco 32BHDS and the first thing the salesman said was to make sure that you get the TV and TT set up correctly. I went directly from the show room to the hitch place. Never had a problem.
LesBevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #25

I'm picking up my X213 in the spring. I'm opting for the BlueOx ProSway WD hitch right off the bat. I'm just not willing to take the chance of running into a disaster while I'm out trying to have fun with my family for the sake of a few hundred bucks. Just not worth it. If you're in this game, just plan to outfit yourself appropriately.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #26

I just bought a 2006 29bhs. I tow with a f250, it has air bags on rear leaf springs. When we hooked it up it sit level so didn't put on the wd arms but did use the anti sway bar. Should I try using the wd hitch and lower pressure in air bags or keep going like am
Polk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Polk,

I would confirm the weight ratings on your F-250's OEM receiver. There should be two rating modes stamped on the receiver: "Weight Carrying" (w/o using a WDH) and "Weight Distribution" (with WDH). Knowing one's "loaded" tongue weight is the only way to confirm which mode will apply.

Also, the main function of a WDH is to return the required weight to the TV's front suspension that was removed do to the effect of the TT's loaded tongue weight being placed on the hitch ball. Basically you want the weight on the TV's from suspension to be the same unhitched/hitched unless your TV's owners manual states otherwise.

IMO taking your TV/TT combination to a CAT scale and weighing it will confirm all your weights and WDH adjustments (and confirm if a WDH is required). When using air bags it's my understanding that prior to hitching/engaging/adjusting a WDH the air bag pressure should be set at factory minimum PSI, after hitching/engaging the WDH then additional air can be added to the air bags as needed.

CAT scale TV/TT 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3871

Yes, your correct that a sway control device should be utilized at all times.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote