Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 10:02 PM   #1

Who's Panels in Jayco Solar Power Package

Hi all!
We are awaiting delivery of our new Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 267BHSW, which we ordered with the factory Solar Power Package. This package includes a single 100 watt solar panel and a 30 Amp controller that can accommodate 3 more 100 W panels. I definitely want to expand to use the full capability of the controller.

Does anyone know what manufacturer Jayco uses for the panels in this package? I want to comparison shop before I ask the dealer what their price will be.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

---Mike
DebsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #2

You can use solar panels of a different manufacturer, you just need to match the voltage, if you want to run them in parallel. If I were you, I'd wait until you have the trailer, then look at the back of the panel, where the Vsc is listed in the spec sheet. Just get the cheapest panels you can find that have the same (or very close) Vsc.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #3

Manufacturer of panel shouldn't matter, just match voltage as mentioned. I'd also match monocrystalline vs polycrystalline. It most likely doesn't matter, but I'd still match anyway. Mono should be more efficient. Here's an article on it:
article here

Panels are roughly $0.80-$1.00 a watt, so a 100W panel will be $80-$100. Cheaper are fine. The higher cost is usually from marketing or name brands.

The Wynns did a good video on series vs parallel connection and how/why to use one or both.
how shade effects power

I'd end up with a mix of both if you go with 4 panels. Just need to make sure the charger Jayco uses supports 24V. The higher voltage will also be good to decrease power loss and better utilize the higher gauge (thinner wires) Jayco uses is the solar panel prep.

All the work should be on the roof of the unit. So 3 panels at max $300 (assuming 100W panels), a few connectors, maybe $20-30 and then labor. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours at most since we're just installing panels and everything else is already wired up and running from factory.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #4

I thought I would post this info for reference, in case anyone is looking for this information in the future.

I contacted Jayco directly, and asked them what solar panels and controllers they provide with their "Solar Power Package". Jayco's response stated the following:
"Our supplier for the Solar Power Package is Go Power."
Solar Panel: GP-PV-100P ( https://gpelectric.com/files/gpelect...GP-PV-100P.pdf )
Controller: GP-PWM-30-SQ ( https://gpelectric.com/products/gp-pwm-30-sq )

Enjoy!
DebsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:36 AM   #5

Yeah my jayfeather 24bh came with a 190 watt panel and 30 amp controller. All made by go power. It works really well
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:06 PM   #6

Using different panels and contoller

Can I use a cheeper brand panel and controller then Go power brand
davandyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 03:30 PM   #7

Who's Panels in Jayco Solar Power Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by davandyk View Post
Can I use a cheeper brand panel and controller then Go power brand

If you’re going to put them in series, try to find ones that match well in amps (Imp). If you’re going to put them in parallel, find ones that match in voltage (Vmp)

Here’s a good write-up on mixing panels:

https://www.explorist.life/using-mis...ar-panel-sizes

I found a Rich Solar 200W panel that’s a around half the cost of the GoPower 190W on our roof with the same voltage and just slightly more amps and an almost identical size.

https://richsolar.com/collections/so...tt-solar-panel

https://gpelectric.com/products/over...expansion-kit/

I figure I can add two of the Rich Solar panels for the cost of one GoPower and over panel my solar controller so I’ll almost always get close to the maximum output as long as I have a reasonable amount of sun.
Old 03-12-2022, 03:35 PM   #8

Solar panels

So I can use a cheeper panel and controller
Old 03-14-2022, 09:43 AM   #9

Use what your pocket book can handle. I use Grape Solar 100W panels. Very close in specs to the big name brands.
$94.56 through Home Depot.
Monocrystalline like Go Power.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #10

Who's panels

What controller did you use? Can I use aa go power controller with the panels from homedepot
Old 03-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davandyk View Post
What controller did you use? Can I use aa go power controller with the panels from homedepot
I use a Victron 100/30
Your GP controller is rated at 25V max. It's also a PWM which is okay for lower wattage solar arrays.

Here's a good article on panel configurations relating to controllers.

https://www.renogy.com/learn-series-and-parallel/
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar power package