Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2020, 09:24 AM   #1

Why are Soft Start AC not an option

Hi all.

Let me start with the simple and straight forward academic question. Then I may need some help.

"Why don't RV Manufacturers (Jayco) offer Soft Start as an option or as a standard?"
Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista View Post
"Why don't RV Manufacturers (Jayco) offer Soft Start as an option or as a standard?"
I've never seen a OEM a/c unit that offers Soft Start, it's always been an after market modification.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

I believe the new Furrion units have the soft start built in...
Old 05-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I've never seen a OEM a/c unit that offers Soft Start, it's always been an after market modification.
"Why?"

That's the question.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
"Why?"

That's the question.
Probably not enough demand. Never installed a Soft Start in any a/c over a 43 yr period of RV ownership. Never needed it, as probably is the case with most RV owners.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
Site Team

It would be an unnecessary expense for most rv’ers.

My buddy just bought a Alliance fifth wheel. It has 3 - 13.5 btu units. It must have a power management system or all hard start equipped.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Probably not enough demand. Never installed a Soft Start in any a/c over a 43 yr period of RV ownership. Never needed it, as probably is the case with most RV owners.
The "no demand" would be an obvious possibility.

I wonder what % of RV owners use a Gas generator?
Old 03-06-2021, 12:29 AM   #8

I've wondered this myself, especially since Airxcel makes a Coleman Mach with soft start now.
Bobmakow55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:33 AM   #9

Lots that dry camp, many have to either run two generators in parallel or get a larger one. But yes there are OEM RV air conditioners with soft start so a smaller generator can start it. And yes there are are many using generators.
Bobmakow55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #10

What I like about the SoftStart is that the AC doesn't make all that loud zoom noise on start up. It starts very quietly now and I run it with one Honda i2000 inverter generator. I would have paid for this addition when buying. It is even better now when plugged into shore power because it starts so quiet.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
What I like about the SoftStart is that the AC doesn't make all that loud zoom noise on start up. It starts very quietly now and I run it with one Honda i2000 inverter generator. I would have paid for this addition when buying. It is even better now when plugged into shore power because it starts so quiet.

This is very true. We have two AC’s. One with soft start and one without. The bedroom AC doesn’t have it, and when that compressor kicks in during the middle of the night it’ll wake me sometime. I need to order a second one and get that installed.
2022 Chevy 3000HD Dmax
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

I went to Coleman's web site. In a quick search, they show they do offer a Mach 10 NDQ that comes as a soft start. Is it in Jayco's lineup?

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...ftstart-series

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #13

It would and will save on wear and tear on the a/c unit, thus likely fewer problems.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 01:03 AM   #14

People don't know how much a soft start can help them. Most R/Vs that run off of a 30AMP service can get by fine with a 2200W quiet generator. Go over to POP UP PORTAL and look around. A lot of those guys run to small generators that interface for when they need A/C and one small generator in the winter to run heater fan keep the lights on. Especially while boon docking. which they probably do because of the size of the unit.
FishNFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:41 PM   #15

Quote:
..."Why don't RV Manufacturers (Jayco) offer Soft Start as an option or as a standard?"
How many potential buyers ask "Does the AC have soft-start?" Probably close to zero.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
How many potential buyers ask "Does the AC have soft-start?" Probably close to zero.
You are correct. Most people don't know about the SoftStart so they wouldn't know to ask. If a good salesman, or should I say salesperson, were to demonstrate how good they work vs not having one I think they would make the sale.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
Doesn't matter if they ask, since they are not a factory option (generally).

You think that's a good reason to not offer a product people might not know about, but would pay a premium for if they were educated?

Could be I suppose.

For what it is worth, when I bought my first trailer I did not know what a soft start was. However, after being educated, if I had the option to have one factory installed for $250 I would have done it in a heart beat.

These items improve the performance of AC units in TT environments. I stand by y position that its surprising MFGs aren't jumping on the chance to sell them to us.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:51 PM   #18

Mfg's know less than we do. If I were a MFG I would be investing money in building new camp grounds. They are riding a huge sales wave right now but, when the new John Q public realizes they can't use their new $20,000.00 plus toy they will dump them and the market will be worse than before covid. If people could boon dock easier and relieve the reservation stress Hide and watch! The x's sisters X husband built 3 golf R/v resorts on the east coast last year. He rides in a 1.2 million dollar coach. I did not ask mf nephew how much a night. I am sure it is one of those deals that if you have to ask you can't afford it anyway.
FishNFarm is offline   Reply With Quote