Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Why Jayco?

Hello there, been looking at many types of travel trailers recently. From Dutchmen to Starcraft to Forest River. Always seem to come back to Jayco. How did all of you out there decide Jayco was the T.T. for you? Still looking seriously at the 23RB. Opinions appreciated,Rick
rickfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #2

Well,when i was way younger my neighbor had a Jayco,i thought is was just the coolest thing,he had told me way back about the quality,and how they put a real wood floor in,they went camping all the time,Never asked me ???? ii guess if i went who would mow there yard ,any way many years later,my wife and i bought this Jay flight g2 I can see the quality, is still good,we love this thing.....P.S i had a forest river for a very short time,i will leave it at that ..... MY WIFE SAID TO ADD that the fit and finish ,and the bathroom size if very good ( we take our grand kids camping) and with the door that goes to the Bath room from the out side,keep a lot of dirt out ...
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

We've always had a great product, and good customer service from JAYCO/STARCRAFT. Have they been perfect, no, but the issues have been minor and resolved with no questions ask. A good dealer also makes a "BIG" difference.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

I thought I wanted Jayco because of the reputation for building better trailers. Then I started going to RV shows and actually looking at trailers. I quickly realized that in this price point, Jayco seems to make the most sturdy trailer with the most sensible floorplans and options. Dollar for dollar it feels as though the Jayco product is more sturdy and built better.

The steps feel more solid, the floor doesn't flex or creak, the cabinets are well made, the bunks use plywood, not particle board, they offer LED lighting standard in 2015 models, they have bigger fresh water tank with Elite option, the roof system is stronger, the headroom is higher, etc etc.

It just felt like a better product for the same money.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #5

After sitting in a Forest River "Surveyor" for about 30 minutes (that I thought was going to be the perfect trailer), I began to notice little interior fit & finish details that were not quite "up to par" - including ripples in the interior walls. I went outside and noticed the exterior fiberglass skin was rippled as well.

After that, I did a Google search for "Forest River Travel Trailer Problems". Boy, did I find a bunch! And, according to the posters, most of them went unresolved until the trailer was past the warranty. Then the poster would get a letter from Forest River saying that "the trailer was no longer under warranty, so they would not pay for the repairs.

I did the same Google search for every major TT brand, and found similar results . . . until I got to Jayco. (BTW, that's how I discovered this Forum.) The Jayco posters reported that Jayco and their dealers took care of their problems in a timely manner @ no charge to the customer. In fact, many of the RVs were well out of warranty, and Jayco took care of the customer anyway. That (and the 2-year warranty) sold me on the Jayco brand. After that, it was just a matter of which one to choose.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

When we bought ours we compared Forest River, Keystone & Jayco. All had nearly the identical floor plan. We kept coming back to the Jayco and decided they made the best. The 2 year warranty made a difference to us as well. We LOVE our Jayco. Had few issues, most in the beginning were operator error. These days it is primarily maintenance and understanding you can't have large temp changes without a floor issue. The winter we had last year cracked our linoleum and that of 9 other trailers in the area according to our installer. Brand didn't matter on that one. Good luck with your choice, I know you'll love Jayco.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Well for me it was simple. The floor plan was perfect for us and the two year warranty is great.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #8

We love our current Jayco and the previous one was a good starter trailer for us. They have reasonably good quality. Most of the stuff in them, fridge, microwave, water heater, A/C, furnace and so on are the same found in most mid priced trailers and 5th wheels.

We have a good local dealer, who is a very small business compared with CW and the like. Very responsive to any problem we may have, and there have been very few.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #9

Looked for over 2 years for the floorplan we wanted, while we waited to buy a larger TV. Our Jayco cost less, has a 2 year warranty and had everything we wanted.
Other brands just did not have everything we wanted.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

We currently own a 2005 StarCraft Antigua, and it's riddled with soft floor issues. I understand that it's a common problem with that model due to the floor construction material. Lately it's been one little problem after another, and we've spent a lot of time at the dealer being nickel and dimed to death with repairs on this trailer, most of them being electrical (I suspect there may have been a power surge that could have started the cascade). One of the salesmen, probably sensing the fact that we were getting fed up, took us over to show us a new 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS. Holy cow, we were blown away by the room and the floor plan. I already knew from other forums that Jayco had a good reputation for quality. I looked into the construction and liked what I saw, and when comparing amenities and trim that is standard compared to other companies, it was the best deal. We ordered a new unit and expect it to arrive sometime in November. we're hoping it turns out to be a good trailer for many years to come.
mspontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

I had a Forest River and thought it was nice. I went to upgrade and started looking at the finer details and realized the Jaycos were much better so I bought one. Then eventually sold it and bought a Keystone. It was junk too. So now I'm back in a Jayco. Just look at the fine detail, trim, warranty, fiberglass walls, etc. You will see the Jaycos are much nicer.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #12

We shopped around for something our vehicle at the time could tow, bunk beds for the kids and air conditioning. Pretty basic. Small, light units like R-pods were way out of our price range and after looking at all the local dealers we found the Jayco and loved the floorplan and it ended up being the cheapest sticker price.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #13

2 year warranty. Same reason I bought a Hyundai for my daily driver..10yr/100,000 mile powertrain. Got tired of messing around. So far the Jayco seems well built, and I have 2yrs. to work out the kinks.

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

We looked to upgrade for two years and looked at hundreds of RVs. We just loved the floor plan of the Eagle 338 rlts. Everything else was a compromise.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #15

For me, and I bought used was the quality of the Jayco products and I looked for about 2 years till I found just the right Hybrid. It was 3 years old and it looked like it had never been used. I have been so happy with This TT that I hope I never have to trade it in.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #16

We purchased a 2015 33RLDS this summer. Some issues with construction. Repairs made in timely manner. Excellent service from the dealer & factory. This is the second Jayco we have bought. Looked at many campers, Jayco was the best.
michigancampermcsmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #17

IMO Jayco has the best features overall. Construction, floor plans, and convenience items. I believe Jayco takes their customer feedback and comments to a higher level than the other manufacturers - they build what we want. Warranty, customer service, and response are also a high priority for them.

While Jayco is sincere in wanting to provide a quality product and service, a good dealer is an important part of the whole experience. The dealer I purchase from, Colerain RV, really listens to me, and Jayco has their respect. No problems have gone unresolved.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #18

We didn't have a very big budget when we were finally offered a seasonal campsite in our dream campground, so in searching for a used rig in our price range, the majority of those still in good shape were Jayco's. Is our 1999 Eagle perfect? Far from it, but for the money it is a big, bright functional home away from home. I expect we will have maintenance to deal with from time to time, but that's OK with us. (Until we win the lottery and buy a Pinnacle, lol). And Jayco was able to send me the wiring schematic on a 15 year old camper, within 24 hours!
ShadyBrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #19

Plywood floor and ceiling, floor plan, and reputation for service if there are problems after the purchase.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #20

Anything else in the price range seemed to be missing something. We understand trying to shoehorn sleeping, eating, cooking and entertaining into a confined space means compromise but Jayco seems to do a pretty good job of making it work which means great value for the money.

We're lucky to have a Jayco dealer near our house and they've been great to deal with - we've bought 3 over the years. In looking for our current rig, we visited other Jayco dealers to see floorplans not on the local lot. We came away thinking most of the Guys with Jayco as a primary line are a cut above other dealers.

We had to take a trailer back to Jayco to repair some owner induced damage and it was like dealing with a neighbor you liked. They sympathized with and laughed at what we screwed up.

There are a lot of changes at Jayco in product and leadership. Maintaining quality and a family culture could be difficult as they control costs to stay ahead of the conglomerates. I'm rooting for them
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote