Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Why trailer tires

I'm going to replace the tires on my 08 Jayvo Jayflight G2. When I bought the trailer 6 months back the tires were and still are like new, no cracking and the tread is like new. But the build date is April 07 so they are about 5 years old and I'm going to be doing a lot of camping this year so I want to put new tires on it. My question is do I need to use a trailer specific tire or can I use a better car tire with a higher load and speed rating, The trailer tires on it now are Goodyear ST205/75 R15

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Joe,

If you plan to use the existing TT wheels, confirm the maximum psi rating of the wheel if you plan to increase the maximum tire psi rating. The psi rating will be noted on the outside of the wheel (sticker or stamped), or in some cases inside the wheel which requires removing the tire. Rim width can be an issue depending on how much wider a tire one might be considering.

Another limitation on increasing the tire size will be top of tire to wheel well clearance, which ideally you want 3" under loaded conditions, and at least 1" between the tires under loaded conditions.

Just for reference, here are some of the trailer tires Maxxis offers:

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Tra...ST-Radial.aspx

The style of tire (trailer specific or other) is up to you, but you may find that size/rating availability will be the limiting factor.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #3

Thank you for the information. I'm going to use the same size tire but was worried about the age of the tires on the trailer now. I just did a search and found some information that said to replace trailer tires every 3 to 5 years, and that the side walls are stiffer than car tires so not to use car tires on a trailer, only trailer specific tires.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Joe,

I'm upgrading my existing (original) Maxxis TT tires from a 6ply to 8ply, 50psi to 65psi, in a new Maxxis of the same size this spring. I've heard of some folks going to an automotive tire (possibly an LT ??) where one can get stiff sidewall-high ply tire, but they had 5th wheels which seem to have more room for tire clearances.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

When you say automotive tire I assume you mean LT truck tires. 8 or 10 ply truck tires work well on travel trailers and 5th wheels.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #6

Unfortunately, I don't think they make a LT truck tire in a 15" tire. The LT's on larger trailers and 5th wheels are all mounted on 16" rims. You can however get 15" ST tires in 6, 8, and even 10 ply if the rims are rated for the required tire pressure. In my experience most 15" Jayco rims are rated for up to 75 psi.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think they make a LT truck tire in a 15" tire. The LT's on larger trailers and 5th wheels are all mounted on 16" rims. You can however get 15" ST tires in 6, 8, and even 10 ply if the rims are rated for the required tire pressure. In my experience most 15" Jayco rims are rated for up to 75 psi.
They are out there you just have to look. Our 08 GMC Canyon had them and I replaced all four.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Here you go in your size..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...75&diameter=15
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #9

Was told the ST tires have softer sidewalls (compared to LT tires). This allows the rubber to move more (when going around sharp corners) instead of over stressing the steel suspension parts. re: Bent hanger brackets and possible broken leaf springs. Was also told that ST tires have more UV protection chemicals. Not too sure if this is true. LT tires can fit on Trailer rims. On our previous farm, we always used LT tires on our farm wagons. The problem with LT tires is they vibrate the chassis more. No big deal with bails of hay/straw in the low speed farm wagon. But with delicate dishs, windows and electronics, not too sure if I'd use LT tires under RVs. I'd would investigate ST tires for my RV but with higher weight rating - since I tend to "load heavy". Thus, getting stronger tires (for double railway track bumps) but still allowing some rubber movement around the sharp corners. Also, my insurance company loves ST tires on RVs. If I used LT tires on my RV and major accident, I bet some lawyer would make millions in court - due to LT (Light Truck) tires on a RV (trailer). Especially when the RV manual clearly states to use ST "trailer" replacement tires….

Hope this helps in your research….
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike99 View Post
Was told the ST tires have softer sidewalls (compared to LT tires). This allows the rubber to move more (when going around sharp corners) instead of over stressing the steel suspension parts. re: Bent hanger brackets and possible broken leaf springs. Was also told that ST tires have more UV protection chemicals. Not too sure if this is true. LT tires can fit on Trailer rims. On our previous farm, we always used LT tires on our farm wagons. The problem with LT tires is they vibrate the chassis more. No big deal with bails of hay/straw in the low speed farm wagon. But with delicate dishs, windows and electronics, not too sure if I'd use LT tires under RVs. I'd would investigate ST tires for my RV but with higher weight rating - since I tend to "load heavy". Thus, getting stronger tires (for double railway track bumps) but still allowing some rubber movement around the sharp corners. Also, my insurance company loves ST tires on RVs. If I used LT tires on my RV and major accident, I bet some lawyer would make millions in court - due to LT (Light Truck) tires on a RV (trailer). Especially when the RV manual clearly states to use ST "trailer" replacement tires….

Hope this helps in your research….
Sorry, but I really don't agree with any if that.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Sorry, but I really don't agree with any if that.
Sorry if you don't agree. Been there, done that and seen lawyers fight over worst things. Heck, I even heard of a guy sewing MacDonalds because his coffee cup was too hot. Like I said... Call your lawyer and tell them a "what if story..." What if the other guy had tires under his RV that are NOT ST type, a tire blew, wipe out your wife and kids... Can you sue his all damages - because he had improper tires under his RV??? Bet he can.... Just likfe is someone welded a witch or drilled into a hitch and its document clearly states, do NOT weld, drill or modify. Lawyers have open season with user modified hitches as well....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #12

I guess I shouldn't have said 'any of it'. ST tires have stiffer sidewalls because of the extreem flex and bent spring hangers happen because of this if you do a lot of turning on hard surfaces.

ST tires do have more UV protection in the rubber formula. Tire covers help to avoid this weathering for ST and LT tires.

I cannot see how one round tire can "vibrate" more than another. Have any proof?

What really counts is the load carrying capacity of the tire. Most load range E tires will carry around 3000 lbs. Not necessarily all trailers come with ST tires. Our 04 Montana 5th wheel had LT 235/75/16 load range E tires on it from the factory. I would think most insurance companies would be more afraid of low quality Chineese tires than if they are ST or LT.

I just checked my owners manual and it only mentions that passenger tires don't have the load carrying capacity. So P rated tires should not be used. "When replacing a tire make sure to replace it with a tire of the same size and specifications. Meaning load range and load carrying ability.

We have had trailers since 1979 and I have never been asked by the insurance company what the tires were. There are as many what if's in this world as there are low life lawyers