Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #21

Thank you oldmanAZ, I was aware of a couple things that drain the battery while not plugged in, which is why I always took battery out for extended periods of parking. Wish the techs at dealership did the same as it’s always drained when I pick it up after repairs!
Can you please direct me to where I can find the “converter/charger” or how o check it?

On another note, bdreinv, last time TT was in my driveway (and plugged in) I could hear a fan running but had no idea where it was coming from and why it was running especially since nothing else was on??

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Thank you oldmanAZ, I was aware of a couple things that drain the battery while not plugged in, which is why I always took battery out for extended periods of parking. Wish the techs at dealership did the same as it’s always drained when I pick it up after repairs!
Can you please direct me to where I can find the “converter/charger” or how o check it?

On another note, bdreinv, last time TT was in my driveway (and plugged in) I could hear a fan running but had no idea where it was coming from and why it was running especially since nothing else was on??
The converter/charger is a component behind (and part of) the panel that holds your trailer's 120v circuit breakers and 12v fuses. Do you know where those are located? Ours are under our oven.

I'm betting the mysterious fan you heard was the fan that cools the converter/charger. The fan runs when the converter needs additional cooling due to 12v loads. It's likely it was running because the converter/charger was trying to charge your trailer battery (or some other 12v item you didn't know was on). If I'm right, turning off the main circuit breaker or the breaker to the converter/charger will turn off that noise.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #23

Yes I do know where fuse panel is - I haven't checked it lately, but I have been watching stuff on YouTube about the converter issue to get a better feel of what to look for. I am hoping to bring TT home from storage next weekend if weather warms up so I can do a wax job on it and will look into these issues while I am at it
Once again many thanks for your time and expertise - this forum is awesome!!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #24

BTW, one thing I did I notice on YouTube was that if battery terminals touch it may blow a 40ampm fuse: either last Spring or winter I did accidentally touch my wrench to each post while removing or installing the battery nuts and a few sparks flew up. Maybe this is the culprit???

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 11-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #25

Still haven't had time to address this but now my battery is completely dead. I tried charging it on trickle charge and to no avail. Took it to an auto store and they couldn't even get a reading on it cuz it's so dead. I guess I need to start with replacing the battery before I check everything else. I had plans to do this a couple weeks ago but needed to wash/wax it before it got too cold. After I started it began to rain the last 15 minutes before I was finished and that changed all my plans. Hope to get to it soon, the weather here has gotten too cold to do as much as I wanted to. Hopefully soon

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM   #26

Battery charging and

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If your battery died when you had it plugged into a home outlet with the adapter, then your battery was not being charged. You do not need a 30amp out or 50amp trailer connector for that.

There are drains on your battery with all 12v items switched off, the CO/propane detector for example. We often call these 'parasitic' drains and they can drain your battery in less than a week.

The first things to check now is that your converter/charger and main 120v breakers are switched on. If they are, then check the voltage at the battery. The converter/charger should keep it at ~13.3v minimum ('trickle charge') and higher voltage if the battery needs charging.

Please check those and let us know what you find.
Hello oldmanAZ, just an update
I bought a new battery and took out trailer a couple weeks ago
When I got home from towing RV I noticed the new battery was dead again so obviously it’s not charging while driving nor shore power
I have an order in Jayco to have it checked under warranty but the dealer can’t get to it for about 3 more weeks
Thanks again for your previous input, my dealer wouldn’t look at it without charging me at the end of last year because I couldn’t pin-point the specific problem. Now Jayco has it documented so it will be looked at

2016 Jayflight 27BHS