Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Wierdest sound inside TT

Ok,
My TT is parked in driveway. Sea level-ish. Battery disconnected. Level via Anderson wedges. Plugged into dedicated 30amp from house fuse box.

Twice now, a week apart I hear a high pitched sound coming from inside (best way I can describe sound is like a cicada-we don't have them here in So cal).

First time I went up to the fridge (off-empty-latched open) opened the door and the sound suddenly stopped.
2nd time I heared it out open slide window, went in and it immediately stopped as I entered door (vibration).

Is this a bug under the fridge)making a loud noise(if never heard before in these parts)?

Can some compressor-ish thing from the fridge be the culprit (even tho it's been off for weeks)?

Can the fuse box/electrical make a noise anything like this? ( I know the water heater whine at high alt sounds like- it's not that)

We are planning a big trip soon n want to be ship-shape.
If something was leaking it wouldn't stop just be me entering- and there no smell of gas- n I've 2 extra Carbon M meters besides built in one- all fine.

Sorry for being paranoid- just want to ask if anyone has experienced anything remotely like this.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #2

I get a high pitched noise that comes from my electrical panel and the sound will change louder/softer as I turn things on/off. Not sure what it is but i had thought it was the fan in the panel but took apart and still hear noise when fans not running. Thinking i’m going to need to eventually change out electric panel but not sure how entailed it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #3

I know the high pitched whine sound. we get it at high alts n it's the electric water heater.
This sounds like high pressure gas leaking making a whistling sound. Could it be some non-propane gas-freon etc leaking from fridge somehow? But it's off and why would it stop the second I step into TT.
There's no carbon M monitors beeping either

Maybe it's a freak unique sounding cricket under the fridge bent on driving me crazy-haha!
Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #4

Since you are plugged in and the battery is disconnected it may be something in the electrical center. Try connecting your battery and see if it goes away. If nothing else you are charging/maintaining your battery.

I have an inverter in my truck that makes a noise like you describe when I don't have a load connected or when the voltage drops down. My theory is that something in your electrical system is seeking more power periodically than your converter can put out and it results in the noise you describe.

The fact it seems to go away when you move inside the trailer may just be coincidence.
NOTAHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #5

We hear the same noise in our camper. Ours always occurs when we turn the lights out at night. Our noise is coming from the inverter (electrical panel). Ours always dies out and goes away after a minute or two. Has been doing it since we bought the unit in 2014. Never has caused a problem, but I have always wondered about it so would be interested to hear from anyone who knows exactly what it is.
Camp Winican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Wierdest sound inside TT

From what you describe, pretty sure it is your power converter. Basically it converts ac from your shore power to DC. Even when connected to shore power, your lights run of DC. A 'smart' converter senses a weak battery and will output a higher voyage to charge your batteries. With your battery disconnected, your converter may be overloading your dC circuit. Try hooking your battery up and see if the noise continues. Is so, you may have a bad converter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #7

Will connect the battery. Great advice. It's so rare for it to happen right now (twice, that I've noticed in 2 weeks. Not a big worry sitting in driveway but major headache at sundown on a chilly thanksgiving trip I guess.
Converter replacement hardware doesn't look that expensive but I'm sure labor would be quite intensive. Anyone had to do that?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:05 AM   #8

Before you replace your converter, verify that it is the problem.

Here is a good link for testing a power converter
https://axleaddict.com/rvs/RV-Camper...nd-Replacement

My converter was made by progressive dynamics and when mine went out I was able to call their customer support for help in diagnosing the problem.

Before you can test the converter, you need to make sure your battery is good and will hold a charge. As a side note, to keep your battery connected and being charged by the converter will improve the life of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #9

Question. If you are plugged into a 30 amp from the house, why would you disconnect the battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Ok,
My TT is parked in driveway. Sea level-ish. Battery disconnected. Level via Anderson wedges. Plugged into dedicated 30amp from house fuse box.

Twice now, a week apart I hear a high pitched sound coming from inside (best way I can describe sound is like a cicada-we don't have them here in So cal).

First time I went up to the fridge (off-empty-latched open) opened the door and the sound suddenly stopped.
2nd time I heared it out open slide window, went in and it immediately stopped as I entered door (vibration).

Is this a bug under the fridge)making a loud noise(if never heard before in these parts)?

Can some compressor-ish thing from the fridge be the culprit (even tho it's been off for weeks)?

Can the fuse box/electrical make a noise anything like this? ( I know the water heater whine at high alt sounds like- it's not that)

We are planning a big trip soon n want to be ship-shape.
If something was leaking it wouldn't stop just be me entering- and there no smell of gas- n I've 2 extra Carbon M meters besides built in one- all fine.

Sorry for being paranoid- just want to ask if anyone has experienced anything remotely like this.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

My water heater makes that sound when heating, whether on gas or electric. I looked at it and it appears to be coming from the circuit board. Like I said, it only makes the noise when the burner is on.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #11

Maybe your trailer is morphing to this for Halloween:
Attached Thumbnails
nightmareestates.jpg  

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote;
Question. If you are plugged into a 30 amp from the house, why would you disconnect the battery?

I used to keep the battery connected always when plugged into 30amp at home (it's a dedicated 30amp hooked up to house just for TT)

Previous advice said to disconnect battery as it shortens its life as it's constantly being charged to the max.

If this is wrong, and I should have my battery hooked up whilst plugged in, please let me know.

Btw, I tested the battery (that was unhooked for 2 months) bf hooking it up n it was 12.7 so it's holding a full charge.

Also, I haven't heard the sound no that my battery is hooked up.

Thx all for the great advice.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #13

So mad now,
I'd listen to much advice online saying you should unhook battery when you get home n plug into 30amp... as constant charging will damage battery-going as far as to instal a battery cut-off breaker.
Now it's apparent that your electric/converter uses the battery as a kind of buffer for any spikes or sudden surges.
Is this right (I'm such an electrical idiot)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:38 AM   #14
Site Team

Do some internet research on your converter. If the rv is less than 4 years old, you likely have a modern converter that has a circuit built in to keep your battery in tip top condition and can be left plugged in and in the circuit all the time.

Actually it is the best choice for battery longevity.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:49 AM   #15

Quote:
So mad now,
I'd listen to much advice online saying you should unhook battery when you get home n plug into 30amp... as constant charging will damage battery-going as far as to instal a battery cut-off breaker.
Now it's apparent that your electric/converter uses the battery as a kind of buffer for any spikes or sudden surges.
A charged battery is a happy battery

When I am not going to ride my motorcycle for a long time, I hook it up to a battery tender to keep it charged and extend its life.

The only time I would disconnect the battery is if I were to put my RV in storage where I did not have electricity. Even then, I would probably pull the battery and take it home to hook up to a tender.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Winican View Post
We hear the same noise in our camper. Ours always occurs when we turn the lights out at night. Our noise is coming from the inverter (electrical panel). Ours always dies out and goes away after a minute or two. Has been doing it since we bought the unit in 2014. Never has caused a problem, but I have always wondered about it so would be interested to hear from anyone who knows exactly what it is.
x2
Except ours is a 2016

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
So mad now,
Don't get too mad, that used to be good advice. Old converters used to just put out one level of voltage to the battery, so boiling off the liquid was common. Modern converters are 3 or 4 stage chargers and as mentioned above, are designed to keep your battery charged and conditioned.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #18

I also read on here somewhere that once you get home and get "plugged in" that should charge my TT battery. I tried this and just the opposite happened. After a few days my battery was dead. However, I do not have 30amp. Is this the difference?
I just used the normal plug-in to my garage with the adapter plug. Do I need a 30amp box to allow my battery to charge???
Hope to do this upgrade before next Spring but will see how finances dictate?
No plans of upgrading to a more expensive 50amp model so 30 should be good enough for my needs!
Thanks in advance for any help

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I also read on here somewhere that once you get home and get "plugged in" that should charge my TT battery. I tried this and just the opposite happened. After a few days my battery was dead. However, I do not have 30amp. Is this the difference?
I just used the normal plug-in to my garage with the adapter plug. Do I need a 30amp box to allow my battery to charge???
Hope to do this upgrade before next Spring but will see how finances dictate?
No plans of upgrading to a more expensive 50amp model so 30 should be good enough for my needs!
Thanks in advance for any help
If your battery died when you had it plugged into a home outlet with the adapter, then your battery was not being charged. You do not need a 30amp out or 50amp trailer connector for that.

There are drains on your battery with all 12v items switched off, the CO/propane detector for example. We often call these 'parasitic' drains and they can drain your battery in less than a week.

The first things to check now is that your converter/charger and main 120v breakers are switched on. If they are, then check the voltage at the battery. The converter/charger should keep it at ~13.3v minimum ('trickle charge') and higher voltage if the battery needs charging.

Please check those and let us know what you find.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #20

In my camper maybe once a year there is a cooling fan for the inverter next to electrical panel. It sounds weird! Let us know what you figure out.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote