Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Our WiFi frustration was just trying to check email (verification that bills set up to pay automatically had actually been paid), and to surf (PassPort America, Harvest Host, Google maps) to plan the next day or two on the road.
This was the MAIN reason we went with the WiFi signal extender. When making reservations we would ask for a site close to the CG's AP, that way we had a half a chance of getting the billing/email done. If possible when you are registering or making reservations ask to be close to an internet Access Point. To me is was worth the $100 to get the equipment DW is happy (bigger reason).

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:40 PM   #42

We use the directv genie go to download shows and movies to the iPad and then watch them via HDMI connection to the TV while we camping or boating.
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #43

Sherm (OldmanAZ)

Sorry for the delay in my response. The device that we use was bought at Walmart. I just checked and the price has dropped considerably:

Straight Talk Access Points, Hubs & Switches : Networking - Walmart.com

It is a Straight Talk device. If you decide to get one, be sure it uses Verizon towers as there was another model for AT&T towers that was having problems.

For the most part, in our travels, we almost always had cell phone service (Net10 on AT&T towers) but if we had no data, the Verizon hotspot almost was always gave us data.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #44

I was glad to see that my 2016 seasonal packet that arrived the other day mentioned significant WIFI upgrade coming for the 2016 season. My service last wasn't that bad actually, as I have an almost unobstructed straight shot from my trailer to the CG AP. Email and web surf has not been an issue, but streaming video could be a bit dicey. I'm going to hold off buying a extender or hot spot equipment until I actually hook up this year and see how good the 'improvements' really are.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #45

Where are you seasonal?
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Where are you seasonal?
Shady Knoll in Brewster MA.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #47

I'm surprised this thread has gone on so long. It seems we've never had a strong signal, mostly tengonet in man parks and it's weak. I thought all parks had weak WiFi signals. Maybe it's just a problem here in the west.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #48
Site Team

I usually elect not to pay for those "pay to use" offers in campgrounds while we are traveling for a day or so. We just use our hot spot on the iphone for the basics and move on. The free day they offer is usually slower that our iPhone hotspot anyhow because most everyone is on there trying to stream video etc.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #49

Tengonet the worst system. Hotspot works way better as a rule.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust&Woodchip View Post
Great info amigos! I too sometimes use "Hot Spot" on my cell phone for WiFi, but I just wonder if it's pulling too much data (more $$$) if I decide to watch a Netflix movie or 2 per nite.
I think a movie or a couple hours of streaming video will use close to a gig. Look at your plan but the mostly they usually start you at is two gigs monthly unless you pay for more.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #51

Verizon has an app that lets you closely monitor your data usage. It also breaks it down to what type of apps are consuming how much data. Music, social media, video, etc... I have on occasion used my phone as a hot spot for streaming to my roku stick. Video streaming consumes a lot of data, so I'm careful to monitor my usage while hot spotting with my phone. I have 12gb a month and you'd be surprised how much data a 2 hour movie will consume. Netflix for example will consume about 1gb per hour on standard definition and up to 3gb per hour for HD. So if you can boost the CG signal, your much better off than hot spotting from a phone or a stand alone hot spot device.