Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
The fine print says they reserve the right to throttle you at 22GB depending on traffic at the tower you are connected to. Haven't seen it first hand yet.
Yeah, that would bug me. Unlimited but with limits is kind of an oxymoron.

22GB is a lot of bandwidth for 20 bucks though. I'd be paying Verizon an extra 125/month for it.

Good for everyone to know what their options are. It still really boils down to where people want service and how much they need. A good antenna sounds like it's mandatory weather you are trying to extend the range of the camp grounds wi-fi, or the range of the nearest cell tower. What appeals to me with the Mobley is that I'm not using my 600 dollar cell phone as a hotspot. We've done it in the past and it gets pretty hot. I don't want to brick my phone + pay an extra 100+ a month for the privilege if I can just extend the range of the available services and / or offload the hotspot functionality to a cheap, stand alone device.

Disclaimer.... I make my daughter turn her phone off when we hit the camping spot, weather it has service or not. I'm a borderline hypocrite in this issue because I make a living online and need the access I don't want my daughter to have when we're away from home. I guess it's one of those issues we all have to manage in our own families... i.e. Daddy needs his internet because he gets paid... child does not because it goes against what camping is all about. If I wasn't 'working from home' on the road, the only thing I'd use the internet for is talking with you guys and trip planning.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 AM   #22

Mobley

Bought mine at Best Buy. Only had it for a week, but WOW. Instead of using a WiFi with everyone else, I can use my Mobley for better speed and more secure connections. I bought the AC adapter. LOVE IT! Simple to set up. I was not an AT&T customer, so had to go to the local AT&T store to get the sim card activated. Before I did this, I set up the account with the AT&T Connected Car department over their phone line (Not the AT&T customer line). At the store, I told the sales rep I wanted the unlimited Connected Car stand alone for $20/month. He had to search for it, but found it and set me up. Well worth the minor hassle.

Unless there is no AT&T signal, I would never use a public WiFi, even the one at the CG. Not as secure, IMHO.
firerescue712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
This is what makes the Mobley so attractive to us. It turns your truck into a hotspot for 20 bucks a month, unlimited data..
I have no problem with this technology.... When we were at the Curry Hammock state park FL the cell service was 1 bar, not worth the $$ to start up the MiFi account for a week, for not so good data. That will equate to somewhere around 25 to 56Kbs and a lot of page time-outs.

If you have old DOS applications that is not an issue, with all the data that is downloaded with some of these webpages (looking for local attractions or your next CG)... frustration will set in pretty quick. Plain Email, will probably do fine, unless you add pictures or attach documents.

Where we are right now, we have 1 bar and sometimes we luck out and get 2 bars, MANY dropped calls (Verizon service... ATT has the same issues.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (but the view is BEAUTIFUL!!!)

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescue712 View Post
Bought mine at Best Buy. .
Thanks firerescue712! I was a block away from Best Browse when I saw your post so I stopped by and got me a Mobley... yay. The sim card was already installed and they set me up with an account (we use Verizon for phones). I plugged it into my Infiniti QX56 and didn't even need to use the key and it showed up on mi iPad. I ordered the adapter from eBay... good to go. The Mobley coupled with our weBoost cell signal extender makes us happy campers.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #25

Anyone using an Alfa WiFi Camp-Pro 2 ?
Results?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote