Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #61

F150 towing and sway

I pull a 30 ft Jayco Whitehawk with a 2013 F150, 5.0, king cab, 8 ft bed, tow package.

Swat control requires proper sway control system, besides just the load level system I have. I installed two of the sway bars, and I have virtually no sway from windy days or trucks. Just drove from Kentucky to Branson Mo in constant side winds and loads of trucks. I noted several 3/4 and 1 ton trucks pulling Tongue draw and 5th wheels having some real dangerous battles. Part was their speed probably 70 plus (I do between 60 and 65), poor hitch set ups, and at various campgrounds some really poor setups. I have noted most 4wd trucks are very tall and they are hitched so most TT weight is on the back axle. My issue was my 2wd is short compompared to my Whitehawk, but I have the hitch that levels it out. I would recommend buying 10 ply best truck tires - wider, a bit taller and stable sidewalls, and next is heavy duty truck shocks. Both made a big difference.

Get on you tube and look up TT set up videos. AlwYs something learn.
Cardfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunterr44 View Post
My 2016 F-150 2.7EB doesn't seem to be enough truck for my 28BHS. The engine seems to be strong enough, but the amount of sway is alarming at times. I am tossed around on the freeway like a toy, it seems. I stay 5 under the speed limit, and my trailer isn't packed with stuff.....

Should I stick with the F-150, just get a new model with a V-8 ? Will I obtain much more control of the truck/rig if I go to an F-250 ?

RV'ers that have done the same - do you see a BIG improvement in your ability to handle things on the freeway ?
I have towed for decades and have never had issues with weight distribution or tongue weight etc. It is hard to know what to pack where all the time. With a proper weight distribution hitch and the number of links dropped (yes, hook up the trailer to the truck and crank that sucker up... much easier to lift the bars) you should not have that much sway.

I have read a number of responses and one thing I haven't seen is mention of tires. The one and only time in all of my years of towing that actually frightened me was when I bought a new tow vehicle (Chev Tahoe) and when I went on the first trip, I was all over the place. Considered turning back it was so bad. When I did get back home after 2 weeks of torture, I spoke to my truck guy and he said, 'Tires!'.

I had some cheap ones on the truck that came with it and never even considered it. Put some high quality tires on (can't remember what as it was a long time ago) and it made all the difference in the world.

Another consideration for you along with the many others here!
JaycoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2tiger View Post
I'll add another 2 cents to the piggy bank here.

I was towing with a 2015 F150 EB for years. Made all of the needed modifications (ProPride hitch, sway bar, suspension mods, etc.). That truck towed fantastic. No sway, little to no push/pull from other vehicles and the EB was a beast. I had it all perfect and was VERY confident in my setup. Many thousands of miles of happy towing.

Then came the day, with my two kids in the backseat and wife in the passenger that I had to make an emergency maneuver at 65mph in a split second. It was at that point that I realized the truck was just too light. The trailer controlled that situation and it was nothing more than luck that got us out of it unharmed.

I traded up to a 3/4 ton and what a difference that extra weight and braking capability makes.

Just something further to consider on top of everything else.
Great example. I’ve always tried to control what I can and be prepared for the things I can’t. The folks with undersized trucks who say it tows “great,” likely have never experienced an “emergency maneuver” situation like you did. Hopefully they never will. For me it’s not worth a life to save a little money or fuel on a smaller truck, gambling that it will be enough. Kinda reminds me of what mom used to say to me and my brother when we did dumb things: “Sure, it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.”
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:15 PM   #64

There is a lot of good info here and all talk about the weight of your trailer and towing capacity. Also some have found ways around or to mask the issue of your truck being out weighed. Your truck is outmatched. If you make adjustments or add this and that to hide the issue it will bit you in the ass. Either seek professional help or take your chances. This has gone on longer than it would have taken to correct or keep this in mind when you find a bigger truck. I had to step up to a 2500HD . Just because a 1/2ton can doesn't mean it should.
Genr8rs is offline   Reply With Quote