Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

will be a 154bh owner soon - help with hitch and brake controller

Greetings all! New member, 1st time poster and will be a first time TT owner. My wife and I are moving up from tent camping -we retired last year and will be doing one or 2 longer trips per year. We just got back from a 5 week trip to Glacier and Yellowstone and tent camped the entire time. There were a couple of miserable rainy days where we spent most of the day sitting in our Outback and decided we needed to step it up a notch. We don't need a lot of luxuries, so we chose the 154bh because we can use the bunk area to store gear once we get set up.

Our tow vehicle will be a 2017 Tacoma V6 with tow package - rated for towing 6400lbs. We want to have everything for the truck that we need before getting the trailer. We've been soaking up as much online info as we can, but would like input from anyone willing to share. For a brake controller, I was looking at the Tekonsha line since it seems to be recommended quite a bit and. Would the Primus IQ be a good choice or would a lower priced model be suitable? I'm also assuming I would need a WDH since the trailer weight is more than 50% of the truck weight. Any thoughts on a good one that isn't overkill. I don't mind paying for what I need to be safe, but don't want to pay for more than I need. I also will head back to the TT dealer to let them know which TV we have and get their recommendation for what we need. The TT salesman we talked to before we got the Tacoma - got it yesterday - was very helpful showing us the Jayco line and wasn't pushy at all. He invited us to come back as many times as we needed to look, have questions answered, and look some more. Thanks!
waterfallrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #2

I would definitely get a WHD without question for safety and peace of mind. I have an Equal-i-zer and really like it - Made in the USA and wonderful customer service. I installed it myself (very easy), it saved me some money and also made we aware just what the WHD does and also I know how to adjust it, which you will need to do. Congrats on getting off the ground; we did that same thing several years ago.
Lake Powhatan, up near you, is a favorite local campground for us.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Welcome!

A WDH is a must, and I would recommend one with integrated sway control. I was happy with the Reese Dual Cam, and went with that because it's what our dealer sold. There are several other brands out there that are equally as good.

The Tekonsha brake controllers are very good. I went with the P2 as I didn't need/want the bells and whistles that came with the others.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

OK W-RICH, gonna try this again. As you may see from my Signature, I too own a 154bh, Baja Edition. Because I have a bit larger truck, I eschewed a WDH but others have addressed that. I purchased a POD brake controller for about $75 and it works well. Just be a little cautious when first trying it; find the "sweet spot" on the controller to preclude locking up your TT brakes. I've made several modifications to my little 154, and if you're interested you can visit my Forum's Personal Profile, send me a direct email and I'll try to give you the benefit of my limited experience. I have one recommendation: if you've not yet bought your 154, I strongly suggest you consider the Baja edition - inverted axles on larger tires (15") for more ground clearance, larger holding tanks and larger propane tank. I had a more detailed response, but somehow the Forum kicked me off, hence this abbreviated response.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
I have one recommendation: if you've not yet bought your 154, I strongly suggest you consider the Baja edition - inverted axles on larger tires (15") for more ground clearance, larger holding tanks and larger propane tank.

Thanks! We asked about the Baja, but this dealer in NC doesn't carry them. He said he could order one, but the extra delivery cost alone would be $500 since they are made in Idaho. I'll look at the POD controller
Old 10-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting a new Jayco soon! I also recommend the equalizer brand hitch. Easy set up and disconnect. I like the Tekonsha brake controller that was installed by our dealer too. Read up on all you can, watch youtube videos and don't be afraid to ask questions. Lots of good people here on the forum with a wealth of information. You can also search for prior threads to read up on a topic. Have fun and enjoy your new trailer!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:00 PM   #7

Congrats and welcome! I would recommend the Equalizer WDH and P2 brake controller.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #8

Understand. Rather than going through some litany of my mods, suggest you check out the Modification section on the Forum's Contents page. It will provide you some very useful ideas, i.e. better sewage hose storage above the rear bumper (5" square PVC fence post), that front table/bed mod I mentioned and various others. Have fun thinking up things to make your TT more efficient- kinda like tricking up your wheels!
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #9

You will enjoy the 154bh. I have the 2016 Baja edition one and all has been great so far. I tow it with a tacoma as well a 2004 the first generation and it does ok. Yours has more power so I'm sure it will be ok. Just take your time up hills. In my own opinion I like the air bags that I put on the truck instead of the weight distribution hitch. Just hook up and flip the compressor switch and go. Trucks completely level and the air ride is better on bumps in the road. I talked my dealer into installing the brake controller as part of the deal maybe you can too. Good luck and congrats!
Moto_Man_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:08 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the input!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #11

I just got back from the Jayco dealer - Miles RV in Hendersonville - and the salesman said definitely on the brake controller and no I did not need a WDH with the setup I would have. He did recommend the Sway Command unit that is compatible with the trailer and could install it for about $200. Thoughts?
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfallrich View Post
II did not need a WDH with the setup I would have. Thoughts?
I would NOT leave home without a WHD: safety, easier driving, no porpoising, and just piece of mind.
You don't need a WHD until you DO need a WHD.
wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote