Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Will the mice ever go away?

I store my TT at a boat storage and repair facility which has a small lake for the guys to test motors. Since I began storing at this lot a few years ago, I have had nothing but trouble with mice. I always remove food from the TT before winter but this past fall they seem to have chewed into my heater and A/C 12V thermostat feed wire and the 12V feed to my water pump but I haven't found where they did that.

I plan to drop the underbelly this spring and do some wire troubleshooting and find where they are getting in. When I checked the camper this morning (it's been a few weeks since I checked last), there were 5 dead mice; 3 in traps and two drowned in the toilet. I'm tired of mice!!
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

They are destructive little buggers! We had a TT parked by the lake many years ago, and they would get in and eat blankets, toilet paper, Ivory soap bars, whatever was handy. We sealed every possible hole underneath, and even after that, they still got in under the bathroom sink. Nowhere to go one in there, except the traps. Our last Fleetwood popup had a slide out, and they climbed up where it met the body side (when closed) and did $1400.00 damage to the canvas and curtains. We did seal that one up too, but the slide was out at the time, and didn't even think about it. I feel your frustration.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

We also have had mouse issues. We have a 25 ft Jayco without a slide.
I just found a dead mouse in a trap the otber day. The trailer is parked in the yard. The jacks are not down so i hace no idea of hoe they are getting in.
I sealed the area around the dump valves last year as i found a spot where they could get in there.
Now i have no idea how they are getting in. When the ground dries up i will have to crawl under it and have a real good look and see if i can figure out how they are doing tbe break and enter.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #4

Just pulled our camper up into the driveway today. We park in out behind our house under an open pole barn and it right near the woods. We have lots of mice there as they get into my tractor every summer. The build nests in our wood pile which is stacked right along side the barn. Needless to say we get NO mice in our camper because I sprayed the entire underside with Mouse-Free. This is the second camper we have sprayed and we know it works because before either camper was sprayed, we had mice in them. The 28BHBE had mice get in last summer while we were camping! I sprayed it last fall and nothing at all.

The picture is from last spring with our 2012 26BH. The 28BHBE is parked in the exact same spot.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0996.jpg  

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:50 AM   #5

We use Irish Spring original scent soap at various places in our camper, and do not have a mouse problem. Just open a box and place, under sink and other areas, for instance.
I got this from one of the Forums years ago.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimw606 View Post
We use Irish Spring original scent soap at various places in our camper, and do not have a mouse problem. Just open a box and place, under sink and other areas, for instance.
I got this from one of the Forums years ago.
I guess our mice didn't get the memo that they were to avoid Irish Spring...

Those photos were from about 6 weeks ago when we were pulling our old camper out of our back yard and cleaning it out before trading it in on the new one.

We have had the best luck with Bounce Dryer Sheets but I don't know that it is as effective since a change in the formula.

I was under our camper this weekend and it is nice that the underbelly is sealed and insulated which will help prevent the buggers but I noticed that where the supports for the slide are appear to go right inside the fame and there are huge openings for them to climb in. All the have to do is jump up on the driver's side wheels and hop up into the frame are and I am sure they will find a way in. I was talking to a buddy and he said that cheap BBQ grill charcoal works well. I think I will try and put a bunch around the wheel areas this year and Bounce all over the inside.

For a final line of defense I use the 5 gallon bucket traps. A mouse trap is great but it only will catch one mouse unless you go in there periodically and check it and reset if needed. Use some RV antifreeze in the bucket and there is nothing to reset. I have caught hundreds of mice over the years in our buildings with them.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #7

Ugh.. you guys are making me nervous. My new 38FDDS is spending the off season at my new seasonal site down on Cape Cod (130 miles away from home). I haven't seen it since closing it last fall. I won't be opening it until May 15th but I'll be heading down in a couple of weeks to check on it. The DW put mothballs outside underneath, dryer sheets (and a few other things she read about) on the inside. I'm hoping there has been no mouse problems.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Just pulled our camper up into the driveway today. We park in out behind our house under an open pole barn and it right near the woods. We have lots of mice there as they get into my tractor every summer. The build nests in our wood pile which is stacked right along side the barn. Needless to say we get NO mice in our camper because I sprayed the entire underside with Mouse-Free. This is the second camper we have sprayed and we know it works because before either camper was sprayed, we had mice in them. The 28BHBE had mice get in last summer while we were camping! I sprayed it last fall and nothing at all.

The picture is from last spring with our 2012 26BH. The 28BHBE is parked in the exact same spot.
I was reading up a bit on this and it seems interesting. Do you have to reapply it or is it is a onetime application for life? I ask because it looks like 1 gallon would be needed to apply plus I have to buy the gun. If I buy 2 gallons I get the gun free.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

Go to Predator Urine - Original PredatorPee - Free Shipping - coyote urine, wolf urine, bobcat urine, mt. Lion urine, fox urine, bear urine, fisher urine for deer repellent, coyote control, rat problems, rabbit repellent, raccoon repellent, mouse trap, rod and get bobcat pee and sent tags. They also have pellets in a container. Bobcat pee works, now have happy wife.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #10

How does all that highlighted stuff happen to my post. All I put down was the name of web site???? There are other sites to, I use the cheapest ones.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Old 04-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #11

Will the mice ever go away?

Peppermint oil on cotton balls works very well. The scents lasts for as long as the cotton balls are thrown out.

Don't put the oil directly on the trailer because the scent will take awhile to fade
Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #12

It does not. I had so much in my RV u could not stand it. Bobcat Pee will work
Old 04-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Site Team

You can put what ever you want inside the TT, and you will always have mice (rodents). The only way to stop having mice/rodents is to find their entrance. I went to HomeDepot and picked up a couple cans of the foam spray below. I started at one corner of the TT (underside) and inch by inch went along the underbelly and sprayed the foam into the slight opening between the underbelly and the frame. There were places along the way that some big creatures could have slid in. There was a small slot along the dump valve. I sprayed between the sections were they were overlapped. Under the cap in front was a few slots. Even a 1/2" hole in the frame cross member, I believe was for another electrical box. Just for the heck of it, I lowered the spare tire under the TT and there was at least a 1" in diameter hole for the 1/8" cable that pulls the spare tire into place. I took a 4x4" blank electrical plate made a 1/4" hole in the middle and an 1/8" slot to slide the cable to the middle... centered it,,, put some foam in between and 4 screws to hold it in pace.

Oh and where the water drain valves were, there were also openings. So if they get into the underbody there are a zillion way to get into the living quarters. Take the foam and open every cabinet and foam around each water pipe that comes up through the floor. Also do the same for your electrical connections that come through the floor. The biggest opening you will find is behind the TT's Battery charge controller/AC breakers. There were more than one opening back there. Use LOTS of FOAM in those places.

Wife still uses 100% Pure Peppermint oil and dryer sheets. Between these defensive efforts we have managed to stay ahead of the critters. But if they are like squirrels it will be just a matter of time before they find an entrance that I overlooked.

Get the foam and start spraying.

Good Luck

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg   INSECT DUST.jpg   Peppermint oil.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I was reading up a bit on this and it seems interesting. Do you have to reapply it or is it is a onetime application for life? I ask because it looks like 1 gallon would be needed to apply plus I have to buy the gun. If I buy 2 gallons I get the gun free.
You need to touch it up every couple years. I spray it on very heavy and it lasts about 2 years. My 28BHBE took just over 2 gallons to completely cover the underside. I spray everything underneath including the axle tubes. It is so wet, the buggers can't begin to climb on it. The touch ups will take less than 1/2 gallon. I buy the 2 gallon kit and get the applicator. I now have 2 of them.

Definitely get 2 gallons as I don't think 1 gallon will cover it properly. That will give you enough extra for probably 2 more touch ups. I only touch up where it looks like it needs it.

The only downside to the Mouse-Free is that the underside will be dirty and greasy (oily) forever! The dirt and dust in campgrounds will soak into the Mouse-Free and will tend to make it appear dry but you will get dirty when you work on the underside. I don't mind getting dirty if I know there will not be mice in my camper!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #15

From what I was told once years ago, I believe mice leave like a pheromone trail then others follow. I've had mice in tent trailers and they just kept coming back doing damage so I hear ya...
I just bought a camper, so will be checking underneath with a light.
I wonder if a person sprayer like rocker guard spray if it would help...
Rooftop777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #16

You could make yerself one of these:

https://youtu.be/yC1XNDyxE4c

Throw a gallon or two of car antifreeze coolant in the bucket and there will be no smell when you go to toss out the expired rodents and they drown quickly.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:14 AM   #17

Never had one in my trailer-- but we had one in the basement-- and my wife made me hunt him down and TWERP (Terminate With Extreme Prejudice). Opted for TOM CAT BAIT -- killed him within a day. I don't know about all that other voodoo stuff, and I'm not going to follow a bobcat around to collect his piss-- I hear they don't like that

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #18

I'm not saying they work or don't work but I have those electronic pest deterants plunged in inside my camper. 2 of them. Used them in 3 different campers and no sign of mice at all. My camper stays plugged up to shore power all the time.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
You need to touch it up every couple years. I spray it on very heavy and it lasts about 2 years. My 28BHBE took just over 2 gallons to completely cover the underside. I spray everything underneath including the axle tubes. It is so wet, the buggers can't begin to climb on it. The touch ups will take less than 1/2 gallon. I buy the 2 gallon kit and get the applicator. I now have 2 of them.

Definitely get 2 gallons as I don't think 1 gallon will cover it properly. That will give you enough extra for probably 2 more touch ups. I only touch up where it looks like it needs it.

The only downside to the Mouse-Free is that the underside will be dirty and greasy (oily) forever! The dirt and dust in campgrounds will soak into the Mouse-Free and will tend to make it appear dry but you will get dirty when you work on the underside. I don't mind getting dirty if I know there will not be mice in my camper!
Hmm. I live on a gravel road so that will be a mess....
Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #20

Bobcat pee. It works
Rock