Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #1

Wind blew off stuff

Hi, I'm new the forum. Just bought a 2016 jay flight 28 RBDS. Only used it twice. We camp 4 days a month as we watch our grandson the rest of the time. Anyway, one of the rear bumper caps and one of the side marker light covers came off during our last trip from Dripping Springs to Port Aransas. (Central Texas to the coast). I was a little surprised as I have never seen a marker light cover come off. I'm interested if anyone else has had this problem, and if its a legitimate warranty issue?
Love the trailer!
Thanks,
Larkin
Itully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itully View Post
I'm interested if anyone else has had this problem, and if its a legitimate warranty issue?
Love the trailer!
Thanks,
Larkin
Never hurts to ask the dealer. IMHO, I'd say you have a legitimate complaint.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

We had the same issue with the side marker light cover coming off on our previous TT. It was all covered under warranty.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 PM   #4

Me thinks that it's such a trivial expense that the selling dealer will take care of it for you. If not be prepared for a $5 item (x2) and labor to install them (0.1 hours).

Next time make sure you cap that bumper plug very well.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

Welcome to the insanity

The bumper caps that come with the trailers are garbage. You'll want to purchase some rubber ones that lock in place... they are cheap and if the dealer were to replace them, you'd lose those too. Get good ones before your sewer hose (assuming you store it in the bumper) is dragging off your camper at 55mph through dripping springs. Just go to amazon or wherever and search for locking bumper plugs, you'll do fine.

The marker light coming off is a warranty item. Actual light and not just a reflector correct? Warranty item in either case.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:35 AM   #6

I had a marker lenses fall off our last camper while on a trip. Stopped at a non-Jayco dealer on 95 and bought a new one. They are cheap. Not worth the time or energy to take it in or call and wait for one to be mailed under the warranty.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:34 AM   #7

Honestly, I can't see why they'd cover that under warranty. If a wheel cover comes off your car, it wouldn't be covered by a warranty. That's all on you. The reason is proof of it being defective or not installed correctly from the factory. How do they know you didn't take the cover off to install a bulb and didn't put it back on the correct way? In short, they don't. Not saying you did, but you get the point. At that point they'd be taking your word for it. Here at the dealership, we'd probably get it covered just to make the customer happy and go away. Sounds harsh, but it's the truth. But who knows, maybe it'll fly. Can't hurt tryin'! Myself, I'd do what some have said. Buy it and be done with it. Less grief.

Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #8

For what that stuff costs I'd just get them myself and put them on. Who knows why they came off? Maybe faulty, maybe not. Maybe someone took them off while you were stopped for a break or getting gas. A lot can happen to the outside of the trailer on a trip.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:30 AM   #9
Site Team

The sewer end caps are on you IMO. I did have my dealer replace a front running light cover but it was a $3.00 item. I think they just replaced it free to make me smile.
When I got home I put a dab of clear caulk on it to help it stay in place. It just snaps in place.

There are threads on JOF that have better ideas on how to prevent the sewer end caps from getting lost.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

Bumper caps fall off some times. When you install them, look at the bumper, there is a slot in the metal bumper. Drill a hole in the cap that correlates to the slot, then take a piece of wire and put a "L" bend on one end and slip it down through bumper and cap. They will never fall out again.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #11

TT is 212QBW, marker light lens came off first trip. will be replaced in 2 weeks while in for a couple of other minor warranty fixes.
troutcamper
troutcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #12

Thanks

Appreciate all the feedback. Yeah, the lens is pretty cheap. Unless I have to make the drive for a warranty repair will probably just replace it myself. Never had one fly off in the past, must not have been on securely. The bumper plugs always seem to be hanging 1/2 out, thanks for the ideas on securing or replacing.
This forum is going to be great, so many experienced folks, and so much to learn!
Thanks, Larkin
Itully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Site Team

Just decided this summer to carry a spare lens for both colors. I noticed the right marker lens on the back wasn't quite on right, and it wouldn't "snap" on tight. It appears the light base was warped a little (maybe over tightened at the factory), so that light got replaced. Now that I have spares, I'll probably never need 'em.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #14

Over the years... I have lost count of all the marker covers lost... I went on Ebay and bought a supply of spares and keep them in-stock for the inevitable. As for the bumper plugs that keep your sewer hose in storage... buy a replacement set of good "rubber" plugs! the cheap plastic ones will fall out too easily and your sewer hose will fall out on the road.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #15

I also had a maker light blow off and according
to my dealer it is under warranty
stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #16

Perhaps just a drop or two of silicone when replacing those lost lens covers would keep them from falling off. I lost two when pulling my trailer home post purchase. It was used so I didn't give it much thought. I found them cheap online so I bought six each red and amber. After reading about it being a fairly common occurrence, I'm going to try just a bit of silicone as insurance. Not enough to make them difficult to remove... just enough to keep them from vibrating off.
olbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to Vicrus
A solution for bumper caps is to drill a 1/4" hole in the top of each side of the bumper with the caps in place. Then insert a nail through the hole.It will keep the cap in place.
Vicrus is offline   Reply With Quote