Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Wind vs Awning

As a newbie, I trying to figure out how much wind is too much for an awning. I know not to leave down unattended. But hot Texas afternoons can get breezy. I see some movement in the arms and awning movement. Just don’t know how much each can handle.
Mike_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:31 PM   #2

Honestly I do not know how much wind an awning can handle. I have never lost one. With that said, I do keep my electric awning out (tipped), and in fair amount of breeze and heavy rain and have never had an issue.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #3

I keep mine out for breezes. When I leave and in the evening I bring it in. Thunder storms I always bring it in. I lost one a few years ago during a storm in the evening just as I opened the door to bring in I watched it fly over the roof. I believe we lost at least 7 in our area that night. It was what I would describe as a microburst.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:47 PM   #4

In Wind vs Awning the wind always wins. At what point is up to you. I always bring it in at night and when away even if for only a few minutes. I am very conservative with it and bring it in if the gusts get to about 15 mph (about a club and a half for the golfers reading).
Old 06-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #5

We sometimes hook water jugs to the outside corners of the awning with a long strap or rope. This helps hold the awning in place. This is good for light to moderate winds.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #6

Steady wind is usually ok for about 10-15 mph, but that's always taking a chance. If there is a storm front moving in, the wind at 10-15 can easily gust to greater than 30 mph, the gusting is where I have seen people loose their awnings.

Personally I don't risk it, if it starts flapping, I roll it in.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #7

I think it depends a lot on where your camping. Here in Indiana most of the campgrounds are wooded and if there's a 20mph wind I can barely feel it at the campsite. I've left mine out in a lot of different kinds of weather and never had a problem. I love sitting under the awning while it's raining. If you're out in the open I would just pay close attention to the weather forecast.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
if it starts flapping, I roll it in.

That is my practice also.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #9

I use ratchet straps and dog tie's, the screw down anchors you leash your dog to. And tie the awning to those if questionable weather is coming. I am also in Indiana and as mentioned rarely feel the wind. Big storm coming, close it up
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #10
Site Team

We bring ours in about half way or a little more at night to keep the steps dry. If the wind gets up, it all the way in.

9 years and no damage yet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #11

One of the problems with when it is breezy is if there is a gust of wind in there. The awning seems to handle 10 - 15 mph breezes without a problem, but it if there is a gust of wind in there, you can get caught off guard. A manual awning can handle wind better.

We had a power awning on our Greyhawk. When we camped for extended periods of time, we'd tie the awning down as the space under the awning is living space for us. Our tie down system included 7" springs that allowed the awning to gently move, even in strong winds. The same tie down system isn't as effective on the manual awning on our Bungalow, but we still use it. It's cheap insurance (less than $20) for those times during the season when we'd get caught unaware, like a pop-up storm in the middle of the night.

We take the awning in if high winds are predicted, but there have been plenty of times that we've been caught without warning. Like no storms predicted when we went to bed only to wake up at 3, 4 or 5 in the morning to a strong storm blowing through. With the tie downs, I know the awning is safe.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #12
Site Team

Last year we bought a awning screen that slips in the lower slot on the awning. We leave it in place, well anchored during normal rain and light winds if we are there. It really helps so far.

Of course when we go away, the Sun screen has a full length zipper 1 ft. from the awning that makes it very easy to unzip and bring in the awning.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
We bring ours in about half way or a little more at night to keep the steps dry. If the wind gets up, it all the way in.
This is exactly what I do, bring it in and out based on conditions and amount of rain, to keep the steps dry.

Last thing I want to deal with is a half ripped off awning while stuck in the woods someplace.

Last week, when we camped and had heavy rain storms, I left it out about 3 or 4 feet. A big gust of wind came through in the middle of the night, and I think it caught the awning like a parachute, and gave the rig a good shaking... felt like a giant rocking the coach.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #14

Makes sense thank you
Old 06-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #15

Great advice thanks
Old 06-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #16

I'm a newbie too, about 7 months in and have been out 4 times in mine. We stake ours down just like we would our rain fly on our tent, but with bungies around the awning rod so there is just a little more give and it's easy to remove to pull the awning in. We pull it in if the wind seems to be gusting at all, at night, and if we leave the general area. With a breeze we've had no hint of any issue.
MoreOddThanEven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #17

All wind is too strong

All kidding aside we don’t leave ours extended unless we are sitting right next to it I learned the hard way last year when I walked in the house only to step outside and have a bent arm that I had to replace. If it’s slightly windy we tie the front corners down and connect to something heavy.
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #18

I'm very conservative about awning use. If in doubt, I retract, and I never leave it unattended or extended at all overnight. Colorado is very windy.

Several steps that may expand awning time and protect your awning from gusts:

A) Tie down: several screw anchors (or robust tent stakes) can serve as tie-down points for your extended awning. You may need to add attachment points on the awning arms. These might be small eye-bolts positioned so that they don't interfere with retracting the awning.
Simple paracord is enough to hold the awning.
The tie-downs should be designed to enable quick release when retracting the awning is essential in the wind. A simple hook on the end of the rope could allow quick release from the anchor. You might even add a stout bungee in parallel with the rope to allow a bit of "give."
If possible, the tie-downs should be long enough to enable one person to hold onto the tie-downs during wind events, while another person operates the power retract switch.
Once the awning is free of its tie-down anchors, it might become a bit of a handful unless you hold on tight.

B) Horizontal bracing: All popup camper "bag awnings" have horizontal bracing between the camper roof and the frame at the far edge of the awning. Some electric awnings don't have this feature, and this enables the awning to billow and collapse. If your awning doesn't have horizontal bracing, consider adding it, but bear in mind that an add-on brace may slow down retracting in wind events to the point the awning is damaged. And you might need to work from a ladder.

C) Vertical bracing and tie-downs: This video explains very clearly. https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/stabilize/
This kit would work on virtually any awning.

I had pop-up campers for many years, and I've wrestled with the awnings when the wind comes up. They are a bear, because all the framing must be packaged into the horizontal arm at the end of the awning, and then you must roll up the awning around this framing...by hand. I high winds, it can take a lot of strength. And high winds come up with the advancing front of thunderstorms. In other words, you must be pro-active.

Likewise, the more you reinforce your awning, the more time it will take to put it away if things turn ugly. In Colorado, 75 MPH gusts are not unusual. There's nothing quite as exciting as holding onto a 10' x 14' "sail during 75 MPH winds.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #19

Anchors and tie downs best way to go. But wind can be least of you problems. Water can do huge damage if you are not careful. At night would roll it in without fail. If you want it out during rain, lower one corner for run off. Best just roll it up when rain is on the way.
jpurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #20

I'm a weirdo. I actively hunt for wind - all the time. I kiteboard. It's one of the main things my buddies and I use our rigs for. I'll only use my awning in very light to dead calm conditions, but do use it frequently. I'll also only use it when I'm right there to bring it in at a moments notice. It only takes one gust. If a gust grabs it, you're not stopping it. Kiting is most frequently an afternoon sport needing 12+mph to make work depending on equipment, etc. So, where we go, most afternoons, the awning is in even though we and our families might prefer to have it out to get out of the sun. Most awnings have more sq. meters [how kite size is measured] than a typical kite we fly. Given how high our kites can launch us in the air, I don't take too many chances with the awning. In low wind areas, you can probably get away with much more depending on your risk tolerance. If you're in TX., North + South Padre Is., TX. are national wind meccas. I'd chance it less in places like that. Wind is a beautiful fickle mistress to chase around, but she bites.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awnings, wind