Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Window leak under warranty?

Hey Everyone,

Took my 284BHS to the dealer today have them look at some "sharp bumps" on my inside wall.

The dealer informed me that it is water damage and that the most likely culprit is the window right above the bumps. She then informed me that it may not be covered under warranty as the owner has to check the seals and make sure there are no cracks in the silicone. But here's the thing...the window doesn't have any silicone around it...just that "sponge" seal...which looks fine to my unprofessional eye.

Was I supposed to silicone all my windows after I took ownership of the trailer?

I understand that it is my responsibility to check the silicone seals and look for cracks but I can't check what isn't there.

Thanks
joleger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #2

I won't be surprised if they say you needed to maintain the sponge seal.

Thanks for the reminder. It's on my trailer to-do list to put OSI quad sealant around all the foam sealed windows. Already did Eternabond tape at all the roof seams, but I've been letting the window chore slide.

What year is your rig?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Purchased in April 2018

How do you maintain a sponge seal? :-)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

You don't. You cover it with OSI Quad Sealant.

Some people take the windows out completely and replace the foam with butyl tape.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
You don't. You cover it with OSI Quad Sealant.

Some people take the windows out completely and replace the foam with butyl tape.

I guess the $1M question is, "Is this type of activity (ie covering the foam) required for warranty?"

I guess I will find out when I hear from the dealer.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

Good luck on trying to get them to cover it. Fridge stopped working in 18 on my 17’ 28bhs and I’m getting the run around from the dealer, and Jayco never calls me back. Finance these things for 12 years and use them 5 maybe 6 times a summer, and they can’t barley make it past 2 years.
ArCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #7

lol i found a hole in the subfloor the size of a softball in my 2 day old trailer. Jayco told me it was my responsibility to check the slide seals.

Luckily the dealer took care of it, and it had nothing to do with the seals, only poor manufacturing.
mBuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

joleger,

I'd push the issue with your dealer, and/or Jayco...., IMO it's almost impossible to inspect the integrity of a seal that is hidden behind a window frame. But yes, those cheap rubber gasket window seals can be problematic, and in many cases the root cause was improper installation at the factory.

Once you get your issue addressed..., as mentioned, many of us have applied a bead of clear sealant over the top and a couple inches down each side over the rubber gasket seal.

A remote possibility............,

Check the roof/outside wall joint seam (gutter rail, etc.) above the window area. Had this very condition cause a leak in my prior TT where moisture ran down inside the wall, around the window, and moisture surfaced on the kitchen countertop located below the window. Had window seal replaced, and then the window replaced before locating the actual root cause (roof/outside wall joint). Covered under warranty.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote