Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

Winegard Wingman

I'm looking at buying the Winegard Wingman attachment to improve my TV reception but alas I am facing a challenge!

My refrigerator roof cap is right next to the antenna in its stowed position. I'm afraid the added width would make the antenna interfere with the fridge cap.

Can someone who has this mod installed take a measurement for me? I need to know by how much the antenna's width is increased when installed.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

Wingman

Don't waste your money. Didn't do anything for me.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #3

I might suggest the "King Jack" antenna, instead. I bought the replacement head version for about $50 a couple of years ago. It installed in about 5 minutes, and doubled the number of stations I can receive. It's considerably more compact than the "Wingman", so may fit without hitting the refer vent.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team

X2 on don't waste your money. I had one and trimmed it so it would not touch near by roof stuff when laying flat. It makes it to directional.

Trashed it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #5

Tell me about the King Jack install - does it attach to the factory mast? Is it as simple as just connecting the existing coax cable to the new antenna head? Any pics?
Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #6

I just did the 5436 King Jack install on my 5er. Not hard at all. The time consuming part was scrapping off all the old lap sealant. Look at post# 5436 in the "what did you do to your Jayco today" thread.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #7

Skybound,

No pics, but it is a quick-n-easy job. Yes, the "Head & Signal Booster" model attaches to the existing mast. You just crank up the mast and unscrew the cable from the old Wingman. There are two pins with clip washers that hold the Wingman to the mast. Carefully remove the clip washers (they like to shoot halfway across the campground if you're not careful), then remove the two pins and lift the Wingman off the mast. SAVE THE PINS & CLIP WASHERS FOR USE ON YOUR NEW KING JACK HEAD. The King Jack comes with two (2) mounting brackets - one for round poles and one for double square masts. Attach the appropriate bracket to the underside of the King Jack head with the screws provided (4 as I remember). The King Jack head looks like an arrow head. Position it on the mast with the arrow head pointing to the FRONT of your rig. Now, align the holes in the mounting bracket with the holes in the top of your mast, insert the pins and attach the clip washers. The King Jack kit comes with a small tube of dielectric grease. Squeeze a little of the grease on both sides of the cable connection and screw the cable into the connection on the King Jack head (make sure you don't wrap the cable around the mast).

Botta-bing/botta-boom . . . you're done. The King Jack comes with a signal booster which you won't use, because you already have one built into your rig.

Note: The King Jack is a directional antennae, so you must adjust the position for the best signal reception (from inside your rig).

As a summer State Park Campground Host, I talk to a lot of folks who have King Jack antennas on the rigs that were either installed by the factory or they installed themselves. I've yet to run across anyone who hasn't gotten 2-3 times the stations that their old Wingman brought in.

A lot of RV dealers carry them, or you can order one on Amazon for around $50-$55.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 AM   #8

Winegard now makes an antenna similar to the King Jack. My last trailer had the King Jack. My current 23RB has the Winegard Rayzar z1, RZ-6000. They are both the same. the antenna's rotate, but are on a fixed pedestal.

The King Jack and the Rayzar z1 both similarly well.

The King Jack that poster Brownie mentioned is the King Jack antenna head which is attached to the old folding antenna boom of the Winegard Wingman.

Don't know if Winegard makes the Rayzar z1 as a conversion to it's old Wingman antenna.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
X2 on don't waste your money. I had one and trimmed it so it would not touch near by roof stuff when laying flat. It makes it to directional.

Trashed it!
of course it makes it directional, that is it purpose,and why it will pick up stations farther away. in antenna speak it's called a director
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #10

Very cool, thanks guys. Sounds like I will likely go this route.

This is what I have found online:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Is this what I'm looking for? I want to use my existing mast/crank/etc and just replace the head itself. I don't want to run extra wiring or power or anything, just throw it on and connect the existing coax cable. Is that Amazon link what I want?
Old 03-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post

Is this what I'm looking for? I want to use my existing mast/crank/etc and just replace the head itself. I don't want to run extra wiring or power or anything, just throw it on and connect the existing coax cable. Is that Amazon link what I want?
Yep that'll work.
Or this one.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winegard-RZ...paTS0V&vxp=mtr
Or this one.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Winegard...BaBMBY&vxp=mtr
I was going to do this as well but after reading the reviews I'm gonna keep my batwing for now. Please let us know how it does for you.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

Skybound,

That's the one! I've had mine for about 1-3/4 years and I love it!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #13

That's what's been talked about as a replacement. You can get a Winegard Razar z1 antenna head that will do the same thing as the King Jack you linked to on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post

Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #14

I love the Razar z1 that came on my 23RB. It does a great job picking up OTA stations. I also loved the King Jack that was on my previous trailer, Koala 21CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Yep that'll work.
Or this one.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winegard-RZ...paTS0V&vxp=mtr
Or this one.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-Winegard...BaBMBY&vxp=mtr
I was going to do this as well but after reading the reviews I'm gonna keep my batwing for now. Please let us know how it does for you.