Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #1

Winter Battery Storage

Question for you guys. How many of you remove your battery and bring it inside for winter storage? I do it, but why? Is there any difference between this battery and a car battery that is outside in the cold temps? I disconnect it every time I put it in storage. But why do we bring the battery inside? I live in NW Indiana and we see temps below zero. thoughts?
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I bring mine in because not being used and recharged, I believe it will discharge over time in the cold. Once discharged, the acid solution could be more suseptible to freeze.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I bring mine in because not being used and recharged, I believe it will discharge over time in the cold. Once discharged, the acid solution could be more suseptible to freeze.
I guess this would vary on areas of the country. Here in Texas it does not get that cold but I do put it in the garage on wood and run a trickle charge to it once a week until the charger goes into FLO mode.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #4

This was the first year I didn't leave the TT plugged in all winter.

I disconnected the battery and unplugged the TT just before throwing the cover on.

We didn't get sub-zero temps this winter. So, the battery should be fine. I'll find out in the next week or so when I yank the cover and fire the TT up for the season.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Site Team

There probably are quite a few suggestions regarding this. When I lived at the IL/WI border, I left the battery in (with no loads attached), BUT.... I charged it every 2 months. Was I correct in doing it this way? Who knows. Doug takes his out, which is easier to do maintenance on.

So, here is what USBattery has to say about this.. you have to read all 3 to get to their thoughts (regarding low temperatures)

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Care 1.jpg   Battery Care 2.jpg   Battery Care 3.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

My PDI & service man told me if I don't take it out there are 2 lights that stay on which will run down the battery. One is for the stereo behind the unit which you usually don't see, I forgot what the other electric device is, probably the microwave.
When I dropped it off for service the first time - they had it for over a month and sure enough they didn't dis-connect the battery and it was dead. I've been having problems with it ever-since! It never holds a charge now. From now on I always dis-connect it after each use and also when I drop if off for service

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #7

OOPS I answered the same post up the page... It seems you have a double post going here...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
....they didn't dis-connect the battery and it was dead. I've been having problems with it ever-since! It never holds a charge now. From now on I always dis-connect it after each use and also when I drop if off for service
If it is an Interstate battery you may be able to get it replaced if it is within a year since it was purchased. Tell them it doesn't hold a charge.

I recommend installing a battery disconnect switch..

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 04-19-2017, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Question for you guys. How many of you remove your battery and bring it inside for winter storage? I do it, but why? Is there any difference between this battery and a car battery that is outside in the cold temps? I disconnect it every time I put it in storage. But why do we bring the battery inside? I live in NW Indiana and we see temps below zero. thoughts?

My battery lives in the basement of my house over winter on a couple of scrap 2x4's. It's not to protect the battery from voltage loss outside, as generally speaking, the colder it is - the less loss you'll see. I store all of my AA's, AAA's C cells, etc in my fridge for this reason.

I do it to prevent theft, over the long cold winter. That's really the only reason. It's also nice to start the camping season with a *fully* charged battery. If the camper was parked at my house, I'd never remove it, relying on the battery disconnect.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
My PDI & service man told me if I don't take it out there are 2 lights that stay on which will run down the battery. One is for the stereo behind the unit which you usually don't see, I forgot what the other electric device is, probably the microwave.
~snip
It is the CO/Propane Detector. Microwave is 110V only.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Modern battery cases are so much better than the old wood and bake-a-lite cased batteries. Most of us in the artic north have experienced, an old car battery seam to fail in the cold winter months, when they get old and weak.

I pull my battery, in the winter. My htt takes a nice long nap in a farmers barn way up north where it can get -30 oF. I place the battery, in my unheated garage, which might get down to freezing. I place my battery maintainer on my stored car batteries and deep cycle batteries about twice a winter. The batteries do loose a charge slowly over time. If the battery loses to much charge it can freeze and become destroyed.

As for our everyday cars, that we drive regularly, they are constantly being recharged, hence they should not freeze.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #12

Thanks guys, makes sense. I will keep bringing it in. I have the trailer stored in a lot about 10 min away with no way to charge.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 AM   #13

Sorry for the double post, internet locked up in the middle of my post and somehow made it post twice

Thanks for the clarification
Old 04-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #14

My one trailer is small enough to be parked at our house beside the garage. We keep the batteries in there at all times and it stays plugged in to shore power at all times.

Our other trailer is at a campground and plugged in, when they shut the power off for the winter, we pull the battery and bring it home to hook it up to a maintenance charger for the next 5-6 months. Then back out to the trailer when power is back on.
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
If it is an Interstate battery you may be able to get it replaced if it is within a year since it was purchased. Tell them it doesn't hold a charge.

I recommend installing a battery disconnect switch..

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
My battery went dead between trips though I used lights in it very little and nothing else was running. The service man at Burton Campers in Calera, Alabama, said that most all batteries would run down over time if not disconnected. Like you suggested, I would like to get a disconnect switch installed, but will disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery do the same thing? Is this a stupid question?
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:06 AM   #16

Winter Battery Storage

I leave my trailer plugged in 24/7 when at home and all winter. I've never taken the battery out. This is my third season with it and the battery has been working great and I do lots of boondocking. I'm in northern Ontario, Canada and temps get down to the minus 40's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
will disconnecting the neg terminal on the battery do the same thing? Is this a stupid question?
Not a stupid question and yes it will accomplish the same thing. Just make sure it doesn't ground to anything else. Installing a battery disconnect is an easy task and turning a switch is a lot easier than disconnecting the neg terminal every time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	30705
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #18
Site Team

We have no stupid questions... just a need for information.

Here is how easy you can add your own battery cut off switch.

1. Order/get the parts needed on Amazon or Automotive parts store.
(Prices vary on the switch you select, just make sure it is an enclosed case)
2. Pull the 30 amp main fuse on the (+) POSITIVE battery cable.
3. Disconnect the ground cable from the frame bolt (other end is connected to the negative battery terminal)
4. Sand the frame around the bolt hole to insure a good connection
5. Connect the short (BLACK) cable you purchased to the ground bolt and tighten back to the frame.
6. Connect the other end of the short cable to the end closest to the ground bolt in the Disconnect Switch
7. Connect the cable you just removed from the bolt to the new Marine Battery disconnect Switch.
8. Mount the Marine Disconnect switch to the frame
9. Install the 30Amp main fuse
10. Turn on the TT interior lights and hit the switch, if all works as planned continue to item #11, else (put the fuse in)
11. OK, now you can open that beer and admire a "JOB WELL DONE

This project should take you about 30 minutes.... an easy job!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
BATTERY - Marine Battery cut off switch.jpg   BATTERY - Short 2AWG Battery cable for cutoff switch.jpg  
Old 04-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
We have no stupid questions... just a need for information.

Here is how easy you can add your own battery cut off switch.

1. Order/get the parts needed on Amazon or Automotive parts store.
(Prices vary on the switch you select, just make sure it is an enclosed case)
2. Pull the 30 amp main fuse on the (+) POSITIVE battery cable.
3. Disconnect the ground cable from the frame bolt (other end is connected to the negative battery terminal)
4. Sand the frame around the bolt hole to insure a good connection
5. Connect the short (BLACK) cable you purchased to the ground bolt and tighten back to the frame.
6. Connect the other end of the short cable to the end closest to the ground bolt in the Disconnect Switch
7. Connect the cable you just removed from the bolt to the new Marine Battery disconnect Switch.
8. Mount the Marine Disconnect switch to the frame
9. Install the 30Amp main fuse
10. Turn on the TT interior lights and hit the switch, if all works as planned continue to item #11, else (put the fuse in)
11. OK, now you can open that beer and admire a "JOB WELL DONE

This project should take you about 30 minutes.... an easy job!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thanks. will do this
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #20

Quote:
I have an old battery box that I put in the basement and put the battery on a Deltran battery tender.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote