Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #1

Winter camping

We live in Florida and frequently visit family in NJ and NY. This year for Christmas we are planning on taking our trailer instead of using hotels. Campground in NY has heated hydrants and is open all year. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. We have a 2021 jayfeather 25rb
Travelling Finnegans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #2
CAG

With the search feature at the top of the page, and "cold weather camping" you should find a number of discussions.

Bottom line is if you do not have an enclosed, heater underbelly and temps get into the mid 20s and down, you are going to have freezing water lines. There are some methods to help prevent that including filling your water tank and using that but again if the lines under the unit are exposed, it take a major effort to avoid freeze.

We often camped at 8000+elevation with a heated under belly and still had issues at times. If you do have heat you will need to keep the propane heat going to keep heat to the underbelly.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-80818.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-73699.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Wsw

You need to make sure where all your water lines are. What is in heated underbelly. What is not. Put a shut off valve and drain on any line not in the underbelly. Everything in our 2021 334rlok fridge slide out would freeze solid no matter what I do, so I put a drain and shutoff in the heated part.

Short answer. To late. Know where every water and drain line. Get heat on every one.

Get a heated water line. They work great if hydrant does not freeze. I also put a small electric heater in my bay where water comes in. I also put an electric heater in my underbelly as well. I got the remote temp sensors to keep track of temps anywhere I though would be an issue.

I have spent nights at 0 with no issue. Just know where your water lines are and how to keep them warm. I also cut a 2 inch hole in the bottom of every heat vent to add more hot air to under belly. Uses propane for sure but does not freeze.

Oh I also teed into propane line and added regulator to use 20 pound propane tanks as well. New trailers probably already have an accessory line installed. Just get a regulator. 20 lb tank. Quick connect and you should be good.
Wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #4