Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #1

winter camping

I have a Jayflight 29QBH i keep on my recreational property. This trailer is new to me but I am wondering about winter camping. I plan to blow out my water system for winter storage, but If I decide to go use it I am not sure if I have to worry about things freezing while in use.

Example - I will have hot water tank on so that covers the hot water line and hot water tank. But will the cold water line inside / under the trailer be ok with just keeping the trailer warm with heater inside? Underbelly is completed enclosed, not sure if that means it's a winter package or not.
I will keep some anti-freeze in both my grey / black holding tanks to keep any water in them from freezing.

I am thinking about getting a heater pipe cable and installing on my well water line and wrapping that with pipe foam. My hookup is a yard hydrant and I will have pipe coming out of ground covered with pipe insulation and the whole thing covered with an insulated water proof cover.

After each use I will put TT back into storage mode by drain hot water tank and blow out water system and empty black/grey holding tanks, and putting anti-freeze in all drains and holding tanks.

If I do all these things should I have to worry about freezing water lines inside or out?
Thank you for your thoughts / advise
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #2

How cold does it get at your place? People live in some of these things year round. Some models are easier/better than others.

I can think of a million reasons to go simple and not connect water to the TT during the winter. TTs are not well insulated, most of your piping runs inside the TT, in, under, behind cabinets and walls. Some spots can get really cold quickly. Surprisingly cold, even with the furnace running! I would be concerned with wall cavities that have no access to providing any supplemental heat. We typically are out in the low 20's with no issues, and just keep the cabinet doors ajar that have plumbing running through them. But at at the high teens and cooler, that might not be enough. Fixing broken fittings in a back corner will be a pain. Also think about your outside shower, you may want to disconnect the pipes inside the TT, as the plastic cover provides no cold weather protection.

Regarding your water hydrant. Is it one of the frost proof styles, that has the shut off valve 6-10 feet below grade? These are designed to drain the vertical pipe every time they are shut off. If you do not protect this vertical underground pipe, it too will freeze, and burst. So just heating the part of the pipe that is above ground may not be enough, unless you have a extremely shallow frost line. You may need to heat the pipe from the frost line and up. Here in Minnesota, we run our underground water pipes below 80" as this is our average frost line, but Minnesota is a very cold state. Your location may be tropical in comparison.

Are you planning to move this TT ever? If not, I would recommend adding some kind of quality skirting around the base of the TT. Even a simple vinyl skirting will help alot. With a skirt, and a couple of incandescent light bulbs underneath will provide a lot of heat to the underside. The floors will be more comfortable, and will help protect the plumbing too.

Personally, I would not use the plumbing system. I would bring jugs of water, heat up what you need on the stove. Using the tanks, maybe, But this would be a good time to invest in some good tank heaters, and wrap the sewer drain with heat tape. A coworker of mine travels to and from Florida in his MH in the winter. Up here in the cold weather he flushes the toilet with windshield fluid, and dumps when he finds warm weather. Washes their hands, dishes, etc. with a dishpan to catch the water. If possible, the water is dumped outside, and not into a tank.

Good Luck, make sure you understand your climate and hardware.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter camping