Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #1

Winter Storage

We have a new to us 2012 Jay Feather 29L Select. When we purchased it the guy always had it covered and included the cover in the purchase. Living in New England, I am wondering what your thoughts are about whether it's fine to keep it at our house with the cover on it for the winter or if I need to find a place with a roof to store it. There is a place a few miles down the road that I can keep it for $450 for the winter in an enclosed area with security systems. I am mostly concerned about snow load on the roof. Thoughts?

flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Have covered mine with an Adco for 3 years and counting, and for at least 1 of those 3 years I am pretty sure I got more snow than you did No issue with snow load or anything, these campers can hold quite a bit on the roof and so I've never gone and shoveled anything off the roof at any point.

EDIT: That said, inside storage is better more or less by definition.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #3

My new 2016 will be stored down the Cape with no cover. I'm a little skeptical as to what effect a cover may have on the edges of the rubber roof.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #4

We keep ours in our driveway, uncovered.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Where we live is in a bit of a wind tunnel, which would certainly give the cover ample opportunity to wear away whatever it is in contact with. The flip side to that is unless the snow becomes drifted, it will likely be blown off. While storing inside would be ideal, the thought of spending $450 is a tough pill to swallow.
flintsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Lots of people leave them out all year. I store mine in a farmers barn, about 100 miles from my house. $80 all winter.

I believe keeping it in a building in the winter just extends it's life, reduces the amount of maintenance.

The roof is designed to handle the weight, with reason.

If you decide to remove some of the snow load, be careful as the roofing membrane tears really easily.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

Either garage it or cover it.

Your choice: the wear and tear of a New England winter on your expensive RV or on a cover that'll be replaced every 2 years.

I keep my TT covered from late October until almost May (any possibility of water-system destroying frost).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
My new 2016 will be stored down the Cape with no cover. I'm a little skeptical as to what effect a cover may have on the edges of the rubber roof.
I happen to live just off the Cape. No effect if you can manage to park out of the wind. Most if not all stories I've read about covers failing prematurely are due to strong or gusty winds.

The Adco one I had on my last camper fit very snugly and had straps in front, back, and that ran underneath the camper. I am lucky in that I have tons of trees around so no direct wind really (as compared to, say, parking in a field). And like most I use tennis balls on the corner downspouts, which is the main spot you'd expect a cover to tear.

Net net...you would be hard pressed to point out any spot on the camper or the roof where you could say "oh look what the cover did" after 3 consecutive years with the same cover (and it's in good enough shape for a 4th)

Such is my experience anyway. I spend a lot of time cleaning and maintaining the roof and will take whatever additional protection I can get over the winter (I don't have the option of constructing any sort of permanent storage)

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

here in Maine none of the dealers cover any of their units till there is about three feet of snow on the roof
so a good ladder and crampons for the ladder ( dont go on the roof with them) is handy. If you rake the roof..gentle and not with a metal bladed roof rake.

I have plenty of neighbors with tts and no cover. One did build a roof high up supported by the corners with trusses and open walls. The rood slant was about 8 on 12 and metal

Both well used. Now up to 170 nights camping and 40,000 miles on the TT since purchase.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #10

I'm exploring options for inside storage now. If I have to keep her outside she will be covered for sure...

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote