Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Thumbs up Winter storage

Well fall is here and its time for this Jayco owners to put our coaches up for the long winter nap. Being in central Wisconsin I started to search for reasonable priced inside storage about mid-summer. It was just a fluke that I mentioned what I was looking for to a purchasing agent at one of our accounts. She mentioned that she keeps her travel trailer at a facility that turned out to be just two miles around the corner from where we live. After leaving the agent I immediately called the owner of the storage facility to see if he had any room this coming winter. Today was my lucky day as the guy told me he just had a cancellation and could fit my unit in with no problem. I was concerned about the price and was floored when he told me he gets $10 a foot for the winter. Having a unit with a total length of 30 feet that meant it would only cost me $300 to have my unit in covered storage for the winter. I felt like I won the Lotto. So, this past weekend we pulled the trailer around the corner to his sheds, paid him the $300, and said goodbye and goodnight to our coach till next spring.
I love stories with a happy ending...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #2

That is a fantastic price for inside storage!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #3

Hate to tell you, I pay 90 bucks, for indoor storage. I pick the day it goes in and out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMroz View Post
Well fall is here and its time for this Jayco owners to put our coaches up for the long winter nap. Being in central Wisconsin I started to search for reasonable priced inside storage about mid-summer. It was just a fluke that I mentioned what I was looking for to a purchasing agent at one of our accounts. She mentioned that she keeps her travel trailer at a facility that turned out to be just two miles around the corner from where we live. After leaving the agent I immediately called the owner of the storage facility to see if he had any room this coming winter. Today was my lucky day as the guy told me he just had a cancellation and could fit my unit in with no problem. I was concerned about the price and was floored when he told me he gets $10 a foot for the winter. Having a unit with a total length of 30 feet that meant it would only cost me $300 to have my unit in covered storage for the winter. I felt like I won the Lotto. So, this past weekend we pulled the trailer around the corner to his sheds, paid him the $300, and said goodbye and goodnight to our coach till next spring.
I love stories with a happy ending...
Great price for indoor storage. I am paying $17 a foot and was lucky to get a spot! Going in tomorrow
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #5

The idea is appealing but so long as the city allows me to park in my driveway that is where I will keep it. Neighbors don't complain thankfully. Your rates are attractive for sure.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #6

Yeah but that's there and I'm here and $300 is a fantastic price for central Wisconsin.
Mosinee, WI.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #7

I'm curious of what constitutes "winter." In other words, when do you have to take it out?
Also, does inside mean a garage with a door that can be locked, etc.?

I pay $65/mo for "covered" storage that is open on the front and I share with six or eight other campers. It's part of a self storage facility with fence and gate around the lot.

TIA

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #8

Here in the Columbia Gorge I was lucky to find a storage spot. It is covered (outdoor with a roof and 3/4 rear wall) for $125 a month. Outdoor spaces are $60. But with our lovely freezing rain in the winter I'll be thankfull.....

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #9

Winter Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I'm curious of what constitutes "winter." In other words, when do you have to take it out?
Also, does inside mean a garage with a door that can be locked, etc.?

I pay $65/mo for "covered" storage that is open on the front and I share with six or eight other campers. It's part of a self storage facility with fence and gate around the lot.

TIA
My storage is in a large building with garage doors that lock. There is room for another motorhome and about 10 boats. The "winter" season is from mid October to mid April, about 6 months. The owner is flexible though about in & out so if we have a mild early spring we are able to get to it. We are taking it in today
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Our coach is a '02 which we purchased used last spring. Its spent its entire life out in the brutal Wisconsin winters so last winter I just parked it next to our garage on a couple long pieces of plywood to keep the tires off the ground. I covered the tires and air conditioner and front end so nothing would rust. We placed about 100 dryer sheets in the coach to hopefully stop any mice from getting and staying in. Unfortunately they didn't work. We had mouse crap everywhere but thankfully nothing seemed to have been chewed up. That's the main reason we wanted storage in a large building. The building owner places 17 of those metal one-way mouse traps all around the inside the building just in case. He told us he catches a few mice in the traps but no one has ever mentioned having mice inside their stored campers. Hopefully that trend will continue...
Mosinee, WI.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #11

I say congrats on the Lottery win!!!

I pay $60/month for outdoor storage and that is market value around here. My place is at least on gravel and has a card access gate 24 hours a day. Many people pay the similar prices to park in a farmers field around here with strict access restrictions.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 AM   #12

I was also looking for a storage unit in Toronto since the winter is here. And luckily, I found a place that is totally reliable, and easily accessible. The security is also pretty good there. It is located at the junction of 400 and 401. I checked it personally. And I was impressed with the facilities they had to offer. The storage space was also pretty good and they have extra high ceilings. And for them who don't need those extra high ceilings, they have mini storage options too, which was like 5 feet tall. The pricing is also cheap and varies according to the facility and space we choose.
The flexible leasing policy is another advantage to add to it.
richbanks123 is offline   Reply With Quote