Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #1

Winter use for new Whitehawk owner

Just bought a 2020 Jayco Whitehawk with the Climate Shield and curious about leaving the unit unattended for two weeks at a time. If I close bypass valves for water heater and leave that on 110 A/C to keep from freezing, then use a ceramic heater to keep the kitchen and bath above freezing, do I really need “winterize” every time I leave or just turn the water off?
Sray330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:41 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum, it all depends on where you live.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

Your furnace blows heat into the underbelly which keeps water lines and tanks from freezing.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #4

As Big 1 said, it really depends on where you live. Also, consider how stable the infrastructure is. How often does power go out?
Will you be disconnecting and draining the hose for the water? Many other variables to think about.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
CAG

I am assuming from your title that you are in MO. If that is correct it can, and will get cold enough to freeze water line even if your heater is running at 70F or above, and at that temp you will run out of propane in short order also. Heat to the underbelly helps but if it gets 0 or below your lines will freeze.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Welcome aboard. As others said a lot depends on where you live. If your in a cold environment, I would at minimum, would blow the lines out and add RV antifreeze (eatable) to the traps.

Running electric heat is expensive, and does not bring any heat to the underbelly, where your tanks are located. The Propane furnace will distribute heat to the underbelly if you have a heated underbelly. But you may consume a tank of gas in a few days (temperature dependent). Around these parts, it costs $13 to fill a 20# tank. RV antifreeze costs a couple $ per gallon. But you need to flush the lines before using them. Hence, Compressed air might be a good alternative. Just make sure you get all the water out, as water can accumulate in low areas, and bust a fitting. And P-traps always have a lot of water in them, so they need to be diluted with antifreeze.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the input. I am not using my holding tanks, on city water for input and drain holding tanks before I leave, so not so worried about the enclosed underbelly unless someone tells me different. I drain all water lines and blew them out this past weekend when we left, bypassed the water heater and drained it. Not that complicated for me but my wife intends to use it with girlfriends once in a while and trying to simplify for her. That said, when we leave, I am hoping to drain all lines and holding tanks, bypass the water heater and leave it full with electric heat turned on for it, pour a little RV antifreeze in the drains and keep it simple for her.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #8

Yes, disconnecting water line, draining all internal water lines and holding tanks. Just wondering if we can bypass the water heater, leave it full and on electric heat? We will leave a ceramic heater on while away as well, just in case.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sray330 View Post
Yes, disconnecting water line, draining all internal water lines and holding tanks. Just wondering if we can bypass the water heater, leave it full and on electric heat? We will leave a ceramic heater on while away as well, just in case.
Sray, referring back to my earlier reply on this. Initial thoughts tell us, leaving the water heater tank full and on electric heat will keep it from freezing and all should be fine. However, that being said, how stable is the power grid infrastructure there? Does the power go out often? if it does, how long does it stay off? Is there a chance of tripping a circuit between the using the electric element of the water heater and the ceramic heater inside? Something to think about. If the power goes out for whatever reason for several hours and comes back on, there would be no problem. But, if the power goes out and a breaker is tripped for what ever reason, you could have your rig without power for several days or longer, and that would be a problem.

From what you are describing; your wife will have to unbypass the water heater if she and her friends come to use it. Which means she will have to blow out the lines and bypass it when she and her friends are done anyway. So the extra time and steps to allow the water heater to fill and heat up....?!?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote