Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Winterize Whirlpool residential refrig.

Anyone have good directions on how to winterize these residential refrigerators?

Don't really want to run antifreeze through the water filter..

Thanks!
makingmagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

I don't know if Jayco does it or the dealer does it, but our Bungalow was winterized while it was on the lot. The water line to the fridge was winterized. Our fridge only has an ice maker. After making a few batches of ice, the anti-freeze was gone and there was no anti-freeze taste. The dealer made the pink ice cubes to get the anti-freeze out. I just made 24 hours of ice and then dumped it. After that, no problems with the ice.

When I winterized when packing up for the season, I put anti-freeze in the water line to the fridge. During the PDI, the dealer told us the fridge had a solenoid down at the bottom of the fridge that we could jumper to force the fridge to call for water. I couldn't find that solenoid and the owners manual for our fridge didn't make any mention of how to winterize.

In my search for how to do it, I did find that other manufacturers (ours is a GE) have switches on the ice maker (under the front cap) that forces the ice maker to call for water. If your refrigerator has such a switch, I imagine if you pressurize the water line with air and hit that switch a few times, it would push the water out. Do it a few times and it would probably blowout most of the water.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #3

Our Jayco Pinnacle (2017) handbook specifically says NOT to put antifreeze in the refrigerator/ice maker.
montana800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:25 AM   #4

From Whirlpool

Winterizing the Refrigerator How to Winterize Your Whirlpool Refrigerator You should winterize your refrigerator if you plan on leaving your residence empty during the winter months. This process requires all water be purged from the water system. Failure to purge all the water from the system could result in severe damage to your Refrigerator.

How to winterize Refrigerator with an Ice maker and or Water Dispenser

1. Turn off the water supply to the refrigerator
2. Remove and discard the Water Filter (on some models)
3. Using a large pitcher or container, engage the water dispenser for several minutes to purge the water line.
4. Remove and discard all the ice from the ice bin. Keep the ice maker turned on for 24 hours. This allows enough time for the ice maker to complete any harvest cycles and use up any remaining water that might be in the water line. You might hear a buzzing sound during this time.
5. Disconnect the water supply line that is connected to the back of the refrigerator. 1. TIP: Have a bucket or container ready, as some remaining water might continue to drain from the water line.
6. Remove all food and beverages
7. Thoroughly wipe down the entire inside of the refrigerator and freezer sections. This includes all bins, drawers, shelves and walls.
8. Completely dry all surfaces
9. Remove any remaining ice cubes from the ice bucket, turn the ice maker to the "OFF" position
10. Unplug the Refrigerator
11. Leave doors open to help with air circulation.
Sparky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I don't know if Jayco does it or the dealer does it, but our Bungalow was winterized while it was on the lot. The water line to the fridge was winterized. Our fridge only has an ice maker. After making a few batches of ice, the anti-freeze was gone and there was no anti-freeze taste. The dealer made the pink ice cubes to get the anti-freeze out. I just made 24 hours of ice and then dumped it. After that, no problems with the ice.

When I winterized when packing up for the season, I put anti-freeze in the water line to the fridge. During the PDI, the dealer told us the fridge had a solenoid down at the bottom of the fridge that we could jumper to force the fridge to call for water. I couldn't find that solenoid and the owners manual for our fridge didn't make any mention of how to winterize.

In my search for how to do it, I did find that other manufacturers (ours is a GE) have switches on the ice maker (under the front cap) that forces the ice maker to call for water. If your refrigerator has such a switch, I imagine if you pressurize the water line with air and hit that switch a few times, it would push the water out. Do it a few times and it would probably blowout most of the water.

-Michael
We have a GE also.. I saw the 'jumper' videos, but couldn't figure it out on the GE. Like yours, we have no filter or water in the door. Just the ice maker.
I run antifreeze until the I get pink slush cubes. We also run about 24/48 hours of cubes when opening in the spring. Never had a funny smell or taste. I have done this 3 years in a row. No problems.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana800 View Post
Our Jayco Pinnacle (2017) handbook specifically says NOT to put antifreeze in the refrigerator/ice maker.
Most likely because of a filter that may be present.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:26 AM   #7

In the Precept I cannot get to the back of the refrigerator to disconnect water supply line. There is a vented panel in the cabinetry below the refrigerator. I have not removed it yet but dealer said water shutoff was there. Once shutoff we were to remove water filter....and run water dispenser until no water comes out. Empty ice bin ….not sure if I was to shut off icemaker but I did that already...
redfernj is offline   Reply With Quote