Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Winterizing?????

Now that the cold weather is coming (eventually anyway), I have a few questions regarding winterizing. My camper is a 2011 Jay Flight 26BH. There are a couple of drains on the driver side where the two freshwater tanks are. Do these only drain the freshwater tanks or are they the low point drains for the plumbing system? On the side of the camper it has low point drain labels for them. But if they are low point drains, how do you drain the freshwater tanks?

Needless to say I am a little lost here. I want to be able to blow my lines out with air so I don't have to use so much antifreeze (only the P traps). Or should I just use antifreeze in the lines always (by using the pump)?

Anyone got some pointers for me on the best way to help a newbie winterize?

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!! This forum has been most helpful.

Brent
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

He Brent - glad to help - I have the same trailer (2009) so only 1 freshwater tank - but should be similar.

On the drivers side is the low point drains for the fresh water tanks only. I usually open mine for a while and let it all drain out, then close it so bugs dont crawl up there. Next I run my pump for a while and get as much water out as I can from the suction line, etc.

Next I pull the hot water heater plug and let it drain, but do not turn the bypass yet. I attach my air hose to the city inlet and set it on about 35-40 lbs. The air will then go into the water heater and blow even more water and junk out the drain hole. Now I set it in bypass mode. Next one at a time I turn on the inside shower, outside shower, sink, kitchen and blow most of the water of of them. I also pop each low point drain for a second which are located under the rear bunk - center rear of the trailer on mine.

Next I pull all the air line off the city connection and fill the system full of anti-freeze by turning on everything again one at a time - takes just over a gallon using this method. I also pop the low points for a second to put some down those lines.

Why do I use the air AND anti-freeze method? (Because I am anal!) ok - there are a few other reasons. I started with the air only method, but found small pockets of water still existed around the pump, water heater, low points, etc. Probably would have been ok - but for a couple of dollars worth of antifreeze I feel much more confident I am protected.

Why not antifreeze only? Well that works just fine, but it seems to takes quite a bit more antifreeze, plus I like to blow out those lines that go into the water heater.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
snip......Next I pull all the air lines and fill it full of anti-freeze by turning on everything again one at a time - takes just over a gallon using this method.....snip
Terry,

May just be the terminology, but what do you mean by "pull all the air lines"? Of course I haven't had a cup of coffee yet today so that may be the problem

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

My fingers were going faster than my brain...happens all the time....I think I restated it better....what I meant was pulling the air line off the city connection.

And you were thinking I added some kind of super mod to that thing!

I really need to just take a few videos of winterizing and post them here and get someone to do the same on a 5er. That is a pretty common question and seems fairly complicated - but actually really easy.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #5

Don't forget to pour some antifreeze down the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and tub traps too.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.....And you were thinking I added some kind of super mod to that thing!........snip
With all the mods going on around here, one never knows!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #7

Good explanation Terry.

When I had to winterize I would drain everything, bypass the heater, pour two gallons in the tank and run the pump going from the farthest to the closest faucet.

Before we left home I helped my son winterize his new Caliber and it had 5 valves to turn plus the drain valves. I never saw so many valves on a trailer before.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #8

Try searching Youtube, there are many videos on winterizing your camper. I find visual instructions work better for me than the ones written down. There is a guy on youtube who shows you how to winterize a Jay Flight.
jrusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
Don't forget to pour some antifreeze down the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and tub traps too.
Good point! Forgot to mention that. Isnt it easier to do than explain?

Actually the idea is if you run the lines and let anti-freeze come out - just make sure you let a little extra come out to fill up the traps. You dont have to worry about getting both sides of most kitchen sinks because they share a trap (but verify). Also dont forget to poor a little in the toilet.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #10

I learned this the hard way... After you have antifreeze in all the lines, you need to release the pressure in city hookup to get final water out. Before you push the button make sure you have a faucet open, or else you'll be wearing half gallon and have to replace the inlet valve!!!
heppdj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the replies. This will help me a lot. As for looking on youtube, don't know why I never thought of that. Everything is on youtube!

Thanks again everyone!!!
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
OkieCamperFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I also give my black tank rinser a "little" shot of air from the connection point as well....., I can hear water moving out of the line when I do it.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Just the remote thought of having to winterize is depressing. Not the process, but the end result of no more camping til Spring. Usually late December for me..................
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Just the remote thought of having to winterize is depressing. Not the process, but the end result of no more camping til Spring. Usually late December for me..................
You got that right! Headed out for one more week on Oct 16th...cant wait! But the thought of winterizing after I get back depresses me...I am going to try to do at least a winter camp or two! I have the winterize down - so why not! $5 worth of anti-freeze is well worth a long weekend!

Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
You got that right! Headed out for one more week on Oct 16th...cant wait! But the thought of winterizing after I get back depresses me...I am going to try to do at least a winter camp or two! I have the winterize down - so why not! $5 worth of anti-freeze is well worth a long weekend!
I wanted to do a Winter campout last year but never got the right combination of weather and clear schedule to do it. You are right, its not that big of a deal to dewinterize and rewinterize if you wish to. You can even camp in a winterized trailer, just no water of course. (Hey we camp in tents in Winter in the Scouts, no running water or toilets)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #16

Ditto all the valves, Clutch. We've got the three at the wh, two more a foot away, two low point drains on the left side and two more on the right. I can't believe I didn't diagram them in their proper positions for use next spring. I monkeyed with the extra two under the sink and now don't know which way they belong. Also, one set of low point drains just travel in a circle, so I'll have to look for drips from them when we dewinterize. You'd think that Jayco could spend the nickle or dime it would cost to mark them with a simple "W" in the Winterize positions. I spent way more time positioning valves than actually winterizing @
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #17

I just don't understand why they need so many valves. Our old Prowler had the low point drains one for hot one for cold and one for the water tank. Just one valve took care of the hot water bypass. It is no wonder the new trailers cost so much with all the added valves.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote