Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2018, 08:06 AM   #21

I've always used air rather than pink in the lines and never a problem and it gets pretty cold here (frozen is frozen, colder doesn't change it). When we got our fiver used it had pink in the lines and it took forever to get it out. I blow air and let it just keep flowing as it picks up water with the volume of air and takes it out the drains/taps.

Each owner should do what they're comfortable with though
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
If you do it that way, isn’t there plumbing between the water tank and the pump with a check valve (somewhere) that would keep water in the line?
Water between tank and pump drops back to tank. From check valve in pump to plumbing get AF.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Water between tank and pump drops back to tank. From check valve in pump to plumbing get AF.
Gotcha. Thanks. I worried about possible water remaining in the line. That is why I pumped all of the pink stuff from the FW tank.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #24

I undo the connections to the pump (hand tightened) and hit them with the air nozzle. I have to get into the area anyway as that's where my system filter is and it needs to be emptied.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #25

Quote:
I guess I have been doing it wrong since I got the trailer. I would think the air is to blow water out of the "city water" portion so that it gets by the check valve. I have drained out all the water, bypassed the HW tank, and dumped 2 gallons of the pink stuff into the fresh water tank and ran the stuff through all if the valves, including the toilet. My tank is pretty small, so 2 gallons seems to work. We have miserably cold winters here and I have not had issues. Have I just been lucky?
Skids,
You pretty much do what I do here in Pennsylvania.

Make sure you pull out the city water intake check valve to let air go thru the lines while you are draining them.

Drain the lines, use the air compressor to blow out all the lines, then use the water pump to pump antifreeze thru the lines. I run a little pink antifreeze thru the hot water heater lines before I by-pass the water heater. I also loosen the drain plug to the hot water heater.

Have never had any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #26

Quote:
I guess I have been doing it wrong since I got the trailer. I would think the air is to blow water out of the "city water" portion so that it gets by the check valve. I have drained out all the water, bypassed the HW tank, and dumped 2 gallons of the pink stuff into the fresh water tank and ran the stuff through all if the valves, including the toilet. My tank is pretty small, so 2 gallons seems to work. We have miserably cold winters here and I have not had issues. Have I just been lucky?
The air will clear the whole water supply system.

It's pretty much one or the other. Either pump pink through the lines to replace the water or blow air to get rid of the water. Personally I don't like antifreeze in my water, potable or not, so I use air.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #27

Quote:
I do the same thing...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
The air will clear the whole water supply system.

It's pretty much one or the other. Either pump pink through the lines to replace the water or blow air to get rid of the water. Personally I don't like antifreeze in my water, potable or not, so I use air.
Except that it's difficult to determine with absolute certainty that ALL water has been blown out of the lines. That's the experience I've had, and others have had similar.

If I were in an area where I had significant freeze risk, I would absolutely blow the lines and then fill them with AF. Belt & suspenders...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #29

Keep in mind... Running air thru the lines is good.... EXCEPT... It don't clear the water out of the p-traps! I POUR PINK ANTIFREEZE DOWN INTO THEM.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #30

One more time from me. I have used the air method for 11 or more [I forget] years and the only problem I have had is when I forgot to do something. I cracked the handheld part of the outside shower because I forgot to blow out that line. Now I remove all hand held hoses and open the valve and let the line drain. I also cracked the front of the water pump because I did not run it dry after draining the fresh tank. Easy
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Except that it's difficult to determine with absolute certainty that ALL water has been blown out of the lines. That's the experience I've had, and others have had similar.

If I were in an area where I had significant freeze risk, I would absolutely blow the lines and then fill them with AF. Belt & suspenders...
I do live in an area with significant freezing and I blow out the lines without issue. Don't need to get every bit of water out, it just needs to have room to expand when it does freeze.

As I said, I don't want it in my water. Don't like the taste it imparts. Twenty years from now we'll probably find out it kills you or something
Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I do live in an area with significant freezing and I blow out the lines without issue. Don't need to get every bit of water out, it just needs to have room to expand when it does freeze.

As I said, I don't want it in my water. Don't like the taste it imparts. Twenty years from now we'll probably find out it kills you or something
Right?!

I really don't like AF in my lines either, even though we don't drink that water on the regular. When I end up using AF in my lines, I'm just sure to do a good sanitation and rinse when it comes time to de-winterize.

It just never seemed like I could get the lines dry enough for my comfort in my unit. That may have been specific to my unit? It was a LONG trailer and had some LONG pipe runs. I dunno. I typically didn't worry about it too much because like you said, you don't need to get it ALL out, you just need it not to have enough to expand inside a fitting. And like I said before, our freeze risk is very low here.

FWIW, I froze up a few pipes in my unit once, and did not have a leak. It was a stupid move and I should've been more careful. My son and I were using my TT at deer camp, and when the morning came around, the water in front of the pump was frozen (at least), but it warmed up and started moving again quickly. My dad cracked his outside shower that same season.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #33

Noticed that the op's original instructions did not mention draining the fresh water tank. If you didn't know to do that first, it would take more than 15-20 seconds to run the pump dry. In my case, I would be draining about 30 gallons of water.
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #34

Just did my winterizing today. We don't head south until after cold weather so I have to winterize.

Blew out the lines and pink'd the traps and waste tanks. I open all the low point and fresh tank drains, bypass the wtr htr then go get a beer. Then I close those and my wife opens taps one at a time starting with the highest one (shower) and ending in the kitchen, after it's just air then close it and move to the next. Then I open the drain on the wtr htr and put it back to normal mode and blow until nothing comes out but a bit of light spray (can put your thumb over the drain and let it build a bit of pressure then release quickly), then I open all the low drains again and blow more. Pretty much gets it all. Last trailer got cold enough to crack the vinyl floor one winter but the pipes were fine.

Don't forget the water filter if there's a whole house unit.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #35

Here are my notes that Inuse each year before cold weather:

Winterize RV

Get three gallons of RV antifreeze (takes 2 1/2).

Drain fresh water tanks (valves under RV to the left when facing door from outside).

Remove water heater drain plug.

Open all faucets: kitchen, tub, bathroom
Outside Shower faucets

Open two drains under bunk bed close to floor (pull up).
Press toilet peddle.

When all water stops dripping continue.

Close all faucets including outside shower.

Close two drains under bunk bed (push down).

Close the two valves by water heater under bunk (input and output). Turn clockwise.

Open valve to bypass water heater. Under bunk close to above valves and between hot an cold water pipes.

Connect compressor to outside water connection (adaptor is in hose container in trunk) and set pressure to 40 lbs.

Open each faucet one by one to blow out water.

Repeat above step after compressor recovers pressure.

Turn on RV water pump and open cold water spigot in kitchen sink to get water out of pump line.

Close faucet and turn pump off.

Close valve coming from fresh water tanks under sink. On top of pump.

Open valve to antifreeze tube and place tube in gallon of antifreeze.

Turn pump on.

Open each spigot until you see antifreeze come out (watch level in gallon of antifreeze and swap when needed).

Run antifreeze thru shower head.

Do same to outside shower.

Press peddle on toilet until antifreeze appears.

Open water heater input valve to get antifreeze in water heater

Turn off pump and carefully remove tube from antifreeze.

Pour antifreeze into drains in kitchen, tub, bath sink.

Pour fair amount in toilet the flush.

Cover "lift" holes in lower bunk bed and dinette seats (four) so mice cannot get trapped under seats.

Unplug appliances and bunk clock.

Remove batteries from remotes.

Drain gray water tank.

Check water in batteries
Gwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #36

I'm reading that some open all faucets and blow out and some open faucets one by one. Is one method better than the other?
bobm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #37

One of the advantages of living in Florida. Never did any of this
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post
I'm reading that some open all faucets and blow out and some open faucets one by one. Is one method better than the other?
I like to do one by one, so that each line gets the full force of the air through it to remove the most water and residual moisture.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #39

1. Drain HWH,(which I do after every trip anyway) 2. Set by pass valves to "bypass". 3 Disconnect shower hoses 4.Open AF hose valve on pump.4 Put AF hose into AF jug. 5. Have DW turn on pump and open each faucet & flush valve, one at a time until they all show pink .6. Add to p-traps & a little to tanks. ps we always use city connection for water so no tank to drain.
Ford ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm View Post
My air compressor is a low volume one so I open one faucet at a time to get good air flow through each one.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote