Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Winterizing Checklist

Hey...

So, I am a new 2017 Jayco 32BHDS owner and never winterized a trailer before. We seasonally dock in the Catskills, NY, so we expect some harsh winters and lots of snow.

Here is my checklist of things to do:

- Anti Freeze all Pipes, Hoses, Tanks, Faucets, toilet, etc (I get this part)
- Tire Covers
- Outer Cover
- Remove all food and clothing, etc.
- Probably removing literally almost everything, pots and pans, silverware, etc.
- Putting mattresses in plastic storage covers
- Taking Battery Home

This is what I can't decide on to deal with mice:

- Been told to put dryer sheets around the trailer
- Been told to put mint drop around the trailer
- Been told to human hair around the trailer
- Been told to put mouse traps to poison around the trailer (but I feel like this would attract them, no?)

My trailer is very new and has underlining. Should help with Mice, but obviously nothing is 100 percent.

Also, I can't decide if I should add plastic wrap to my trailer. I was thinking of using like pallet wrap, then adding the cover.

Tips and advice helpful and appreciated!

Mike
CAMPERMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #2

[QUOTE=CAMPERMIKE;567516]

My trailer is very new and has underlining. Should help with Mice, but obviously nothing is 100 percent.

QUOTE]

They will get in with a sealed underbelly or not. We do what you mentioned with the dryer sheets, we also scatter moth ball packets under the rig near areas where they climb up (jack stands, wheels). We never used hair, poison or traps simply because our invasions have been minimal. We also stand the sofa/chair cushions up on their edges. (read that somewhere) Come spring we found a few droppings here and there but no damage. Some folks use a predator urine spray such as fox or bobcat (available on amazon) around the area. You can also check the underbelly enclosure for gaps and fill with a spray foam.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM   #3

We are are Upstate NY'ers and seasonals as well. And yes, we have the insulated underbelly too Mice will find a way in if they want to. We basically empty the rig of all food, linens, toiletries, etc. Mattress does not get any special treatment such as bagging. I blow out all of the lines and anti-freeze traps etc afterwards. Moth balls all underneath the trailer and dryer sheets everywhere throughout the inside (and I do mean everywhere). I easily go through an entire box of 50 sheets each season and don't feel the list bit bad about it. Zero mice problems in 6 years among 2 different TT's. Remember to winterize the outdoor shower. I forgot....2 years in a row. Doh!

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPERMIKE View Post
- Remove all ... clothing, etc.
- Probably removing literally almost everything, pots and pans, silverware, etc.

We leave some jackets in the trailer as well as a few other articles of camping specific clothing.

No need to take out pots and pans, silverware or putting mattresses in plastic storage covers. In fact we pretty much leave everything in the trailer year round. We used to remove nearly everything and it was too much work for no gain.

As far as mice, we've been parking trailers on a gravel pad for nearly 25 years next to our attached garage which always has mice. Never any mice in the trailers. No dryer sheets, certainly no moth balls, no poisons (that just attracts them). We don't leave any food in over the winter. We clean it thoroughly. There are no bushes, brush, or any growth around or under the trailer. I believe this is why we never get mice. They won't go out in the open where predators can spot them.

On the flip side I have yet to read about one consistent one size fits all method of rodent control.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMPERMIKE View Post
Hey...

So, I am a new 2017 Jayco 32BHDS owner and never winterized a trailer before. We seasonally dock in the Catskills, NY, so we expect some harsh winters and lots of snow.

Here is my checklist of things to do:

- Anti Freeze all Pipes, Hoses, Tanks, Faucets, toilet, etc (I get this part)
- Tire Covers
- Outer Cover
- Remove all food and clothing, etc.
- Taking Battery Home

This is what I can't decide on to deal with mice:

- Been told to put dryer sheets around the trailer
- Been told to put mint drop around the trailer
- Been told to human hair around the trailer
- Been told to put mouse traps to poison around the trailer (but I feel like this would attract them, no?)

Also, I can't decide if I should add plastic wrap to my trailer. I was thinking of using like pallet wrap, then adding the cover.

Tips and advice helpful and appreciated!

Mike
I do not put the mattresses in bags. I let the breath.
no reason to remove and pots/pans, utensils and so forth. They can handle the cold.

If it is designated as camping cloths I leave it in the camper.

Mouse deterrents, I have tried them all, and nothing truly works except a trap. After removing all the food, scrub my htt from top to bottom making sure to get ride of any food, and food smells. My HTT, is stored in a barn way up north, so I place a number of stick traps inside the htt. I also spent a lot of time under the HTT, looking for any tiny hole that a mouse might use to get in. I filled every hole with steel wool and then caulked them shut.

With this method I have NEVER had a mouse inside my camper, nor an old car.

My cousin swears by pure peppermint oil, but I have not tried it, but I do have peppermint plants growing at home, and have not scene mice in my garden.

I cannot really help with the cover, as I do not use one. I do know people have issues with the wind blowing and them flapping and marking up the TT, or the gutters tearing into the cover.

good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #6

I have a 195rb that I got last year.

I crawled under and found that they foamed around gas and water lines running through the underbelly. But, not so great a job. Places where I could fit two or more fingers near some of the openings. There was nothing around the shower connection to the grey water tank.

I got pest block foam and some old screen wire. Cut pieces of screen and crammed in the holes then foamed them in place.

Then I went inside and screen wired and foamed openings where wires and pipes came up through the floor.

I also put several sticky traps in the several areas including the storage area and the water tank area. Each trap was on a piece of plastic so any waste from a dead mouse would not stain the floor. I also went outside and crafted screen wire covers over the refrigerator vents. Purchased pre-made ones for the furnace pipe.

Needless to say but I have had invasions and damage in prior trailers and never want it again. I don't trust chemicals when I can make a serious permanent block to entry points.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I would not suggest strink wrap on camper, seals in moisture. Just use your cover, it's breathable.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote