Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #1

Winterizing for the first time, 1 question

I just got done draining the hot water heater, and running antifreeze through the water lines.

i had already dumped my black/gray tanks after we got done with our last trip. Do I need to dump my tanks again? All that is in them is the water that remained in the lines as I pumped anti freeze through the lines. There is also some of the anti freeze mixed in with the water. Probably a gallon or two of liquid in all.

Thanks for any advice.
2017 26bh
Jaums04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just drain the Tanks in a bucket..........and down the toilet in the home. Don't have to much liquid in your tank for expansion.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #3

Depending on where you park maybe you can just drain that tiny bit of fluid on the ground. The anti freeze is non toxic.
Or into a bucket is better.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #4

I leave the pink stuff and water that come from winterizing in my holding tanks. The antifreeze won't expand when it gets cold so there isn't a risk of the fittings breaking. Also It keeps the wiper seals on the valves from drying out and cracking. I have had that problem with other slice valves.
Of course depending on your dilution the freeze point changes, and RV antifreeze will freeze, it just doesn't expand and burst pipes. If you are in an area where you need maximum protection from your antifreeze I'd keep it as undiluted as possible.
I used compressed air to blow the lines, then pump antifreeze through them and down the drains.
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

I like the dumping in a bucket idea. Then after that be sure to add some antifreeze in all the sink/shower traps. Any antifreeze in the holding tanks after that I would leave (shouldn't be much)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

I don't have a high deep freeze risk down here, but I will leave ONLY AF in my tanks. I will drain them both completely and then put about a half gallon of AF in each tank. The gray tank gets it when I'm filling my P Traps, and the black tank gets it in the toilet.

I blow my lines out with compressed air and will leave the gray valve open as I do this so it drains immediately.

Just a thought as I was typing this, the gray tank will have a slight dilution to it because of the water remaining in the P traps. Again, I don't have a high freeze risk here so I don't worry about that. I do, however, want to make sure all my valves and seals stay wet.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #7

I pull the shower connection as well
Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #8

I like pushing the city water connection (check valve) to ensure antifreeze is there. You could drop the freshwater pump suction strainer, I have has it crack before.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #9

Don't forget the low point drain on your fresh water tank. That drain tube might be 2-3' long and it might have a slight bow in it because it's not supported so push it up in the center so the last bit of water drains out.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Don't forget the low point drain on your fresh water tank. That drain tube might be 2-3' long and it might have a slight bow in it because it's not supported so push it up in the center so the last bit of water drains out.
don't forget your outdoor shower. it is a pretty flimsy hose that has burst on me before.

I disconnect both the inside and outside shower nozzles and hoses. And I winterize my waterlines and HW heater with compressed air, then dump some antifreeze in the p-traps and toilet bowl.

I'm going to try the bucket idea on my black tank. I can never get that fully drained or cleaned.

This last time out, I resisted the urge to dump mid trip. I waited until I was hooking up to leave before I dumped the tanks. Black tank still shows 3/4 full (fouled sensors is my guess).

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post

I'm going to try the bucket idea on my black tank. I can never get that fully drained or cleaned.

This last time out, I resisted the urge to dump mid trip. I waited until I was hooking up to leave before I dumped the tanks. Black tank still shows 3/4 full (fouled sensors is my guess).

Tim
I spent the weekend cleaning and prepping my TT for winter, to include the black tank bucket brigade mentioned above.
I found an adapter for the bathroom sink that allows me to connect a short length of garden hose to the faucet. That way I can use a wand down the toilet without dragging a hose through the trailer.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote