Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Winterizing Jayco Eagle

First time RV owner. My husband has done a lot of reading on the internet regarding winterizing, some places say to put RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank also. Then use some bleach thru the tank after draining. Does anyone do this? Newbee
Bonieta Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #2

In the beginning of the camping season you need to sanitize the entire water system. That is what the bleach is used for. It is not used in winterizing. If you fresh water tank is empty you don't need to add antifreeze to it. If water can get in the drain valve and or line, and freeze it will break. I leave the valve open all winter so that nothing will freeze in the valve or line. As long as water has room to expand it will not hurt anything by freezing.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

A lot of internet reading can be dangerous! I see that you live in Florida, do you really need to winterize to start with? Anyways, this is the place for the right answers. Every one here owns a Jayco RV, thus you will usually receive the correct answer. Personally, I wouldn't put RV antifreeze in my fresh water tank, but then again, I just bought my first Jayco in July, and won't be winterizing until after Thanksgiving. Besides that, my dealer told me he would winterize it the first year for free. The answers will come!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

There is no need to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Just drain the water as much as possible. What little bit remains has plenty of room for expansion if it does freeze and will not harm anything. Do not put bleach in the tank for storage.

You can use a weak bleach solution to sanitize the system come spring. There are several threads on methods people use for doing this.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Winterizing Jayco Eagle

Guess I need to be more clear....We do live in FL, but, bought the RV in KY in Sept of this year. Left it parked in a mobile home park there in KY to use as a place to go to thru out the year. Husband did winterize according to what he had read on the Internet. Didn't find the forum until we were getting ready to come home, lol. We were thinking that maybe we could go back up in Dec., but, second thoughts there. Would love to go back in the cold weather, but we would probably freeze to death!!!. Hopefully, he got it winterized right and we won't have anything broken when we do go back. Then from what I have read, need to sanitize the tanks after draining the antifreeze..Appreciate all comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
There is no need to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Just drain the water as much as possible. What little bit remains has plenty of room for expansion if it does freeze and will not harm anything. Do not put bleach in the tank for storage.

You can use a weak bleach solution to sanitize the system come spring. There are several threads on methods people use for doing this.
Bonieta Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote