Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #1

Wired For Solar

I have a 2016 Eagle model 318 RETS 36 foot travel trailer came with polar package, it also suppose to come pre wired for solar by Go Power. My interior wall has a decal on the wall in order to install a 30 amp solar controller. after the RV dealer removed the temp plate in order to install the controller they found no wires in order to hook it up. it is supposed to behind the wall when you cut out the temp plate (Per Jayco). It does have a solar plug installed by the battery box you hook your solar panel to the plug and then you attached the small jumper cables to the batterys them self, so why is this advertised pre-wired for solar when it is not pre-wired. I have a cable control panel already installed on the roof to plug your panels on the roof but I can't find the wires that is supposed to be in the wall in order to hook your solar control too.
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

I have the port and wiring on the front of my Eagle 318 RETS that is located on the tow frame but I was trying to find out if there is a charge controller and is there wiring to the port on the roof or other places. the manual says it is located in the wall if you plan on installing a Go Power 30-Amp Digital Solar Controller with USB Port (GP-PWM-30) I called Jayco and they were no help where the wiring would be located you would think since they build this. The RV dealer tech said the only way to see if it is pre-wired is to take off the roof mount to see where the wire is bundled up at it's supposed to be wired down the wall where you would cut out that temp plate decal on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
I have a 2016 Eagle model 318 RETS 36 foot travel trailer came with polar package, it also suppose to come pre wired for solar by Go Power. My interior wall has a decal on the wall in order to install a 30 amp solar controller. after the RV dealer removed the temp plate in order to install the controller they found no wires in order to hook it up. it is supposed to behind the wall when you cut out the temp plate (Per Jayco). It does have a solar plug installed by the battery box you hook your solar panel to the plug and then you attached the small jumper cables to the batterys them self, so why is this advertised pre-wired for solar when it is not pre-wired. I have a cable control panel already installed on the roof to plug your panels on the roof but I can't find the wires that is supposed to be in the wall in order to hook your solar control too.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #3

There is no charge controller pre-installed. On my x213, we have pre-wired for solar on the roof, where the charge controller can be installed in the "pre-wired for solar" cutout. There should be wires behind the panel, but I didn't check in mine, since I didn't install roof top solar.

The solar SAE plug on the frame goes directly to the battery. I cut the lines and put a charge controller inbetween the plug and the battery. I then hook up a regular 100 W solar panel to the SAE plug on the frame. Works pretty well, and I can park the trailer in the shade and put the panel in the sun.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Thank you, What I wanted to do since I already have the roof mount installed I wanted to install a solar panel on the roof, but I can't find the wires coming from the roof mount that is suppose to be behind the wall where the temp plate decal is, it gives you a warning when cutting the temp plate not to cut the roof mounted wires behind the decal, so far there NO wires behind the decal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
There is no charge controller pre-installed. On my x213, we have pre-wired for solar on the roof, where the charge controller can be installed in the "pre-wired for solar" cutout. There should be wires behind the panel, but I didn't check in mine, since I didn't install roof top solar.

The solar SAE plug on the frame goes directly to the battery. I cut the lines and put a charge controller inbetween the plug and the battery. I then hook up a regular 100 W solar panel to the SAE plug on the frame. Works pretty well, and I can park the trailer in the shade and put the panel in the sun.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
Thank you, What I wanted to do since I already have the roof mount installed I wanted to install a solar panel on the roof, but I can't find the wires coming from the roof mount that is suppose to be behind the wall where the temp plate decal is, it gives you a warning when cutting the temp plate not to cut the roof mounted wires behind the decal, so far there NO wires behind the decal.
My guess is that you already did this:
-Check with a flashlight in the wall cavity around the cutout, to see if wires have somehow moved within the wall?
-Check if the roof connector is actually there?

From my research on the "pre-wired" for solar stuff, people generally found wires behind the decal, although they were not labeled.

My feeling is that you may be better off routing the wires through the fridge vent. Then, you can actually put the charge controller close to the battery, which is the much better design. Plus, you are not stuck using the expensive go-power charge controller, but you can use any you like. You get a decent mppt controller for the same price. There are lots of how-to videos on youtube on this.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

Yes the RV dealer Tech did check and I do have a roof connector, I already have a Go Power 30-Amp Digital Solar Controller with USB Port (GP-PWM-30) that came with the Trailer but was not installed. checked in the wall with flashlight no wires and the roof controller is right above where you would think they would drop the wring down where the temp plate decal is located on the wall. here are some pictures which I think the roof connector wires are the ones that have the blue cap, one black wire is attached to the fuse box and the other black wire leads down some where below the trailer the two red wires appear to be coming from the roof where the controller is located but it should be one black wire and one red wire coming from the roof controller from the roof. Either Jayco only extend the roof wires to this panel and not go through the wall where the decal is located. My solar on the side mount plug is located on the frame up front which only connects to the two battery's for a portable solar panel which Jayco left a 15 amp panel in the trailer with a plug to attach it to the trailer plug on the frame.

Quote:
My guess is that you already did this:
-Check with a flashlight in the wall cavity around the cutout, to see if wires have somehow moved within the wall?
-Check if the roof connector is actually there?

From my research on the "pre-wired" for solar stuff, people generally found wires behind the decal, although they were not labeled.

My feeling is that you may be better off routing the wires through the fridge vent. Then, you can actually put the charge controller close to the battery, which is the much better design. Plus, you are not stuck using the expensive go-power charge controller, but you can use any you like. You get a decent mppt controller for the same price. There are lots of how-to videos on youtube on this.
Attached Thumbnails
HPIM0044.jpg   HPIM0046.jpg   HPIM0047.jpg   HPIM0048.jpg  
Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #7

Looks like there is a stud on the right side of the cutout. Could the wires be to the right side of the stud?

I think you have to take this up with Jayco again, maybe through your dealer. Clearly, this would be a manufacturing defect, if you paid for the solar ready prep, but the prep isn't here.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

Jayco was no help, and whats behind the stud is wires for the bathroom lights switch. The only option is to have the RV tech take off the roof mounted controller and see where the wires are feed into the wall, I hate doing that.

Quote:
Looks like there is a stud on the right side of the cutout. Could the wires be to the right side of the stud?

I think you have to take this up with Jayco again, maybe through your dealer. Clearly, this would be a manufacturing defect, if you paid for the solar ready prep, but the prep isn't here.