Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

Wiring/Ducting 2nd AC to Thermostat

Well'p I'm a first time full RV'er I guess you can say since I'm out of town working 90% of the time.
I have a 2015 Jayco Eagle 338RETS and it has a second A/C unit in the bedroom, it cools it down quick and if left in the coldest position it can bring the room down to 54F in Texas weather at night (78F outside).

The central AC is ducted and the room vent from the central AC can only keep the room cooled down to 72-74F when set to 68F, the living room has no issue cooling down to thermostat temp. Closing the vents in the living room only causes the central AC unit to run all night as it never reaches shut-off temp. I usually sleep with temps at 65-68.

Well anyways, I don't like how my 2nd AC is controlled by a Knob that doesn't display degrees just a blue/red tapering bars. Also how it never shuts off, you can hear the compressor shut off whenever it reaches temperature but the fan stays consistently running and it's extremely loud since it's not ducted.

So my question is
1.) Have any of you wired up the second AC unit to a thermostat?
2.) Is it possible to wire a Nest Thermostat to the current central unit? if not both? I'm at work from 4:30am to 6pm. Based on my external temp sensor the inside temps of the RV get up to 77F during the day with the central AC running so I'm sure it stays on all day. I would like to have it scheduled to changed to 80F from noon-5PM and have both kick on after 5PM.

3.) Has anyone ducted their second AC unit to the main duct to have both running and cool the RV down evenly? Would also help a lot with the noise, the duct is literally next to the unit and I'm sure I can fabricate and inlet to it.
LethalLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

You need a new ducted ceiling grill for the second a/c. You will need the relay box for the roof . Now if you have a old style t-stat you can put any residential stat in that is battery powered. However if you have the new 3 wire digital stat you are stuck with it , unless you want to do a major overhaul. The duct is the easy part , just cut it open at the unit. Good luck.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote