Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

View Poll Results: Which type of siding would you buy?
Fiberglass 52 61.18%
Aluminium 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatherFam View Post
ALJO and schrederman, have either of you done anything to seal your units (roof, cap, wall/roof seams, windows . . .)? Any other effective techniques with laminated walls?
So far I've done nothing extra on the outside. I did look over all of the outside sealing/caulking... very carefully... I've used 2 cans of spray foam to seal off the inside from the outside. The thing I do that helps the most... in my opinion... is to keep it in covered storage, completely out of the sun and rain.

I'm a structures guy... not that I've studied them heavily, but there's a lot of common sense applied there. The laminated wall structure is made up of 4 components... none of which is strong. The aluminum tube frame would be stronger if they'd weld it instead of just tacking it together... Then comes the foam pieces that they put into the frame. Next are the "fiberglass" skins. And finally the glue. None of these are strong by themselves. Put it all together properly with ample time for the glue to cure, and it's stronger than a goat's breath......

Some have spoken about the high percentage of delamination. I am pretty sure that the percentage of aluminum siding pieces loosening up because of missed staples, partially missed staples, staples that didn't get put there at all, etc... is just as great. It's a heck of a lot harder to see, but it's there. And unless there is a better way of putting the wood wall framing in than I've seen, that's no better than the tack welds for the aluminum frames in laminated walls.

Done correctly, my money's on the laminated wall. So far I've been completely satisfied with this kind of construction. I build model glider wings of balsa wood and a little carbon fiber. 1/16" balsa will easily crumble between your fingers. Once assembled correctly, these wings will bend 7/16' steel rods that join them and break 240# line on launch...

Have fun!

Jack
Old 05-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
FeatherFarm; the Tuffshell vacuum bonded process is very durable and is used in Europe already in the 80's. Nowadays they in the US RV industry they use press rolled, which is a cheaper process and diminish quality and delamination will occur with temperature differentiations. But on any RV when window's and roof overlapping are properly sealed a lot of problems can be avoided. Most of the foamy seals in present RV's will leak so it is better to replace them with automotive window seal. North American RV industry standards are very poor. They get away with to many things.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #23

I have fb on my 2014 by but I'll have Alu siding on my new jayflight only because I trust more conventional construction ..
.its cheaper and since we all know how cheaply made the rv are the less money I put into one the better I feel about the purchase

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
No delamination on the Tuffshell from 2005, vacuum bonded process
Is anyone aware of just what vacuum bonded means? Actually the flat sides, that are pinched rolled get a better bond. They vacuum bond curves because you can't pinch roll them. Vacuum bonding uses atmospheric pressure to apply the pressure. The panel is basically slide into a bag...the air is evacuated used vacuum and the natural air pressure applies the actual pressure to bond the panels. With pinch rolling, the wall panel goes through what looks similar to the old wringer washing machines.. Rubber rollers apply the pressure to bond the panels.

The same system is used in laminating wood veneer or laminate panels.. either pinch (typical) or vacuum when the shape won't allow it to pass through the pinch roller system. Nothing special about either system, pinch rolling can apply more pressure and more complete coverage typically.

The weak link is the adhesive, which we know can be effected by water, and heat to some extent.

The money I saved by going with metal, I could almost redo much of the unit if I needed to, not that I have ever had too.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote