Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #1

Would you consider this "normal"

Went camping at the beach this past weekend. As usual, it was hot and humid. I have a 15k AC unit, but it fights to keep my bunkhouse cool. Anyways, I decided to try something at night to help keep the sleeping areas cool. I closed all the overhead vents, except the one in the bedroom, and the one in the bunkhouse. It did push more air into the bunkhouse. After waking up, having coffee, and walking the beach I returned to the TT. I noticed that in the general area of both closed vents in the living area, condensation on the ceiling. It was cold to the touch which leads me to believe it was a result of closing the vents. Naturally, I then opened them, but we then had to pack up and leave. Anyone else experience this before? Is there anything to worry about? Any ideas? TIA
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #2

Hi Krackeer....being in the HVAC industry....it sounds like by closing the vents you reduced the airflow in the general area of the vents caused the condensation. The other issue is you may have small air leaks in the duct inside the ceiling. Restricting the airflow could be the cause of your issue forcing the cold air to find the path of least resistance.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

Having worked for two HVAC companies in my early years I'd agree with camping couple's statement that restricting air flow in your humid conditions caused the condensation. As for having something to worry about, only if opening your vents next trip doesn't mitigate the issue. A properly balanced heating/cooling system can become a problem if air flow is substantially blocked, and that may well be what caused your problem.

Our camper is about the same size, also with a 15k ac and it's easily taxed by a little heat. Two smaller units would do a much better job. You can bet our next one will have 50 amp service and two air conditioners.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #4

I also will get some condensation on the ceiling around the vent if running the a/c full blast overnight, but only in the bathroom. I attest this to the bathroom being very small.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #5

Same problem with Jayfeather 242

Just got back from very hot/humid area with my 242. I do the same thing at night - close most of the vents except the bedroom. We get condensation particularly around the open vent in the bedroom in my case. The bedroom has a door that never has sealed properly so more air leaks in near this vent. to be sure, I removed the vent and checked above it and there was no dampness. So it was clearly condensation. Open all vents during the day and the dampness goes away until the next night.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather Ultra Lite 242
altalk is offline   Reply With Quote