Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #1

Would You Do It? (SLX vs Jayflight)

Just like the title says........
We currently have a Jayco 28BHS Jayflight with the Elite package and absolutely love the trailer however we have been kicking around getting a bigger slide out for more floor space. Anyhow our current dealer has an 26BHS floor plan in an SLX version and for basically an even trade for our 28BHS.

My question is has anyone went form the Jayflight to the SLX and how did they feel about it. I really mean no offense to the current SLX owners but I have just gotten so used to my 90+ gallon water capacity, tank flusher, dark tinted windows, and all the other options I'm not sure how I would feel about it.

Is there any construction difference between the SLX and the Jayflight or is it more just cosmetic upgrades? So far the differences I have noted on the SLX are listed below.
  • Half the water capacity
  • 20 lb propane tanks with no covers
  • Curtains instead of the doors to the front sleeping area
  • No medicine cabinet
  • Missing shelves in side of cabinets
  • No cabinet doors over the front bed
  • No raised panel doors on the cabinets
  • No ladder on the back
  • No window side curtains
  • No control panel box to hide all the switches
  • Tv does not swing around to the front bed
  • No tank Flusher
  • Steel Rims
  • Cheaper mattress
  • No wall thermostat for the AC
  • Different Axles

Am I missing anything?

Still not sure I am sold on trading at all as I love the Maxi Store door on my current rig and I now know this one top to bottom and have always taken excellent care of it. However the extra floor space would be great for the 2+ week trip we are taking next year.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Sounds like you answered your own question
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
Just like the title says........
We currently have a Jayco 28BHS Jayflight with the Elite package and absolutely love the trailer however we have been kicking around getting a bigger slide out for more floor space. Anyhow our current dealer has an 26BHS floor plan in an SLX version and for basically an even trade for our 28BHS.

My question is has anyone went form the Jayflight to the SLX and how did they feel about it. I really mean no offense to the current SLX owners but I have just gotten so used to my 90+ gallon water capacity, tank flusher, dark tinted windows, and all the other options I'm not sure how I would feel about it.

Is there any construction difference between the SLX and the Jayflight or is it more just cosmetic upgrades? So far the differences I have noted on the SLX are listed below.
  • Half the water capacity
  • 20 lb propane tanks with no covers
  • Curtains instead of the doors to the front sleeping area
  • No medicine cabinet
  • Missing shelves in side of cabinets
  • No cabinet doors over the front bed
  • No raised panel doors on the cabinets
  • No ladder on the back
  • No window side curtains
  • No control panel box to hide all the switches
  • Tv does not swing around to the front bed
  • No tank Flusher
  • Steel Rims
  • Cheaper mattress
  • No wall thermostat for the AC
  • Different Axles

Am I missing anything?

Still not sure I am sold on trading at all as I love the Maxi Store door on my current rig and I now know this one top to bottom and have always taken excellent care of it. However the extra floor space would be great for the 2+ week trip we are taking next year.
No wounder it's basically an even trade, that's a lot to give up. Look's to me like you would be down grading from what you have now.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
Site Team

The specs for that model are not on the website yet, but with the Swift/Jayflight lineup of the past in the same floorplans had different GVWR and cargo carrying capacity. The jayflights would have more of each. So they likely have larger axles and tires.

One example is the 26BH and 264BH, identical floorplans:

264BH Swift GVWR 6500, CCC 2145

Jayflight 26BH GVWR 7000 CCC 2635

It is also noteworthy in the construction details the Swift says "5/8 decking" for the floor while the Jayflight says "5/8 tongue & groove plywood'. Not sure what the difference is, if any. But I hope they are not using OSB on the Swifts and SLX`s.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Team

A more complete comparison on specs just for kicks.

26BH Jayflight
Weights & Measures
WEIGHTS
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,365
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 485
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 7,000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,635
MEASUREMENTS
Exterior Length 29' 1"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 127"
Interior Height 81"
Queen Bed 60 x 74
Bunk Beds 48 x 76
Sofa 42 x 70
Wheel Base 226-1/4"
TANK CAPACITIES
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 48
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater & opt. Elite Package fresh water tank 90
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 39
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 39

264BH Swift
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) 4,355
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) 485
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) 6,500
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) 2,145
MEASUREMENTS
Exterior Length 29' 1"
Exterior Width 96"
Exterior Height with A/C 127"
Interior Height 81"
Queen Bed 60 x 74
Double Bed 48 x 76
Bunk Bed 30 x 76
Double Bunk Bed (Optional) 48 x 76
J-Steel Convertible Sofa 42 x 70
Wheel Base 226-1/4"
TANK CAPACITIES
Fresh Water Capacity (gals) includes water heater 48.2
Gray Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
Black Waste Water Capacity (gals) 32.5
OTHER
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:31 PM   #6

The question is... would I do it. No, I wouldn't step down from the Jay Flight to the SLX. Go walk into a SLX and look and feel the difference.

The price difference between the 2 is minimal when you consider all the additional features you get, especially with the Elite package. I love that big handle by the door, makes it easier for my 2 year old daughter to climb. The skylight in the living room is worth every penny if that was the only option. The double fresh water tanks if you are in a state park are priceless. LED lighting is standard in the new JayFlights I believe... not sure if its even an option in the SLX line.

Have you sat down and looked at the numbers? If you are financing the 2013 and would, in turn, be financing the new SLX you might be surprised at the minimal price difference upgrading to the JayFlight line.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
The question is... would I do it. No, I wouldn't step down from the Jay Flight to the SLX. Go walk into a SLX and look and feel the difference.

The price difference between the 2 is minimal when you consider all the additional features you get, especially with the Elite package. I love that big handle by the door, makes it easier for my 2 year old daughter to climb. The skylight in the living room is worth every penny if that was the only option. The double fresh water tanks if you are in a state park are priceless. LED lighting is standard in the new JayFlights I believe... not sure if its even an option in the SLX line.

Yeah I tend to agree with everything you were saying. Thanks for pointing out the lights as I didn't realize that one. I did go walk through the SLX and I wasn't in love with it. I really like the Elite package for a lot of reasons but one if which is the extra fresh water as we do almost 100% of our camping at state parks with nothing but electric. I have yet to ever worry about running out of water with my current rig.

From everyone's comments so far it looks like the majority of the differences are all cosmetic other than the potential of the floor being different. Next time I am over near my dealer I will swing through and verify the floor.

I personally told my wife that I would rather stick with our current 28BHS with Elite package than get the SLX(but you know what they say, If Momma isn't happy no one is happy) lol. I just wanted to know if there were other differences that I was missing. As far as financing goes we have a lot of equity in our current rig so we wouldn't have to finance all that much more to go with the Jayflight 26BHS.

Our 28BHS still looks and smells like new.......

Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

I would keep what you have if it were me
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

I am (hopefully) taking possession of a BH26 (I don't want slides due to paranoia about water leaks) tomorrow. My wife and I looked at the SLX and felt the Flight just felt more solid. Your 28BHS looks great. I'd be very hesitant giving it up.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #10

When I bought my SLX, i called the factory and confirmed that the floor is OSB. In fact, the floor board is a single piece of custom OSB on the 7' wide models.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #11

When we bought our 26BH, we looked at a 264BH SLX they had sitting right next to it - we decided it was more than worth the price difference for the 26BH and we couldn't be happier! We couldn't see the extra cost or weight for a slide though, as we don't tend to spend a lot of time sitting in the camper (our dog spends more time in it than we do).

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #12

So, the dealer will "give" you the SLX for an even swap of a used, two year old trailer?

No brainier. Keep the jayflight
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #13

Is there a difference in the frame construction? We just took delivery of a Jayflight 26BH and it has an "I-class cambered structural steel I-beams" frame...the 264BHW SLX version has "4-inch cambered steel box tube frame". Probably explains the cargo capacity differences as well...

Also, I remember looking at an SLX and I don't think that the cabinet over the sink extended over the couch - so less overhead storage on that side of the trailer.

Also, had a shelf over the queen bed instead of a cabinet with doors.
Previous - 2011 Jay Series 1007 (traded); 2016 Jay Flight 26BH (traded)
TommyAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:47 AM   #14

What am I missing? Sounds like you're looking at a 26' SLX vs. you're current 28' Flight. While I understand the SLX will give you a bigger slide for more floor space, isn't that offset by the shorter TT?

FWIW, I'd keep the Flight.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyAjax View Post
Also, I remember looking at an SLX and I don't think that the cabinet over the sink extended over the couch - so less overhead storage on that side of the trailer.

Also, had a shelf over the queen bed instead of a cabinet with doors.
Another reason we went with the 26BH over the SLX.

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersimpson View Post
When I bought my SLX, i called the factory and confirmed that the floor is OSB. In fact, the floor board is a single piece of custom OSB on the 7' wide models.
I like your rig Homer. What's your gas mileage pulling the SLX?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruswms View Post
I like your rig Homer. What's your gas mileage pulling the SLX?
Around 15 mpg. Gets only 20 mpg w/o the TT. 4.10 axles hurt mileage but help pulling a load.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #18

That's pretty good, I get about 10-11 to max. Fortunately gas is pretty cheap right now and a fill up is around 50. I remember paying 80 last year it seemed like every 200 miles and that really cuts back on the long range trips.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #19

No way I would make that trade. We bought a '13 267bhs swift back in late 2012. If we had it to do over would have went with the flight. We were moving up from a pop up. It is our first hard side travel trailer so a lot of the things that annoy me I didn't think would be a big deal. My top two annoyances are tank size and lack of outside storage access on the front street side. I like it other than that. We'll know for next time, already looking in fact. Weight may be what keeps us in the swift awhile longer though. I really like the 29qbs and 28bhbe, but believe it to be bordering on too much for the 1500 truck.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #20

I never made the trade I just liked the amenities of my 28 BHS elite way to much.