Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #1

Incorrect, Failing Leaf Springs

2021 Jay Flight 29rks
Dexter D52 axles (5,200lb)

All four of our leaf spring sets appear to be flattening. They are definitely flatter than other travel trailers that we have looked at and viewed on videos. Most of the other trailers have a 5.5"-7" space/gap between the spring top plate and the bottom of the chassis (I Beam). Our space/gap is only 4.5"-4.75". We also note that we only have 4 leaf springs on all four sets of leaf springs. The Dexter 5200 axles retailed online have leaf spring sets with 5 springs.

We discovered this as we were measuring for a suspension upgrade that we are considering.

We are Jayco's direct customer; we are indirectly a Dexter customer. Jayco is Dexter's customer. In our view, Jayco should have never released and sold a unit with an under-built suspension. They should have measures and practices that would identify deficient sets of springs on axles. That is unless Jayco orders them this way from Dexter on the cheap. It is not safe or prudent to put a set of 4 springs on a D52 axle. 4 spring leaf sets are common on lower weight rated axles. Maybe it's a bare minimum matter, and Jayco goes for the cheap (suspect, questionable, low-quality) minimum. IDK?

What's the best approach to remedy this? Do we call Dexter or Jayco? Dexter built the axle. But does Jayco order them built on the cheap (a low quality subline) for their product? Which company would handle failing leaf springs on a 2021 Jayco travel trailer?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you happen to notice if there is a data tag or numbers on the spring themselves that you could determine what rate they are?

In any case, if they are flattening, you would probably need to start with your dealer and have them submit a warranty claim with Jayco as your first step toward replacement.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:29 PM   #3

The certification sticker on the driver-front of the coach says that the GAWR is 4,400lbs. for the front and rear axles. That is a total of 8,800lbs. The GVWR for the total trailer is 9,300lbs.

So maybe the springs are barely adequate, and that's why they are flattening. Or is the flattened leaf and smaller gap between the base plate and the chassis "normal" for 4 leaf sets? If it is considered normal and meeting the "industry" bare minimum, I guess we will have to upgrade our springs. Tons of people have done this; the web is full of folks with this problem.

Our CAT Scale axle weight with WDH engaged is 7,220lbs. The total trailer weight with WDH is 7,960lbs. = We are not overloading the axles or the total trailer.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:30 PM   #4

As Midnightmoon said, you start with your dealer. However all components are warranted by their individual manufacturer so Jayco may direct the dealer to Dexter. Your dealer has to make the claim on your behalf.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:34 PM   #5

You will probably hear that the tongue takes a substantial amout of the rater Gross weight trailer rating.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #6

My X17z (way way back) had 3k pound axles for a 3500 GVWR trailer. So I know Jayco absolutely uses the tongue weight to cheap out on the axle rating at times. It’s one of the reasons I got rid of that trailer; I had to be almost perfect w/ my weights or I was over on my axle. My little X17z only had 400 or 500 pounds of cargo available to it.

Expensive lesson learned, one of many.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:47 AM   #7

Update:

We have found some 5k and higher axle spring sets that use 4 springs.

We are going to try to call the spring manufacturer to find out the capacity of our springs. Apparently, the tag strapped around the springs identifies the manufacturer and spring model. We will also see what they say about the small gap/space between the top plate and the axle. Then we will call Dexter to get their take on it. It may result in "can-kicking," but we'll turn over the stones to learn what we can.

Additionally, we will call the dealer. If this is common/normal, it may be that the service manager can speak to it on the phone. If not, we will make yet another unreimbursed haul to the dealer.

If the "low profile" of the springs is normal, then we will keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get lower. We have our current measurements to use as a baseline. In the meantime, we will look at the options for improving the suspension. In all likelihood, Jayco (if they did anything to help), is just going to throw another set of the same at it. But we'll educate ourselves a bit more and see what happens with our discussions with the spring company, Dexter, and the dealer.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
You will probably hear that the tongue takes a substantial amout of the rater Gross weight trailer rating.
Yes, tis true. Our loaded tongue weight with WDH engaged is 1,160lbs. (per CAT Scale).
Old 11-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
My X17z (way way back) had 3k pound axles for a 3500 GVWR trailer. So I know Jayco absolutely uses the tongue weight to cheap out on the axle rating at times. It’s one of the reasons I got rid of that trailer; I had to be almost perfect w/ my weights or I was over on my axle. My little X17z only had 400 or 500 pounds of cargo available to it.

Expensive lesson learned, one of many.
Interesting.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #10

I had the same problems with springs several years ago on our 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW 33.5' Long, 7,500#GVWR. Coming home from a camping trip my son in law said our trailer was leaning to one side. Got home and saw where both springs on one side of the double axle were flattening out.
The best I could tell is the unit had two 3500# axles, so undersized in my opinion. I measured the springs on the unit and ordered 4 new 2000# (total: 8000#) leaf springs from eTrailer and installed them myself back 3 years ago. It took me about 4-5 hours of installation time. Cost of springs were $182.
It did raise the trailer up slightly, may 1.5 to 2 inches. No sagging problem since then.
TRIBUTE100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:15 AM   #11

Get those substandard leafsprings replaced with higher rated springs ASAP! I waited too long after my springs flattened and driving down the street one day the passenger side spring broke with loud POP. I had the broken side replaced with an OEM spring, then a year later the other side broke. So now I have the 5 leaf spring packs on each side with an increase of approximately 1000 pounds capacity. They are after market from Amazon.
440 scout is offline   Reply With Quote