Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #1

x213 Bed slide rear wall separating at corner from sidewall

Wondering if anyone could lend a little insight as to what size screw you'd suggest for replacement of existing 1" that are definitely not capable of retaining rear wall of unit in position with sidewall, as it moves -separates .25" or more when slide moves in, and yes it tightens up when fully open. In addition is there a adjustment to be made on the slide tracking system to eliminate what appears to be pressure on back wall when in the closed positions. It seems there are 2 horizontal right angle (support/ brace) anchor fasten to the mid-lower portion of wall supporting vertical upright supports that are attached directly under bed slide-out? could that horizontal support possibly be pushing rear wall out when closed because of the cantilevering effect? ...hoping that the 1" aluminum tube frame has not been compromised, any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
G Blondell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:16 PM   #2

It looks like nobody has answered you since September, so I'm sure you've already figured this out, but I'm working through a MAJOR disaster due to this exact problem, but not recognizing it. I have a 2012 X213 that I bought brand new.

The rear wall had separated for years and I didn't do proper maintenance on it like I should have. The seal underneath the corner molding had broken on both sides and has been letting water in for years. Now I'm dealing with a much greater issue, to include the floor buckling right where you jump down out of the slide bunk. I'll attach some pictures if I get a response from you so you can make sure you don't make my mistake.

Anyway, the original screws in the corner molding that attach the walls together are 3 inch from the factory. I realized several of mine have already broken due to water intrusion and further corrosion on the screws themselves as I am taking it apart. (Along with the pressure of the wall separating with the slide in)

I'm still working through what type of screw I am using to replace the original ones now that I am stopping the leaks. I've used a couple #10 so far and they look like they are going to work, but the factory ones appear to be #8.
MarkBair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #3

Wow Mark,
I was beginning to think I was the only person having this issue, thus I haven't been on this site since probably last December...anyway that said I thought I'd somewhat solved the problem, by one adjusting the bolts at the top of the upright support arm upon which the slide rails travel on and second replacing the screws with larger/ longer in hopes to grab the back side of the aluminum frame, but low and behold after traveling south this past winter it has once again begun to separate. I believe this most likely happened as a result of the bed slide bouncing (in closed position) while traveling over road bumps. I did see somewhere a suggestion from someone that using a rivet nut may work better to secure walls, as aluminum being soft that screw under pressure/ weight may pull back out over time. This is diffidently a manufacture flaw as were apparently not the only ones with this issue, as the structure/ framing of the back wall isn't beefy enough to support the weight of the slide...especially when these thing come out of the factory with the slides not adjusted properly, this was somewhat confirmed by the slide manufacture Lippert. Anyway that said and knowing that misery loves company, if you still have photos of your situation post them.
Thanks so much for your responding and hopefully your back on the road again!
Gary
G Blondell is offline   Reply With Quote