Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #1

X213 furnace blowing cold air

My x213 furnace (Dometic Model DFSD20121), stopped working, it blows only cold air. Fuse is okay. It seems like this model has a reset switch, and from previous research, I see the sail switch as a possible culprit. The only problem: However, there is no access panel in the back of the unit, where those are located. Is my only option to take out the whole furnace unit through the very tight front opening? That seems to be a major undertaking. Thanks in advance.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

Does the unit shut down after a short amount of time? Or does it continue to blow cold air?

I suspect the issue as a control board.

If the sail switch is the issue. The furnace tries to light, after a short amount of time maybe 15-30 seconds. The furnace shuts down. After about 3 attempts it stops trying.

As for removing the furnace, yes it is a pain. It must be removed from the front. Not sure where your furnace is located. Mine is under a drawer under the frig. With the drawer removed and a couple false panels, I can do some work without removing the furnace.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Somehow, the symptoms are not quite consistent. When the problem first started, the blower would just blow cold air forever. When I tested it again today, it would blow cold air for 20 seconds, then stop.

I managed to get the unit out from under the fridge, it was less work than I thought. Only two screws hold it at the front, and the three ducts for the air and the propane connection have to be removed. I checked out the sail switch with the multimeter, it is fine, also the sail switch is not dirty (the trailer is only 2 years old, and we haven't used the furnace much, maybe for a total of 3 days). When I had it out of the closet, I tested the furnace while not hooked up to propane, it would try to ignite (I hear the clicks, which I can't hear over the blower when the unit is installed).

I then put the furnace back in without hooking it back up to the air vents. Now, it ignites, but the flame stays on only for a few seconds, then stops. The blower stays on, and it reignites after 20 s or so, but again the flame stays on only for a few seconds. Strange.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #4

Our 2019 17Z started blowing cold air and the dealer had to remove the unit (difficult job) and then replaced the sail switch, bench tested and reinstalled. It has worked since. This switch seems to be the achilles heel of this unit.
1966 Tag-a-Long
Featherfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherfolks View Post
Our 2019 17Z started blowing cold air and the dealer had to remove the unit (difficult job) and then replaced the sail switch, bench tested and reinstalled. It has worked since. This switch seems to be the achilles heel of this unit.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, it seems the sail switch can create this kind of problem. However, removing the unit and testing the sail switch is much less difficult than it seems. It is really only held in place with two screws at the front (easily accessible) and then the exhaust tube in the back just slides out. The only remaining thing is to disconnect the propane hose at the front, then you can slide the whole unit out.

For my unit, when I took it out and tested it, everything was working again, including ignition and blowing hot air. I don't know what the problem was, I didn't really fix anything.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #6

x213 blowing cold air

I also have had the same problem. took the furnace out and tested the sail switch, which was clean, and also found it to be fine. reinstalled and just tested it again and it worked fine. then a few months later after another short trip I tried again, and now it's doing the same thing. I wonder if this has anything to do with the faulty regulator recall?
Removing at first seemed to be daunting as it had to be removed from the front, but after I got into it, it wasn't too hard and went fairly quickly. Next time I will install a quick disconnect on the wiring however, so I don't have to keep cutting the line and then re connecting.
If anyone has any other ideas before I just replace the switch and then the whole unit, I'm all ears.
ssokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
Thanks for the reply. Somehow, the symptoms are not quite consistent. When the problem first started, the blower would just blow cold air forever. When I tested it again today, it would blow cold air for 20 seconds, then stop.

I managed to get the unit out from under the fridge, it was less work than I thought. Only two screws hold it at the front, and the three ducts for the air and the propane connection have to be removed. I checked out the sail switch with the multimeter, it is fine, also the sail switch is not dirty (the trailer is only 2 years old, and we haven't used the furnace much, maybe for a total of 3 days). When I had it out of the closet, I tested the furnace while not hooked up to propane, it would try to ignite (I hear the clicks, which I can't hear over the blower when the unit is installed).

I then put the furnace back in without hooking it back up to the air vents. Now, it ignites, but the flame stays on only for a few seconds, then stops. The blower stays on, and it reignites after 20 s or so, but again the flame stays on only for a few seconds. Strange.
If you hear it trying to ignite, the sail switch is working. Have you had a lot of rain lately?
Old 10-13-2021, 06:05 PM   #8

No rain

Ive tried in several occasions mostly not around rainfall. I do hear it clicking but no ignition. Maybe the limit switch is bad? I might just get the whole tune up kit and replace the switches, igniter, and board. At About $100, its worth saving on the headache of the repeated problem.
Or at least I hope it remedies the issue…
Old 10-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #9

In the system is a flame sensor that makes sure the pilot is lit. If it is defective it could tell the board no flame and the board would shut everything down. Not expensive but also could be just out side the flame a little to far and it is not detecting the flame temp properly. Not expensive, maybe $15, and worth a shot if there is no other fault. I would suggest asking the maker what the exact factory position the flame sensor is in and see if it got bent somehow. Also ask if there is a diagnostic for this fault or item. Keep us informed.
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #10

flame sensor

i'm sure there is a flame sensor of some sort, but i never actually hear the system fire, only the click right after it first starts blowing. There is not a pilot as these have an igniter. My rationale is that if the limit switch is stuck closed, then the gas valve is never allowed to open up to fire the system. Very much the same way my clothes dryer worked and had crappy chinese made limit switches that burned out repeatedly. I will try to post an update once I get a chance to pull the unit again to test the limit switch for continuity. But I am most likely going to order the tune up kit to at least have on hand.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:34 AM   #11

One thing you may have unintentionally done was clean your contacts and tightened any loose wires that may have been causing an intermittent issue.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
One thing you may have unintentionally done was clean your contacts and tightened any loose wires that may have been causing an intermittent issue.
Could be. I went on another short trip at the beginning of October, and the furnace worked without a problem. I think what happened when it didn't work was that there was just blowing cold air, it didn't even try to ignite (no clicking).

The faulty propane regulator from the recall could of course also be a problem. I have to come to the dealer in the spring to get it fixed, they don't have the parts right now. it's a pain, because my dealer is 100 miles away.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #13

regulator

I am kind of hoping it isn't the regulator, because I am planning a trip in November and it could get a bit chilly! If taking it apart and reinstalling it did the trick, but then the issue came back, then I am not very impressed with the longevity of this unit.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #14

X213 furnace

Just thought id share some photos of how easy the furnace is to remove and some of the labels and part numbers. One screw holding the case to the platform, the gas line, and the 4 wires are all that were needed to slide this out. 4 wires are (2 for furnace, 2 for thermostat)
I have installed a new dinosaur board, new sail switch, new igniter, and waiting on the limit switch. (I just want to get all possible options replaced without repeatedly removing the unit) I also found a regulator in stock and it should be delivered today or tomorrow. I will let everyone know what the outcome is.
Attached Thumbnails
BA1A0130-BDFD-4E82-9764-8B58D3367AD3.jpg   65C93389-8906-4CAC-903D-4418F2F7F78C.jpg   76A552BD-4E79-4CA6-A2BF-D55622409A1E.jpg   A9B400C6-2597-45E8-9D8B-52576F4983EF.jpg   A330A3FF-E205-4AB5-A5C9-61727C90196A.jpg