Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #1

X213 vs Keystone 210URS

Hey folks! I must admit that Iím new to RVís. Iíve tent camped most of my life but my wife now wants a fully enclosed trailer. I do not really know what brands have higher quality that others. I do know that Airstream is considered nice but thatís way outside of our budget. I really like the style of the Jayco X213 and Keystone Outback210URS. Iíve been told that Jayco has nice quality, not the same as Airstream but much higher than other campers. Would people agree with this? And I do not know much about the Keystone Outback brand at all. Thoughts? Are there any folks out there that compared these two models? What did you like it not like about them? I like the smaller size. My Ford Ranger Crewcab would surely be able to handle either of these models. Any thoughts, please pass them along. Thanks! Andy
McMullap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #2

We have a 2019 x213 that we use for a family of four (two kids, 12 and 16). Generally, we like the layout and I don't think it is possible to get a king bed and a couch in any other trailer that size. The only negative is that the upper bunk is kind of tight. My 16 year old refuses to sleep in it, he sleeps on the couch, which kind of defeats the purpose of the bunk.

We tow with a 5.3l V8 Silverado, it tows well, never had even a hint of sway. However, I don't think I would want to tow it with anything smaller. The x213 has been reported to have high tongue weight. People have measured up to 1,000 lbs. My truck has 2,000 lbs payload, so we are okay, but make sure you look at the door sticker of your truck to check your payload. Might be the limiting factor.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. A 1,000# tongue weight would cause some problems. I have a lot of research to do. I know Jayco is generally considered higher quality in the camping industry. Iíll see if anyone has experience with the other brand to get their thoughts. Cheers.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullap View Post
Thanks for your reply. A 1,000# tongue weight would cause some problems. I have a lot of research to do. I know Jayco is generally considered higher quality in the camping industry. Iíll see if anyone has experience with the other brand to get their thoughts. Cheers.
We bought our x213 in April 2019. So far, no major problems. The only minor issue we had to go back to the dealer for was the peeling of the front decals after one year. After 2 years of camping, however, the wear is starting to show a bit. Some interior trim coming apart etc.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #5

I just purchased a 2021 x213 and after a couple trips I can't say its high quality. Door near the bunks won't stay closed, screen door in the main door doesn't stay closed either. Have a strip of wood coming off the lower bunk. Both doors under the table benches are hanging off. All this after only 3 trips. Minor stuff that would be a pain to bring to a service shop to fix.

I can't see the keystone being any lower quality then my new Jayco x213.
dmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #6

You may discover over time that quality is a moving target in the rv industry unless you're buying way above your means.

2017 White Hawk 30RDS (It's the wife's)

15 years on a Harley with a tent and then life happened.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #7

Welcome to the forums. You will find complaints about every brand out there. Someone here once described Jayco as an upper lever starter brand. I tend to agree. Another way to say it is it's one of the best non premium brands.

Buying now you will be paying 40% or more than pre Covid prices. I only mention that because in the industry price and quality don't seem to have a relationship in the best of times.

This may sound pessimistic but I hope not. I'm a happy Jayco owner and when the time comes will look at a new Jayco first.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #8

TaftCoach - I agree that right now is the worst time to buy a camper. We decided a few years ago that we would pay off our debt (finishing our basement) before we buy a camper. So while most people started to fall in love during Covid, we have always had our eye on a camper. Unfortunately, or fortunately, our debt is paid off and the hunt for a camper begins. I think the description of a Jayco is accurate, a nicer starter brand. I also need to ask X213 owners what their measured tongue weight is. Iíve heard everything from 500#-1,000#. I know it depends on how much crap and water you have on board but it seems to be a wide range. I want to make sure my tow vehicle will work. While I can a new vehicle if necessary, I would like to avoid that. So if anyone wants to share their tongue weight, that would be great! Thanks. Andy.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #9

An X213 has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 5500 pounds. If you maxed the trailer and had 15% of the weight on the tongue, that would only be 825 pounds. I think it would be pretty hard to have 1000 lbs. on the tongue.

Jayco has a 2 year warranty where the Outback has a 1 year but a 3 year on structural components.

Good luck on whichever one you chose.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears
Andersen WDH
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #10

Congratulations on being debt free!

You will read here "this shouldn't happen on something that costs X dollars!". Well the prices went up and the quality remains the same.

I'm a woodworker and have an eye for details. I can point out construction areas that are sloppy. Holes for tubing or pipes that are 50% larger than necessary. I have two lights above my bed, one is .5" from the edge, the other is 1.75" from the edge. Neither one changes the function, it's evidence of high production rates versus craftsmanship.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:35 PM   #11

I have a 2013 x213. I weighed the tongue using a truck scale and it measured 660lbs dry. It was done in the spring as I pulled it out of storage. One of the two propane tanks was empty. The battery was been removed and I removed the spare tire and the frame that holds it. Iím not sure about newer models but the spare on mine was under the propane tanks. With all that removed, I get 660lbs. You also have to realize on my 2013 the fluid tanks donít help any, and only make it worse.
X213 tank specs in gal. FW: 48, GW: 30.5, BW: 22
The FW is right on top of the axles, so this about neutral. The grey is just in front of the wheels and the black is in front of the grey.
Thus you can expect some serious weight if you need to travel some distance to get to a dump site.
As I mentioned, I was dry with zero cargo when I scaled. The little door and the bed that flips up is where you usually put larger items such as bikes, etc. This only adds more weight to the tongue.

Iím on my 3rd year with my x213 and tongue weight management has always been an issue. I pull with a 2015 F150 SCRW 4x4 5.0, 3.55.
LeMoeCND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:05 AM   #12

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the Outback series. Very well made units. Warranty is the big thing. Jayco has the best warranty out there, period. Keystone offers a 1 & 3 warranty. I guess it boils down to what you prefer the most. What about Jayco has you drawn? What on the Keystone has you drawn? Both are good units and I truly believe you can't go wrong with either camper. I've been partial to Jayco for many of years and have never been disappointed. I just recently bought a Keystone Montana due to it's reputation and build. I have to say, I looked at North Points very very hard but the Montana won in most categories. I was THIS close to buying a NP...even had the down payment on it, but I bailed. Both units were similar in price and features and weights. Customer service with Jayco has been awesome in the years I've needed them. Have never used Keystone's CS yet so I can't really comment on it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote